PDA

View Full Version : Analogbook - The photographer's notebook

papercrate
17-Feb-2014, 10:16
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/644/546/8561e0a6f3fff1a56c922029ce5497e2_large.gif?1392650264

So I've been working on this project for the past several months (since October or so... even though the idea originated two years ago while shooting in a remote location)

ANALOGBOOK is a set of photographer's notebooks / exposure record keepers / logbooks which I hope can be as useful to the professional photographer as the photography student. There is a large format book and darkroom logbook I definitely wish I had back when I was a student. And although I shoot mainly 6x7 now, I know that all the photographic data that I like to record didn't really have a cohesive and beautifully designed solution... so I decided to make it myself. Other artists and photography friends really like the notebooks and want some for themselves so they pushed me to develop the project into a proper product. So here it is, take a few minutes and find out more:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/papercrate/analogbook-the-photographers-notebook (http://goo.gl/ZCmCvT)

I'd really appreciate any support and feedback so I can make these the best possible notebooks for the widest variety of photographers. Thanks!

papac
17-Feb-2014, 13:33
Thats a nice project and I just pledge 12 GBP and hope for many others to join in.

/c

papercrate
17-Feb-2014, 14:13
Thats a nice project and I just pledge 12 GBP and hope for many others to join in.

/c

Much appreciated Christian. It is often daunting posting a personal project to a forum full of fellow serious photographers (or any forum for that matter). People would often rather tear a person or their product idea down before offering advice, feedback or support.

Thanks again!

papac
17-Feb-2014, 14:21
I have seen that kind of comments all to often, sad every time. I have always been a fan of people doing stuff instead of talking so when this came up it was no hard decision. I have my own homemade papers for my notes and they work good for me but everything can be better so keep on working.

You can see my paper here. Itīs made for my needs and lots of information are just to check or do a ring around, easier then trying to write letters and words;)

Hope to see your finished notebook.

/c

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8077/8274811090_b7241c8431_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/papac/8274811090/)
exp.form (http://www.flickr.com/photos/papac/8274811090/) by papac_1 (http://www.flickr.com/people/papac/), on Flickr

papercrate
17-Feb-2014, 15:14
Awesome, great to see your papers Christian. Looking forward to having your input during the project.

David Swinnard
17-Feb-2014, 21:09
I too designed (and redesigned) a page layout for my 4x5 shooting notes. I'm a fan of the "circle the right item" approach. Fast. But, customized for my equipment and way of doing things. (e.g. lens selection, film holder (I use Grafmatics so I have a sheet number option too)

Printed on "Rite in the Rain" paper, double sided with my laser printer, and I'm good to go...

I have not bothered with darkroom or small format notebooks.

Best of luck with your project, it's intriguing.

rdenney
20-Feb-2014, 05:42
Please don't promote or link to this Kickstarter project outside this thread.

Rick "per guidelines" Denney

papercrate
22-Feb-2014, 15:23
No problem Rick.

Please don't promote or link to this Kickstarter project outside this thread.

Rick "per guidelines" Denney

Ed Bray
23-Feb-2014, 02:22
I've pledged Ģ20 as a Shooter, it my first foray into the 'kickstarter' world so hoping that it all goes well.

koh303
23-Feb-2014, 09:56
Cool project! just pledged, good luck!

papercrate
24-Feb-2014, 06:38
Thanks Ed and koh303 of CatLABS. I appreciate the support. I've gotten some great feedback and notes from photographers and backers so far.

koh303, I actually just missed pledging for your Papersafe issue 01 Kickstarter project. I was on the page when the last book went. Gutted! I'll be quicker for issue 2!

feppe
27-Feb-2014, 10:00
Backed, good notes are exactly what I'm missing!

csxcnj
28-Feb-2014, 08:08
I just pledged and selected the "shooter" option.
It said to select a format size for the three notebooks but when I pledged there were no options to choose from. Obviously I'd like the large format size.

Thank, Bob

feppe
28-Feb-2014, 19:03
I just pledged and selected the "shooter" option.
It said to select a format size for the three notebooks but when I pledged there were no options to choose from. Obviously I'd like the large format size.

From their FAQ on KS:

At the conclusion of the Kickstarter fundraising period backers are sent a form to indicate their desired format and enter their postal address to where the rewards will be sent.

light-spigot
28-Feb-2014, 19:38
I was just looking for this in a digital version which captures a snapshot of the frame, with tagged GPS coordinates to x-reference and which can be exported in order to print a hard copy for filing with the negative. Trying to match hand written records to film after field notes are forgotten or misread is simplified with the snapshot of the frame. The only app ('Analogger') I've located to date hasn't been updated since 2012 and was not ready for prime time then- according to reviews; and may only support roll film.

-I pledged for a Snapper set but didn't see a place to select the Large Format version (i'm a kickstarter virgin)?

csxcnj
28-Feb-2014, 20:26
[QUOTE=feppe;1115134]From their FAQ on.....

yeah, I saw that after poking around a little. Thanks.

feppe
7-Mar-2014, 11:44
The funding has been successful, and there are still 7 days to go to reach stretch goals!

Nicolasllasera
12-Mar-2014, 04:10
Just pledged with two more friends.

Rollinhofuji
12-Mar-2014, 04:24
Just pledged as a "Shooter" - great project!!!

Delfi_r
12-Mar-2014, 04:58
Pledged, congrats for the success!

papercrate
12-Mar-2014, 18:32
Incredible... 142% funded with still two days remaining!

Thanks again to all those who have supported the project and provided invaluable feedback. Looking forward to creating an awesome set of photography notebooks for you all!

:D

Rollinhofuji
13-Mar-2014, 02:54
I did some promotion in my invite-only forum, hope that helps :-)

csxcnj
6-Aug-2014, 11:45
Received my Analogbooks today. Two large and one medium format with Darkroom book. I'm very glad I helped fund this and feel I really got my money's worth. I'll be purchasing more as the need arises.

andrehh
6-Aug-2014, 13:47
Mine have found their way to Germany too. Very satisfied with the results.

Larry Kellogg
6-Aug-2014, 18:48
Any chance to buy these outside of KickStarter?

Toyon
6-Aug-2014, 19:16
Any chance to buy these outside of KickStarter?

Yup, I am looking forward to buying them when they are in general release as well.

papercrate
7-Aug-2014, 14:37
Thanks guys! Lovely to hear.

The website and online shop is up and running since Friday as well. There is a few stock remaining from the first print run available for sale now that the Kickstarter campaign has completed.

www.analogbook.com

Thanks again to those who backed and provided such great feedback. Looking forward to make Analogbooks even better moving forward.