PDA

View Full Version : Cibachrome processor-good for anything?

Neal Chaves
16-Feb-2014, 16:14
Ciba-Ilford Cap 40 Processor is avaiable locally with some other lab equipment. Does this have a current application?

Bill_1856
16-Feb-2014, 16:18
I don't know -- I gave mine away.

Jim Rice
16-Feb-2014, 18:57
It can be "re-geared" for RA-4. The change involves replacing the cogged pullies and belt. I have some links somewhere. I'll see if I can dig them up.

KennyMark
16-Feb-2014, 21:17
I have a paper copy of an article in which a man named Tom Barnes describes the conversion as "replacing the existing drive pulley with a 1.62" diameter by 0.59" pulley with 0.10" x 0.05" flanges. The outer diameter of the pulley including the flanges is 1.82". The drive hole is .312" (5/16") in diameter. Replace the drive belt with a Craftsman 99007-001 or equivalent. This is the timing belt from a Craftsman model 315.11701 belt sander. Install the belt with the flat side toward the pulley." He goes on to describe using RA-4RT chemicals and his replenishment rate as 28 ml per 8x10 print every 10 to 12 prints. He changes his rinse water in the third bath at the same time. This pulley and belt combination gives him 4 min 30 seconds for an 8" print and 6 min 35 seconds for a 20" long print. While the print will receive 45 seconds of wash contact in the third bath, a longer wash period is recommended following its exit from the processor.
I've yet to convert mine but plan to next spring or summer. Let me know if you convert yours and how it goes for you.

alavergh
16-Feb-2014, 22:14
I'm sorry to jump into this thread with a slightly unrelated post, but is there any traditional way to print slide film anymore?

Neal Chaves
17-Feb-2014, 13:54
Thanks all, I guess its headed for the scrap yard.
Neal

Renato Tonelli
18-Feb-2014, 08:31
I'm sorry to jump into this thread with a slightly unrelated post, but is there any traditional way to print slide film anymore?

Not as far as I know.

I gave my CAP-40 away as well but kept the Durst Printo.

Drew Wiley
18-Feb-2014, 09:21
Drums should still be good for any number of things, including RA4.

KennyMark
18-Feb-2014, 14:33
Neal

Neal,
Are you looking for a way to use it or looking for a buyer?
Kenny

joselsgil
18-Feb-2014, 21:39

Good question.

I don't know if any labs are still doing type R printing. I used to have Fuji make some type R prints many moons ago.

The other method would be an internegative. For all of the work involved, digital printing would be the way to go in today's world :)

Larry Gebhardt
20-Feb-2014, 09:20
It's also good for parts for an ICP42. But as stated it can be regeared so it can process RA4. My ICP42 works great for 16x20 RA4. The regeared CAP40 should be the same.

Drew Wiley
20-Feb-2014, 11:07
RA4 is much more tolerant of variations in RPM than Ciba. The main difference with processors beside timing, is that dedicated Ciba processors had to be far more
corrosion-resistant, so actually better built.

dsphotog
20-Feb-2014, 11:49
The only bad thing about the Cap-40 is the temp isn't adjustable.

Drew Wiley
20-Feb-2014, 12:13
that shouldn't be much of an issue, just one more thing to switch out

Asher Kelman
4-Apr-2014, 15:52
So does anyone here still have a formable a durst of original Cibachrome processor and what sources are there for paper and chemistry. I'm interested in 50".

Thanks,

Asher

KennyMark
5-Apr-2014, 18:50
Asher,
I'm not sure that I understand your question. What I can tell you is that a roller transport processor that handles up to 50" material would be difficult to locate, but probably not all that badly priced compared to what they originally sold for. Transport costs would be the killer, as well as the space to devote to it. Then there's the quantity of chemicals necessary to operate it. I have seen some large print processors listed on eBay now and then in the $20K-$50K price range. I can't recall if any were in the 48" to 50" ballpark though.
RA-4 print material and chemicals are readily available. There used to be a positive print material on the market called Ilfocolor (made by the Swiss part of the company, not Ilford-Harmon) that has apparently disappeared. That used an RA-4 process IIRC, but other than that, the only way to print from positive transparencies today is to shoot an internegative or a hybrid scan and print.
Please clarify your question if I have not addressed it.

Kenny

So does anyone here still have a formable a durst of original Cibachrome processor and what sources are there for paper and chemistry. I'm interested in 50".

Thanks,

Asher

Mark Sampson
5-Apr-2014, 18:56
Kodak's internegative film (4325?) has been gone for 7 or 8 years. Don't know if any other maker ever offered one. Kodak's type R chemistry and papers are also long gone. So analog prints from transparencies, at least with EK materials, are essentially a thing of the past.

KennyMark
5-Apr-2014, 19:03
Mark,
Thanks for the reminder. In my mind today, when I think of shooting an internegative, I presume to use something like Portra to aid in contrast control. Sadly it's easy to forget about some of the products that we took for granted for so long.
Kenny

stawastawa
9-Apr-2014, 22:26
I thought ciba materials were still availible in europe. if so the processor could still be used as is for its original purpose!

dsphotog
11-Apr-2014, 17:29
I thought ciba materials were still availible in europe. if so the processor could still be used as is for its original purpose!

Anyone know sources for Ilfochrome?

tgtaylor
11-Apr-2014, 18:34

What about using a variation on the tricolor exposure method?

Thomas

Wayne
19-Apr-2014, 22:22
Neal

Please send me the rollers and pumps first. If it has good parts they should not just be trashed, please.