PDA

View Full Version : Fuji 250 f5.6 soft?

John Conway
16-Feb-2014, 09:41
Is the Fuji 250 soft 5.6 lens a type of soft lens that needs discs to control various levels of diffusion? I see it for sale with a disc and without.

brianjnelson
16-Feb-2014, 09:53
Yes

John Conway
16-Feb-2014, 10:15
OK...so no disc , no diffusion . Thanks .

Ken Lee
16-Feb-2014, 10:27
The Fujinon SFS gives lovely soft focus without the disk. The disks allow you to create additional, special effects.

I use a 180 SFS and do not have any disks. See this page (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/Fujinon180.html) for a few sample images, made with the lens stopped down a small amount.

mdarnton
16-Feb-2014, 11:11
The diffusion part of things comes from the perimeter of the lens. As you stop down, cutting off the perimeter, you lose the diffusion, and it turns into a normally-sharp lens. What to do if you need to stop down for the light, and for depth of field, yet keep the diffusion, then? Slip on a disk, which has a central opening for effective aperture to cut down some of the light, and a bunch of holes around the edge, to let through some of the diffusion at the same time, for the best of both worlds.

John Conway
16-Feb-2014, 20:12
The Fujinon SFS gives lovely soft focus without the disk. The disks allow you to create additional, special effects.

I use a 180 SFS and do not have any disks. See this page (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/Fujinon180.html) for a few sample images, made with the lens stopped down a small amount.

Thanks Ken. The Fuji SF lens does give a very nice softness.

John Conway
16-Feb-2014, 20:13
The diffusion part of things comes from the perimeter of the lens. As you stop down, cutting off the perimeter, you lose the diffusion, and it turns into a normally-sharp lens. What to do if you need to stop down for the light, and for depth of field, yet keep the diffusion, then? Slip on a disk, which has a central opening for effective aperture to cut down some of the light, and a bunch of holes around the edge, to let through some of the diffusion at the same time, for the best of both worlds.
Thanks for the very informative reply.

AtlantaTerry
17-Feb-2014, 00:52
I wonder if someone had a CNC machine if they could make a set of disks for the OP? Heck, for anyone needing a set.

Jim Jones
17-Feb-2014, 07:35
We can replace the glass from a cheap filter with a disk perforated somewhat like the original disks.

Louis Pacilla
17-Feb-2014, 09:50
I wonder if someone had a CNC machine if they could make a set of disks for the OP? Heck, for anyone needing a set.

Mid-West photo supply had/has at least one of the two strainers for Fujinon 250 SF lens. Not sure if they have the red dot but they at the least have the yellow.

http://mpex.com/fuji-250soft-focus-disc-yell.html

DrTang
17-Feb-2014, 11:30
I had one that didn't have a disk

up until f8 it was pretty soft anyway

OK...so no disc , no diffusion . Thanks .

e
17-Aug-2014, 18:59
They have pretty big coverage as well..I just threw the 180 SF on my 8x10..and it looks like it covers..haven't tried it yet..probably soft corners stopped all the way down..but for artsy stuff..will cover..
..as the 250 mm Fuji soft focus..will cover ULF too..