PDA

View Full Version : LPL 4550 XLG Adjustment

Luis-F-S
16-Feb-2014, 19:01
The counter balance spring of my LPL enlarger is a bit laxed; the head creeps down slightly if I don't tighten the carriage lock. On my 4500-II the head stays where ever you stop it. Is there a way to adjust the tension, or do I just live with it?

Thanks,

Luis

Luis-F-S
4-Mar-2014, 17:31
Ok, since no one responded to this exciting post, I thought I'd mention that after talking with KHB, if you tighten the carriage adjust bolts on the left side of the carriage, it will instill enough friction that the head will not creep much. Those bolts are reverse thread, that is counter-clockwise to tighten. L

Michael Clark
4-Mar-2014, 20:09
Thanks Luis for looking into this, my Saunders LPL is doing the same thing. The bolts you are talking about have jam nuts on them too?

Mike

Luis-F-S
4-Mar-2014, 20:53
Yup, those are the ones. Loosen the jam nut (12mm wrench) then turn the screw CC to tighten, then re-tighten the jam nut. They also said to make sure it has the right counter balance spring (40 mm wide) vs the one for the 4500-II (30 mm wide). This should not be an issue unless someone in a previous life replaced the spring with the wrong one.

They also suggested cleaning the spring with alcohol and then re-lub with a very light amount of vaseline (I used the white lithium grease I use on my Durst). I don't think that did anything, though I guess it was good routine maintenance. L

Michael Clark
4-Mar-2014, 21:18
Have never messed with the springs, will have to take a look, every thing else works great its a nice enlarger.