PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Polaroid film holders

ianrout
27-Feb-2014, 03:13
Hi World,

Wondering if someone can help me.
I have 81-12 polaroid processor with 81-09 tray, unfortunately the film holder is an 81-05 which doesn't appear to be compatible.
Is there a way around this to process my polaroid film (impossible project of course)? Or do I need to buy an 81-06 film holder?

Thanks for any help

Ian

Drew Bedo
27-Feb-2014, 08:30
Is there still any film in this size left anywhere?

Amedeus
27-Feb-2014, 08:35
Ian,

You need an 81-6 film holder or swap the processor for the correct one. (I have both types, they are indeed not compatible)

Hi World,

Wondering if someone can help me.
I have 81-12 polaroid processor with 81-09 tray, unfortunately the film holder is an 81-05 which doesn't appear to be compatible.
Is there a way around this to process my polaroid film (impossible project of course)? Or do I need to buy an 81-06 film holder?

Thanks for any help

Ian

Amedeus
27-Feb-2014, 08:36
Yes, either expired polaroid on the auction site or the Impossible Project product.

Is there still any film in this size left anywhere?

RichSBV
27-Feb-2014, 22:14
In spite of popular belief, Polaroid only made one 8x10 processor. I discussed this with them many years ago. It did come in at least two different colors and both with or without the manual crank (and/or crank hole). But only one single processor! If you have the film holder that works without the tray, use it without the tray. If you have the tray and want to use it for some odd reason, you will need the proper film holder. Be lucky to have the tray as this means you can use either film holder with the processor...

If you need the instructions for the processor and tray, let me know. I'm pretty sure they're on my web site but if not I have them here someplace in PDF format.

Amedeus
28-Feb-2014, 00:44
Thanks Rich for pointing this out ... I have actually both and it never occurred to me to use the 81-05 holder in the 81-12 processor without the tray ... lol ...

Good news, this means, three more usable holders for me as I do prefer the tray though ... takes a little more time but easier for the tab to catch the rollers in my case ... YMMV

In spite of popular belief, Polaroid only made one 8x10 processor. I discussed this with them many years ago. It did come in at least two different colors and both with or without the manual crank (and/or crank hole). But only one single processor! If you have the film holder that works without the tray, use it without the tray. If you have the tray and want to use it for some odd reason, you will need the proper film holder. Be lucky to have the tray as this means you can use either film holder with the processor...

If you need the instructions for the processor and tray, let me know. I'm pretty sure they're on my web site but if not I have them here someplace in PDF format.

ianrout
28-Feb-2014, 04:02

Hey,
Thanks for the reply. A link to the pdf would be great. I was told on another forum site that I can do this, as you said, just have to NOT use tray. I have the processor with the manual pull cord, I'm in Australia on 240v, and the machine is 110v!
Any tips or links on loading/shooting the impossible 8x10 would be much appreciated too :)

Cheers
Ian

Fred L
28-Feb-2014, 06:43
All the info you'll need is in the link. Note however the TIP won't be making any more 8x10 film till later this year, according to them.

https://www.the-impossible-project.com/projects/8x10/

RichSBV
1-Mar-2014, 00:38
Hey,
Thanks for the reply. A link to the pdf would be great. I was told on another forum site that I can do this, as you said, just have to NOT use tray. I have the processor with the manual pull cord, I'm in Australia on 240v, and the machine is 110v!
Any tips or links on loading/shooting the impossible 8x10 would be much appreciated too :)

Cheers
Ian

I had forgotten the pull chord option! They did amazing things in their day and I truly miss the old Polaroid products...

Anyway, the "manual" for the 81-05 is available on my web site.
www.southbristolviews.com
under Graflex Manuals. Well, it started out as all Graflex and things got added. Unfortunately, I never did have the time to maintain it or update it. But it was stated pretty clearly at the outset that the site was just an excuse to obtain yet more photo equipment ;) And for that purpose, it has worked all too well. Maybe some day I'll get smart and sell off most of my collection...

If you have any problems downloading the manual (some windows systems do), let me know. Either I can e-mail it to you or finally find the time to get rid of the script download counter that screws it all up...

RichSBV
1-Mar-2014, 00:44
They got rid of the 81-05 because so many people had difficulties with the loading. As I remember, the 81-06 and tray did work much better but I haven't shot 8x10 Polaroid in years. Gees, I wonder if that old film may still be good? Maybe after all this I'll dig it all out and try a shot? It's also been a long time since I shot any 8x10. Just can't afford it any more... And at the cost of 8x10 Polaroid (TIP or old Polaroid), I most probably will never shoot the stuff again unless mine is still good...

Thanks Rich for pointing this out ... I have actually both and it never occurred to me to use the 81-05 holder in the 81-12 processor without the tray ... lol ...

Good news, this means, three more usable holders for me as I do prefer the tray though ... takes a little more time but easier for the tab to catch the rollers in my case ... YMMV

Amedeus
1-Mar-2014, 03:08
The only expired Polaroid that ended up a dud for me came in containers with 10 exposures ... made in 1982 or so ... that was a total loss. I've been shooting expired Polaroid from the early 90's with good to very good results.

They got rid of the 81-05 because so many people had difficulties with the loading. As I remember, the 81-06 and tray did work much better but I haven't shot 8x10 Polaroid in years. Gees, I wonder if that old film may still be good? Maybe after all this I'll dig it all out and try a shot? It's also been a long time since I shot any 8x10. Just can't afford it any more... And at the cost of 8x10 Polaroid (TIP or old Polaroid), I most probably will never shoot the stuff again unless mine is still good...