PDA

View Full Version : Dallmeyer 14 f5.6 image circle

windrider
26-Feb-2014, 22:56
Im looking to find some information on the Dallmeyer 14 f5.6 UU421866 but am coming up a little sort on info. Does anyone know what the image circle size is at 1:1? Im also thinking of purchasing a 355mm g-claron, how does the dallmeyer compare to the g-claron in regards to sharpness and coverage? Im a little curious if the dallmeyer will be able to cover 14x17 and 12x20 if I feel like getting into ulf in the future.

Roger Hesketh
27-Feb-2014, 01:12
The lens does not have particularly wide coverage. It was built under a War department contract to a T.T & H. Cooke Aviar design. Off the top of my head I can not remember an Aviar's angle of coverage but it is between 45 to 55 degrees. So it will not cover U.L.F. Possibly it might be of some use on 10x12, but I doubt it. OK for use on 8x10 though.

Pete Watkins
27-Feb-2014, 01:43
From personal experience, I own both lenses, the 355 G-Claron is far sharper than the 14".
Pete.

Dan Fromm
27-Feb-2014, 05:08
Roger, WD bought two different 14"/5.6 lenses. I once had a Dallmeyer one in my hands (s/n UU...), unscrewed the cells from the barrel and counted reflections. It was a tessar type. I've owned one from TTH (s/n TT...) that was an aviar type. Neither had huge coverage.

Roger Hesketh
27-Feb-2014, 05:25
Yes Dan you are right and I had forgotten until you reminded me. I have a T.T & H built one here that would make a good door stop. That is an Aviar type.I would sell it and get shut of it, but the aperture is stuck. On reflection seeing as Dallmeyer made the OP's lens it is quite likely to be a Tessar/Serrac type. If it is a Tessar type it probably has slightly more coverage seeing as a 14" Commercial Ektar another Tessar type lens, if I recall correctly, comes close to covering 11x14.

Andrew Plume
27-Feb-2014, 06:27
the Dallmeyer lens isn't that sharp, nowhere near the G-Claron at all but should be a decent performer for, say, portrait work

regards

andrew

and yes, you're dead right there's little info on the net regarding it, it was known as 'a Pentac'

a

Dan Fromm
27-Feb-2014, 07:06
and yes, you're dead right there's little info on the net regarding it, it was known as 'a Pentac'

a

Nope, the Pentac is a heliar type, not a tessar type. The WD lens has no name, might correspond to the tessar type Dallmeyer sold as Serrac.

windrider
1-Mar-2014, 19:53
Thanks for the info, g-claron it is then.