PDA

View Full Version : Xenotar 135/3.5 on a Chamonix Saber?

richardman
21-Feb-2014, 00:43
I currently have a Saber with 120 APO Symmar. Now I have the option of commissioning a Chamonix Saber with my Xenotar 135/3.5. I am worried that the rangefinder baselength on the Saber is insufficient to focus the Xenotar at F3.5. What are your feelings?

The Polaroid conversion can handle the lens but the camera is too big and heavy for me. I think I'd just use the Chamonix F1 in that case.

lbenac
21-Feb-2014, 08:05
The aluminum front part on the Saber is machined to provide the flange distance. i.e. on my Saber it is about 140.2 which allows me to use either a 150mm Symmar or a Sironar-N or a Xenar but not a G-Claron (140.9).
I think that 150mm is the longest it accommodates so that you still have a reasonable minimum focusing distance.
The issue on the other might be the weight and size of the lens/shutter...

lbenac
21-Feb-2014, 08:07
The aluminum front part on the Saber is machined to provide the flange distance. i.e. on my Saber it is about 140.2 which allows me to use either a 150mm Symmar or a Sironar-N or a Xenar but not a G-Claron (140.9).
I think that 150mm is the longest it accommodates so that you still have a reasonable minimum focusing distance.
The issue on the other might be the weight and size of the lens/shutter...
The other aspect is that if you send a lens to China for mounting, you will pay duties and VAT something like 25% that Hugo said they cannot get Customs to wave.

richardman
21-Feb-2014, 13:57
US generally do not have Custom issues... generally.

lbenac
21-Feb-2014, 14:21
This is not so much the US Customs as the PRC Customs that will consider you sending the lens as a straight import of the lens into China regardless if the lens will be value-added and sent back to USA.

richardman
21-Feb-2014, 16:54
Well, I am most concerned about the focusing accuracy... I have shot may be only about 30 sheets on the Saber so I can't say much about the focusing accuracy wide open really even on the F5.6.

richardman
21-Feb-2014, 16:57
This is not LF, but a Leica M9, but my goal of using a Saber with faster lens is to do more of this sort of photos, obviously not all as some are definitely grab shots:
http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/HK-2014/

EdSawyer
21-Feb-2014, 21:47
Hi Richard,
I think it will be challenging to nail focus at f3.5. I can do it with my xenotar on a pacemaker crown with kalart, but that is an easier camera to focus and with a larger baselength. Also, will the saber fully collapse with the 135/3.5? The rear element is fairly substantial, though not as huge as the 150/2.8. See if you can nail fairly closeup focus with the 120/5.6 , and if so, that should give you some idea if it is doable with the xenotar. Keep us posted.
Ed

richardman
22-Feb-2014, 04:01
Ed, good suggestion. I will do some tests....