PDA

View Full Version : lens dilemma

Bigdaddyg
18-Feb-2014, 18:12
I have a camulet 4x5 and a 5.6/150mm Scheinder symmar-2 lens. The issue I have is it fits in a lens board that the hole is only 29mm in diameter. It is my understanding the Copal 0 is 35mm yet my lens board is only 29mm. The threaded area that fits in the hole is only 27mm I want to use this lens in a Sinar but I can not find a lens board with a hole at that size. Anyone know of alternatives and why this lens has such a small diameter?

Greg

Luis-F-S
18-Feb-2014, 19:30
Send it to SK Grimes and have him mount it. $35 will save you a lot of headaches.

Leigh
18-Feb-2014, 19:32
You're using the wrong hole.

There is nothing on that shutter that will fit in a 29mm hole.
The threads for the front and rear cells are 29.5mm.

The Copal 0 mounting hole is 34.8mm diameter.

The retaining ring has a shoulder of 34.6mm diameter that fits into that hole.
If your retaining ring does not have the shoulder, it's the wrong ring.

This leaves the threads untouched, fully clear of the hole walls.

- Leigh

David Lobato
18-Feb-2014, 19:38
Sounds like you're missing the retainer ring, sometimes called a jam nut. The lens fits into the 35mm hole and the retainer ring screws on behind the lens board to hold it secure. A spanner wrench is needed to properly tighten the ring. Then the rear elements are screwed on and it's done. SK Grimes can help with this.

Bigdaddyg
18-Feb-2014, 20:11
No the problem is that the lens is a copal #00. I did some research and that is my issue. I will get one made by Skgrimes

Leigh
18-Feb-2014, 20:18
Your original post said Copal 0, not 00.

We're not mind readers.

- Leigh

Dan Fromm
18-Feb-2014, 20:30
No the problem is that the lens is a copal #00. I did some research and that is my issue. I will get one made by SkgrimesWhy do you think the shutter (that's the word! Copal didn't make lenses) is a Copal #00? Copal never made that size and a 150/5.6 Symmar won't fit a #00.

Brassai
18-Feb-2014, 20:44
Guys, we're being a bit tough on a newbie here. I often find a local machine shop that can easily ream the hole to a bigger size to fit the oddball lenses I find. Measure the diameter of the shutter where it mounts, then find a lens board on ebay or somewhere that's big enough to allow your lens to fit but small enough the retaining ring will catch and hold the backside of the lensboard. If your lens/shutter falls between a Copal 0 and Copal 1 board, buy the smaller size and take it to a machine shot to ream it out. Make sure you smooth down any rough edges before sticking the lens in. The SK Grimes idea isn't bad, but will tie your lens up for a couple of weeks.

DrTang
20-Feb-2014, 12:05
does no one but me watch TV and file out holes in lensboards?

Jim Noel
20-Feb-2014, 12:55

I'mm with you. I have never paid anyone to make holes in lens boards, or enlarge them. I also make wooden lens boards when I don't have one which fits the particular camers.
Whatever happened to good old American ingenuity?
Jim

Daniel Stone
20-Feb-2014, 13:18
I'mm with you. I have never paid anyone to make holes in lens boards, or enlarge them. I also make wooden lens boards when I don't have one which fits the particular camers.
Whatever happened to good old American ingenuity?
Jim

At least for people of a certain age bracket(26-30, and under) I can attest that it mostly went out with the bathwater when "shop" classes got tossed out the window a few years ago, with reckless abandon in favor of attempting to prepare more teens for college. "We can just buy what we need, no need to make it yourself". Rubbish... I'm glad I got 4yrs of woodshop out of high school! The school district removed the program from the schedule the year after I graduated(2006). Real shame IMO. Real shame.

Making it myself(and doing a good job, not just slapping something together) gives me a real sense of satisfaction. However, I'm not afraid to send out if a project is too much for me to tackle. Then I pay professionals(like SKGrimes) to do the job, since they have the tools and the know-how. If I had the time, space(to put those tools), and know-how(even if I learned as I went along), I'd do it myself. No questions. Most other 20-somethings I know have barely used a crosscut saw or a pair of pruning shears... I just had to show a friend last week how to properly ratio gas/oil mixture(and he did better in math than I did in h.s.!)...

-Dan

Ari
20-Feb-2014, 13:19

Right there with you!
If I'm not watching TV, then I'm thinking about products I'd like to buy while I file away for hours on end. :)

BrianShaw
20-Feb-2014, 13:21
... "shop" classes ...

Ahem... Vocational Arts, my young man.

Sometimes it isn't for lack of desire or know-how, but simply for lack of time that folks will pay someone else to do things.

Bob Salomon
20-Feb-2014, 13:50
No the problem is that the lens is a copal #00. I did some research and that is my issue. I will get one made by Skgrimes

The lens is a 150mm. The shutter is a 00.

Leigh
20-Feb-2014, 15:33
I don't own a TV.

I do lensboard holes using a trepanning tool on a Bridgeport mill.

- Leigh

fecaleagle
20-Feb-2014, 16:58
In that board, with a round hand file, you should be done in twenty minutes. Doesn't have to be perfect, just make sure the threads barely fit through and it's reasonably round...

winterclock
21-Feb-2014, 18:34
Eblay# 111284972687 pilot hole sinar board, you can open this one out to fit your shutter.

DrTang
21-Feb-2014, 18:38
I don't own a TV.

I do lensboard holes using a trepanning tool on a Bridgeport mill.

- Leigh

I have a TV, but no garage

David Lobato
22-Feb-2014, 19:29

It's most likely a N0.0 Copal shutter, Number 0 that is. Jim Galli is selling a shutter that says exactly that. It would be easy to mistake it it as zero-zero, not as Number-zero. 30 days after you have signed up you will be able to see this ad.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?111275-4-Shutters-4-Prices-Some-with-usable-glass!-90mm-Ex-WA!-83mm-Velo-II

Leigh
22-Feb-2014, 19:59
Copal 0 and Copal 00 are two different shutters. The 00 is smaller than the 0.

See Bob Salomon's post #14 above.

- Leigh