PDA

View Full Version : George Tice's cable release?

Bill_1856
17-Feb-2014, 19:33
In the new film about George, his cable release looks like it is two pieces connected by some sort of little cylinder.
I've never seen anything like it -- can anyone illuminate it for me?

karl french
17-Feb-2014, 20:20
Search for air cable release on Ebay and you'll find tons of them. I wondered the same thing. It's just something that transfers the force of air from the bulb to a regular cable release socket.

Bill_1856
17-Feb-2014, 22:23
Search for air cable release on Ebay and you'll find tons of them. I wondered the same thing. It's just something that transfers the force of air from the bulb to a regular cable release socket.

I sort of figured that's what it is, but couldn't find anything like it on the B&H website. All of their air bulbs seem to be for 20' or so.

frotog
18-Feb-2014, 07:03
Haven't seen the movie but you are describing something like the famous DeGroff air release. There's a guy in Southbend, Ind. who bought the tooling and still makes these things. I have one with 30' of surgical tubing for extra tall set ups - much more reliable than the hama, etc.

Jac@stafford.net
18-Feb-2014, 09:18
I sort of figured that's what it is, but couldn't find anything like it on the B&H website.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/242136-REG/Degroff_Products_DG1400_Air_Way_Shutter_Release.html

No Longer Available :(

Tony Lakin
18-Feb-2014, 09:32
I sort of figured that's what it is, but couldn't find anything like it on the B&H website. All of their air bulbs seem to be for 20' or so.

I have been using air releases for many years, most of them come with a reel of tubing, there is usually a connecting nipple approx. 2-3 feet from one end which allows you to shorten, I have about 5 reels of tubing left over after shortening all of them, easy to come by on Ebay.

frotog
22-Feb-2014, 14:02
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/242136-REG/Degroff_Products_DG1400_Air_Way_Shutter_Release.html

No Longer Available :(

No longer available from B and H but they are available direct from the manufacturer.

Jim Andrada
23-Feb-2014, 11:55
Or you could get a pneumatic shutter!!!

Jim Andrada
23-Feb-2014, 12:41
By the way, do you have contact info for the guy wh still makes them?

Thanks

frotog
24-Feb-2014, 07:24
It's been a while since I've contacted him but here you go….

Dave Cook - deGroff Products
709 East Oakside Street
South Bend, Indiana 46614

DeGroffproducts@aol.com

frotog
24-Feb-2014, 07:26
…found a phone number for you - (574) 287-1673

brucefilm
27-Mar-2014, 15:04
In the new film about George, his cable release looks like it is two pieces connected by some sort of little cylinder.
I've never seen anything like it -- can anyone illuminate it for me?

Hello LF forum
My name is Bruce Wodder, i shot and directed the George Tice film Seeing Beyond the Moment
If any of you are interested in a DVD we have a website set up www.georgeticefilm.com

it took 3 years (not everyday ) to do this film on George, and it was amazing to watch him work.

thanks
Bruce

munz6869
27-Mar-2014, 17:41
That's great, and I've ordered one!

Marc!