PDA

View Full Version : Fall in New Mexico

DavidFisk
26-Feb-2014, 13:29
Looking to go to Northern NM sometime this fall. Not thinking of grand vistas, but rather more intimate landscapes. When would be the best time for the aspens, and where might the best locations be for the shoot?

Thanks all.

Kirk Gittings
26-Feb-2014, 16:08
David, I haven't heard back from my friend in SF who would really know. Seasons are not as consistent here as they were even a decade ago much less than when I was a kid and we are having a very dry winter with very early budding of trees. I will let you know what he thinks when I hear from him.

Heroique
26-Feb-2014, 16:36
If by "Northern NM" you mean NW New Mexico, that would, of course, include the 4-corner, high-desert portions of Colorado, Utah, and Arizona.

Lots of aspens in the higher altitudes, and in any one autumn, I've always seen them dressed in their most glorious yellow early, middle and late in the season. I love them half green, half yellow, so my preference is to go earlier than later.

As you seek-out aspens, you won't miss the golden cottonwoods, so no need to remind you about them. I like cottonwood trunks, their shapeliness, even better than the bark of aspens. Very bewitching is the shivering "talk" of both trees in the autumn breeze, a treat for the ears, not just the eyes.

-----
I'm sure a lot of us are curious if you're planning overnight canyon hiking, or day hikes in places more accessible by car.

Nathan Potter
26-Feb-2014, 22:33
Many locations and the fall color for aspens is quite altitude sensitive. Varies from year to year. In my experience around the Taos area and southern CO. I'd range from Oct. 5 to Nov. 1.
Oct. 5 maybe above 10,000 ft. and Nov. 1 maybe 6000 to 7000 ft. But it's always a bit of a crapshoot.

I really like Great Dunes Nat. Park in southern CO. and up along the Rio Grande river to Creede CO. The route from Chama NM. to Antonito CO. can be outstanding. Image from about 9000 ft. on 10/17/02 on the way to Cumbres Pass from Chama NM. below, for example.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3779/12807593543_ecd3b1dfc2_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/argiolus/12807593543/)
45NC02-47[f1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/argiolus/12807593543/) by hypolimnas (http://www.flickr.com/people/argiolus/), on Flickr

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Alan Curtis
27-Feb-2014, 06:44
Just northeast of Santa Fe in the Sangre de Christo mountains are several very nice Aspen groves. The aspens will be there in the fall but, as Kirk said it is unpredictable about the color.

Peter York
27-Feb-2014, 08:13
The aspens in Colorado turn in a North-South progression. Typically the San Juans are best in the first week of October. My guess for Northern NM would be 1-2 weeks later. However, as already mentioned, precipitation and the onset of the first snows has a big impact as well. I would pick some locations varying in altitude, and then carefully watch the predictions. Even if it is a bad year, or some early snow has already brought them down, there is plenty to see in northern NM.

Kirk Gittings
27-Feb-2014, 08:18
the best bet for the Sangre de Cristo mountains is first week of October. Any time September 15--October 15 is good, but the peak is usually--not always--that first October week.

From my friend and very talented photographer Don Usner who lives in Chimayo.

DavidFisk
27-Feb-2014, 12:32
From my friend and very talented photographer Don Usner who lives in Chimayo.

Thank you, Kirk. BTW, my family on my mother's side is just down the road from Chimayo, in Cundiyo. REALLY small world.

DavidFisk
27-Feb-2014, 12:36
Ah, yes. I can relate to this. As John Sexton says, "Listen to the trees."

If by "Northern NM" you mean NW New Mexico, that would, of course, include the 4-corner, high-desert portions of Colorado, Utah, and Arizona.

Lots of aspens in the higher altitudes, and in any one autumn, I've always seen them dressed in their most glorious yellow early, middle and late in the season. I love them half green, half yellow, so my preference is to go earlier than later.

As you seek-out aspens, you won't miss the golden cottonwoods, so no need to remind you about them. I like cottonwood trunks, their shapeliness, even better than the bark of aspens. Very bewitching is the shivering "talk" of both trees in the autumn breeze, a treat for the ears, not just the eyes.

-----
I'm sure a lot of us are curious if you're planning overnight canyon hiking, or day hikes in places more accessible by car.

David Lobato
27-Feb-2014, 19:52
Many locations and the fall color for aspens is quite altitude sensitive. Varies from year to year. In my experience around the Taos area and southern CO. I'd range from Oct. 5 to Nov. 1.
Oct. 5 maybe above 10,000 ft. and Nov. 1 maybe 6000 to 7000 ft. But it's always a bit of a crapshoot.

I really like Great Dunes Nat. Park in southern CO. and up along the Rio Grande river to Creede CO. The route from Chama NM. to Antonito CO. can be outstanding. Image from about 9000 ft. on 10/17/02 on the way to Cumbres Pass from Chama NM. below, for example.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Along that road there is a water stop for the train, and a trestle with my family name. Named after a great uncle if I remember correctly. My relatives up to two generations ago lived in Northern NM, and many still do.