PDA

View Full Version : Using Fujinon SW 90mm f8 with Wista 45N to recess or not recess?

dimento
18-Feb-2014, 03:53
Hi guys, been googling this but was wondering if anyone can offer personal experience/tips

Bought this lens: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271377157689?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and am trying to figure out whether to get a recessed or non-recessed lensboard, my questions are

1. Is this lens copal 0, it appears so to me
2. Will it fit on one of the generic recessed boards, like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Off-Center-Copal-0-20mm-Recessed-Lens-Board-For-Linhof-Technika-Wista-Shen-Hao-/281089137561?pt=US_Lens_Boards&hash=item417237db99 (from the point of view of accessing shutter/aperture and not banging up against focus rails, and general usability.
3. How restrictive would it be to use a non-recessed board (1/3 the price) if I mostly want to shoot with some movements (landscape + maybe urban landscape)

thanks in advance,

D

Ron-D
18-Feb-2014, 06:34
hi dimento
As usual, one question leads to another: do you plan on using movements? If the answer is no, I'd suggest you don't need a recessed board as you'll be able to squish the bellows down enough to be able to focus at infinity. Accessing the shutter controls when using a recessed board is a pain, so if you can, try to avoid using one. The other catch when using a recessed board is that with a field camera, the bed of the camera has a better chance of getting in the shot in portrait mode.

Bottom line is try the lens on a flat board, and switch to a recessed board only if necessary...

Ron

dimento
18-Feb-2014, 07:23
hi dimento
As usual, one question leads to another: do you plan on using movements? If the answer is no, I'd suggest you don't need a recessed board as you'll be able to squish the bellows down enough to be able to focus at infinity. Accessing the shutter controls when using a recessed board is a pain, so if you can, try to avoid using one. The other catch when using a recessed board is that with a field camera, the bed of the camera has a better chance of getting in the shot in portrait mode.

Bottom line is try the lens on a flat board, and switch to a recessed board only if necessary...

Ron

Thanks Ron, I guess I could see much using some movements and would like to have the option. As far as I've tried the Wista has drop bed, or an approximation thereof, so I might be ok, but it makes sense to try the cheaper board to start with, thanks for the input, D

Ari
18-Feb-2014, 07:51
Damian,
It's not a Copal shutter, it's a Seiko shutter, quite common on Fuji lenses.
They are excellent shutters, very well-built, but they have their quirks.
You must cock the shutter before flicking the preview button open; sometimes the shutter cocking lever is stiff.

As for a recessed board, I used a 90mm on a Wista RF and SP on a flat board; the Wistas have a short rail, so there's little chance of getting it in the shot.
But you must still be careful about it.
But I'd echo what Ron says: get a flat board first.

You may be restricted in movements, though; if you plan on using the 90mm frequently, it may be best to get bag bellows for your Wista.
Still, you should be able to get some decent rise with standard bellows if you shoot closer to the subject.

dimento
18-Feb-2014, 08:21
Damian,
It's not a Copal shutter, it's a Seiko shutter, quite common on Fuji lenses.
They are excellent shutters, very well-built, but they have their quirks.
You must cock the shutter before flicking the preview button open; sometimes the shutter cocking lever is stiff.

As for a recessed board, I used a 90mm on a Wista RF and SP on a flat board; the Wistas have a short rail, so there's little chance of getting it in the shot.
But you must still be careful about it.
But I'd echo what Ron says: get a flat board first.

You may be restricted in movements, though; if you plan on using the 90mm frequently, it may be best to get bag bellows for your Wista.
Still, you should be able to get some decent rise with standard bellows if you shoot closer to the subject.

Thanks Ari, google plays poor second fiddle to getting info from someone who is/has done what one plans to do, appreciate your input, I went ahead and bought the flat board, having just looked at my Wista it seems that the bellows are easily removable. Cheers, D

B.S.Kumar
18-Feb-2014, 09:06
There are two kinds of wide angle bellows. One uses regular lensboards, the other uses special lensboards, which make it easy to use WA lenses.

Kumar

dimento
18-Feb-2014, 11:53
There are two kinds of wide angle bellows. One uses regular lensboards, the other uses special lensboards, which make it easy to use WA lenses.

Kumar
good to know, thanks. Can't see myself investing in a bag bellows tbh, I'll see how I go with a flat board then maybe get a recessed if needs be, they ain't too expensive, cheers. D

Kirk Fry
18-Feb-2014, 21:09
In my experience, life was miserable with wide angle lens until I bought a bag bellow for my ARCA. Hint. You can use the bag bellow on longer lenses.

Leigh
19-Feb-2014, 00:23
The Flange Focal Length on that lens is 99.2mm, which is pretty long.

You should be able to use a flat lensboard.

If it won't focus at infinity, you can get a recessed board and use the flat one for another lens.

- Leigh

spotmaticfanatic
28-Feb-2014, 08:43
I've got a Fuji SWD 90mm on a Shen Hao. You don't need a recessed lensboard for this lens, unless you feel the need to spend extra money on a lensboard. I have the full range of movements, with no difficulty due to the bellows being compressed.

dimento
1-Mar-2014, 06:11
thanks for all the replies, bought the flat board, find the bellows compression a bit limiting, so will prob get the recessed eventually, cheers, D