PDA

View Full Version : Seeking mat cutter recommendations

Kosta
17-Sep-2004, 17:52
I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm interested in purchasing a mat cutter, in particular one for rather large pieces as I can see myself wanting to frame prints that are up to 40"x50". I know these can be quite pricey items, but I figure you get what you pay for (usually), and with the number of images that I want to frame, it will pay itself off after a half dozen images.

Any advise on features to get/avoid, recommended models, etc.. would be greatly appreciated

Jorge Gasteazoro
17-Sep-2004, 18:57
Here you go, this is the one you need. If I could afford it, it is what I would get.

http://framersisland.com/product_info.php/cPath/2/products_id/109

60 inch C+H mat cutter.

Ted Harris
17-Sep-2004, 19:34
Wit5h mat cutters you definitely get what you pay for. C+H is one of the best. Less expensive cutters will do the job but they are harder, much harder to use and you may have a lot of rejects. With a C+H it is an easy job. 40 x 50 takes you almost into the stratosphere with cutters. The next size down 48" is much more reasonable. Talk to Gritsco at C+H about wether or not there is a way to use this next smaller size ... he is a great guy and lots of help.

BTW I hate cutting mats and am thinking of getting rid of my cutter. See my email.

Rich Long
17-Sep-2004, 19:46
I have a 60" Logan 760. I'm sure it's not as good as the C&H, but it works fine for me. And it's $1,000 cheaper.

Disclaimer: This is the only mat cutter I've used, so I don't have anything to compare against. I haven't used it for anything bigger than 42 inches. I don't use it frequently - I might mount 3 to 6 photos one weekend, then nothing for the next two months.

Dave Schneider
17-Sep-2004, 19:51
Don't buy a C+H or Fletcher mat cutter until you check out the Keencut Ulitmat. This is an excellent quality mat cutter and a bit less expensive than the comparable models. The Keencut has many standard features which are costly add-ons with the Fletcher and C+H. I have the model that does up to 48 inch cuts, I think they make a 60 or 62 inch model as well. If you want to make really large mats you may also want to check out some of the X-Y cutters, MatMaster is the name that pops into my head but I'm not sure that's right. These cut in both directions with the mat board left stationary. They take up a lot of space but I would think that with large mats they would be able to make longer, straighter cuts. Most of these X-Y type cutters are now being motorized with computer interfaces if you want the really big bucks models.

Dave Schneider
17-Sep-2004, 19:52
Speed-Mat was the name of the X-Y cutter I was thinking of.

frank ferreira
17-Sep-2004, 22:24
keencut is the way to go. mine is also 48 in but they make larger. in nine years i have never had a bad mat,,,no overrun cuts and absolute repeatability. frank ferreira

ronald moravec
18-Sep-2004, 08:21
Fletcher is the very best, of course you pay for it.

Keith S. Walklet
23-Sep-2004, 08:49
Among my circle of fellow photographers, the choice has been the Esterly SpeedMat system (url http://www.speedmat.com) At last count, six of us have one. With the stops set, one can cut a perfect window in fifteen seconds. The largest model currently produced will handle mats 60 inches long by 40 high. It is a wall mounted system with a hefty price tag, but for anyone who has labored to cut accurate windows for oversize pieces, the choice is an easy one. We all use the Standard model which features nylon rollers and a hand-operated head. They also make higher-end models with ball bearing rollers and pneumatic heads for really high volume production work. The only downside to the system is a straight blade head for trimming the mats to size. This was due to be replaced with a rotary blade head any day now. In hindsight, I waited years too long before buying mine.

hindu
23-Feb-2005, 10:01
The best quality of CMC on the market is a Gunnar. With over a 15yrs in the market the have always made a great machine, I know this first hand after having one since 99.

robert_4927
23-Feb-2005, 11:01
I have played with a few different cutters and some very nice ones at that. But I have cut some of my best mats on a cheap logan 301. I think it's a lot to do with how well you know your cutter. Now I wouldn't recommend a Logan 301 for production work but for just my own stuff it worked fine.What ever you decide to buy just practice some on some scrap mat pieces, you'll be surprised at how proficient you will become in no time