PDA

View Full Version : Can you change from copal to electronic shutter yourself?

philipkarlberg
19-Feb-2014, 01:24
Hi,

I am new here, so this is my first post. I have been a professional still life photographer for many years, and I have been using my Rollei X-act2 camera with rollei electronic shutters and lens control along with Hasselblad backs for 10 years now. I mostly have Schneider lenses but also a few Rodenstocks.

Now to my question. I am looking for a macro lens, and I am currently thinking about buying a Schneider 80mm/5.6 M. The problem is that Rollei does not exist anymore (at least so I have heard), and I don't know how to find anyone who could help me to put on a rollei electronic shutter, so I could use it with my rollei lens control device.

However, I do have a few rollei electronic shutters size #0 mounted on my old tele lenses that I used on my 4x5" camera before I went digital. So my question is, is it possible to buy a 80mm with copal shutter and change the shutter to a rollei electronic shutter yourself?

Another question I have is, what makes a size #0 a size #0? Is it the thickness of the whole shutter (the distance between the rear and front lens), or is it something else? I have noted that the diameter of the lens-fittings can vary, despite the size #0.

Best
Philip

Stockholm, Sweden

philipkarlberg
19-Feb-2014, 02:50
I think I found the answer myself. The rollei electronic shutters, seems to be programmed for a specific lens. So no, I can not do this myself.

Bob Salomon
19-Feb-2014, 05:52
The Rollei shutter is still available and you can remount a longer lens yourself. Short focal lengths have to be remounted on an optical bench. We market the Rollei shutter through both Rodenstock and Linhof.

Oren Grad
19-Feb-2014, 18:04
The problem is that Rollei does not exist anymore (at least so I have heard)...

http://www.dhw-fototechnik.de/en/bellows-camera/electronicshutter.html

Matted
30-Oct-2018, 08:33
The Rollei shutter is still available and you can remount a longer lens yourself. Short focal lengths have to be remounted on an optical bench. We market the Rollei shutter through both Rodenstock and Linhof.

Sorry for digging up such an old thread... Bob, if you see this can you elaborate on what you would call short vs long? I am considering acquiring a used electronic shutter to use for a Schneider 120mm Macro lens for Studio use so I don’t have to touch the front standard.

Is this something I can do myself? I am assuming I’ll have to work out my own aperture “scales” with the Rollei.

Bob Salomon
30-Oct-2018, 08:43
Sorry for digging up such an old thread... Bob, if you see this can you elaborate on what you would call short vs long? I am considering acquiring a used electronic shutter to use for a Schneider 120mm Macro lens for Studio use so I don’t have to touch the front standard.

Is this something I can do myself? I am assuming I’ll have to work out my own aperture “scales” with the Rollei.

The shorter the focal length the more critical. So for wide angles an optical bench is critical. For a 120 not so critical, unless you are concerned with optimal performance.

As for aperture, that is done by the controller, there are no aperture or shutter speed settings on a Rollei or the eShutter.

But you should bear in mind, there are no parts or backup for the Rollei since the company was liquidated. Service, is Danielle in NJ. Parts and accessories may be gone.

Matted
30-Oct-2018, 09:38
Thanks Bob! Yes, I understand the risk I would be taking regarding repairs.

Understood regarding the aperture control. What I meant was that if the shutter was preprogrammed for a focal length other than 120 then the apertures would be off, wouldn’t they? I would need to determine the offset somehow, unless this is something that can be programmed into the controller. “Scales” :)

Bob Salomon
30-Oct-2018, 09:51
Thanks Bob! Yes, I understand the risk I would be taking regarding repairs.

Understood regarding the aperture control. What I meant was that if the shutter was preprogrammed for a focal length other than 120 then the apertures would be off, wouldn’t they? I would need to determine the offset somehow, unless this is something that can be programmed into the controller. “Scales” :)

No, that is set by the user in the controller, regardless of the focal length or speed or size of the lens the controller is what sets it. No matter how many lenses or shutters only one controller is needed.

Matted
30-Oct-2018, 09:59
No, that is set by the user in the controller, regardless of the focal length or speed or size of the lens the controller is what sets it. No matter how many lenses or shutters only one controller is needed.

Ok great, thanks. I thought the shutters might be “chipped” or similar so the controller would know some things about the lens. Good to know this can be done. Thanks again.