PDA

View Full Version : Wetplate Dedicated or Use Existing 4x5

dodphotography
23-Feb-2014, 21:02
I'm an 8x10 WP shooter but due to budget issues I only have a B&J rig. It's a great camera but mobility is an issue as it's not a true field camera.

I'm thinking of downgrading to 4x5 for field work but am concerned about putting collodion through a clean wista.

Would you? Or would you try and find a beater 4x5 field and not worry about collodion and silver nitrate damaging wood.

Thanks everyone

Kirk Gittings
23-Feb-2014, 21:11
Hmm I've done a little wet plate and never got any of the chemistry anywhere near the camera itself-inside of the film holder yes.

dodphotography
23-Feb-2014, 21:12
Unfortunately I'm a slob... My GG on the 8x10 is a mess. I need to clean it!

GSX4
23-Feb-2014, 21:50
if you are clean, you should get minimal silver stains. It all depends on how well you clean the plate holder and make sure your gloved hands are clean before touching the camera. Over time though, some stains are inevitable unless you make a dedicated back and plate holder, as the sacrificial wood.

I use both a 4x5 chamonix and 8x10 chamonix. I made a hinging ground glass gate and a slide in plate holder for the 4x5 and it has taken all the stains with no issues on the main body parts. When I want to shoot film, I just remove the wet plate attachment and I am good to go. With the chamonix 8x10, it has a few small black silver stain spots on the glass that is it. I use chamonix and jodyake plate holders and make sure they are clean prior to inserting into the camera. Eventually, you will get some stains.... Badges of honor so to speak.

goamules
24-Feb-2014, 05:50
I'd use your existing camera. I use all mine for wetplate, and no stains. If you get stains you don't like one day, you could buy another clean back to put on the camera.

Drew Bedo
24-Feb-2014, 06:26
Getting a 4x5 might not be what you really want to do. 4x5 contact prints are . . .small. I assume that your current B&J is a monorail?

Maybe a workable atrategy would be to replace monorail camera with an 8x10 field camera; something that packs-up more compactly. The Kodak 2D cameras and B&J wooden folders can be found at reasonable prices. This way, you would still have those large-enough-to-look-at contact prints

If you win the lottery, the folks at Star might be the way to go. http://starcameracompany.com/cameras.html

dodphotography
24-Feb-2014, 06:31
Drew, it isn't a monorail but also isn't a true field. It folds up but doesn't fold flat. Therefore it's 100% impossible to toss in a bag.

It's a great camera and does exactly what I want but it's just not portable when hiking away from the car.

Drew Bedo
24-Feb-2014, 06:50
Understood: Not a monorail.

I can only speak from my own experience. I have had a B&J wooden bed type camera (5x7) and currently have a 8x10 "2D". Both models collapse tight to the rear standard and the bed folds up to protect either the mounted lens or the GG.I really miss not being able to keep the lens mounted. While neither model will fold as compactly as my Zone VI, I have put both into backpacks for day hiking.

The 2D is as pretty (in its own way) as a Zone VI but front movement is limited to rise/fall.. The B&J cameras are painted grey and look a little clunky ("big-boned"), but are strong and have any movement you could want. I wouldn't worry about staining one.

dodphotography
24-Feb-2014, 06:56
Understood: Not a monorail.

I can only speak from my own experience. I have had a B&J wooden bed type camera (5x7) and currently have a 8x10 "2D". Both models collapse tight to the rear standard and the bed folds up to protect either the mounted lens or the GG.I really miss not being able to keep the lens mounted. While neither model will fold as compactly as my Zone VI, I have put both into backpacks for day hiking.

The 2D is as pretty (in its own way) as a Zone VI but has limited front movement is limited to rise/fall.. The B&J cameras are painted grey and look a little clunky ("big-boned"), but are strong and have any movement you could want. I wouldn't worry about staining one.

I'll have to see if I am doing something wrong, I can't get it that tight... Perhaps I'll just go ahead and use the Wista for wet plate for the smaller format.

Drew Bedo
24-Feb-2014, 07:39
You probably ARE doing it right. Those cameras DO NOT fold into a book-like package. They ARE mnore bulky than a modern folding field camera. I suggested that rout because thay are an affordable way to get an 8x10 camera that you might not mind getting slightly stained.

My Zone VI is the smaller model made for Zone VI Studios by Wista in the 1980s. It is pettily built with only 12 inches of extension, and folds up into a tight self-contained package. This is important to me now as it is also pretty light weight . . .and I need a new hip. If a light weight and compact package is important to you too, then use the little Wista.

I am hoping that the Wanderlust TravelWide project moves forward into full production. wWile giving up all movements, they will be compact and ultra-light weight. With the lens removed, I think one would go into a dish washer! Stain-Free Forever!

dodphotography
24-Feb-2014, 09:16
You probably ARE doing it right. Those cameras DO NOT fold into a book-like package. They ARE mnore bulky than a modern folding field camera. I suggested that rout because thay are an affordable way to get an 8x10 camera that you might not mind getting slightly stained.

My Zone VI is the smaller model made for Zone VI Studios by Wista in the 1980s. It is pettily built with only 12 inches of extension, and folds up into a tight self-contained package. This is important to me now as it is also pretty light weight . . .and I need a new hip. If a light weight and compact package is important to you too, then use the little Wista.

I am hoping that the Wanderlust TravelWide project moves forward into full production. wWile giving up all movements, they will be compact and ultra-light weight. With the lens removed, I think one would go into a dish washer! Stain-Free Forever!

I'd love a compact 8x10, but I don't have 4 grand lying around.

Perhaps if I sold everything camera I owned I could, but I enjoy the little bastards too much.

goamules
24-Feb-2014, 10:29
The antique 8x10s are lighter and better made than the new ones. If lightness is your main criteria, and I'm hearing you say you'd prefer to stay with that format, look at the old Seneca Improved, Centuries, etc. They fit in a large bookbag. I could buy 8 or more of them for 4 Grand. They're not expensive.

jp
24-Feb-2014, 11:00
A KMV or Deardorff are fairly compact will be far less than 4 G$

I use a B&J 8x10 too, so I understand where you're coming from.

Dave Wooten
24-Feb-2014, 12:55
An Ebony due to the dark color of the wood might not show the staining as much.:)
Also, they make some nice folders.

Taija71A
24-Feb-2014, 13:17
... If you win the lottery... The folks at Star might be the way to go: http://starcameracompany.com/cameras.html

____

... or there is additionally (perhaps?)... 'Modern day' craftsmen such as:

http://www.blackartwoodcraft.com/wet-plate-cameras/ ~~ Stephen Silipigni ~~

... and

http://www.guillorycameras.com/ ~~ Ty Guillory ~~
*(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnT6FJto5ks)

_________

dodphotography
24-Feb-2014, 13:18
Friends with those guys on FB, they make unreal work.