PDA

View Full Version : block printing from large format negs/prints

ShannonG
26-Feb-2014, 16:45
Been playing with block printing,Shot this on 4x5 then printed on 11x14 FB,then shot the print on digital then had a laser shop make some blocks ,now im block printing with ink on water color paper.Im now waiting on 4 more blocks that will be 5X7 size. Kinda fun,maybe ill mount and mat these to be displayed next to the FB prints.

111231 111232 111233 111234

ShannonG
26-Feb-2014, 16:46
one more

Darin Boville
26-Feb-2014, 16:54
Can you tell me more about the laser shop part of it? I've been toying with doing photogravure but thinking it would be nice to outsource the etching part to a computer/laser and just do the printing part.

--Darin

Tin Can
26-Feb-2014, 17:07
Nice!

looks like fun!

ShannonG
26-Feb-2014, 18:05
Thanks yup its fun to do and im just learning to get the ink the right consistency and how to apply it and what pressure is needed for a good print. It took a couple of plates (changing the contrast and depth of the groves) and done on plastic, and wood but this rubber works best so one can adjust the shadows and highlights by how hard you push on the paper.Started as an experiment but its funner and has more possibility than i thought.
Nice!

looks like fun!

ShannonG
26-Feb-2014, 18:24
The shop is a few doors down from my studio,he does commercial concrete work in the summer so with his time in the winter he plays with his laser. Its a big machine flat bed type. He usually lasers granite and wood and tile for in-terrier and exterior home decors and monuments like gave stones.I suggest finding a monument shop in your area that does laser cutting as with prints with alot of detail there's a lot of trial and error to get the block right for a nice print.So you have to work closely with the laser guy.It took us 6 blocks(different materials and depths) to get 1 good block that prints out decently,what looks good on the block doesn't always work when printed.Its a fun project and just something different to do with photos
Can you tell me more about the laser shop part of it? I've been toying with doing photographer but thinking it would be nice to outsource the etching part to a computer/laser and just do the printing part.

--Darin

jp
26-Feb-2014, 19:35
I did linoleum block printing this evening. I used parchment paper to trace some stuff onto the block and carved it out with speedball block printing tools. I'm thinking it might be nice to carve some arts & crafts style borders at some point, because I'm such a pictorialism fan. I could also trace small prints and adapt to a lower level of detail. Getting the ink quantity right is indeed a big deal.

ShannonG
26-Feb-2014, 19:41
I did linoleum block printing this evening. I used parchment paper to trace some stuff onto the block and carved it out with speedball block printing tools. I'm thinking it might be nice to carve some arts & crafts style borders at some point, because I'm such a pictorialism fan. I could also trace small prints and adapt to a lower level of detail. Getting the ink quantity right is indeed a big deal. cool,yup i was thinking of trying to carve some blocks with the speedball tools. I would like to see some photos of your carvings.I cant draw/carve well but it would be fun to try.