PDA

View Full Version : Longest focal length w/ Linhof Tech V without need for special bellows?

MonkeyBrain
15-Feb-2014, 07:49
I'd like to get a really long lens to use with my Tech V 4x5. But I don't want to be messing around with changing anything on the camera itself. I think I read somewhere that the longest lens that can be calibrated to the rangefinder is a 300mm, which I already have, so I'm resigned to the fact that I'll need to focus on the GG if I'm to use anything longer.

What's the longest the Tech V's standard bellows will allow me to use? Can anyone suggest a sharp, "neutral" (i.e. something reasonably modern, without the need for mad bokeh or other unique effects) lens at that focal length?

I'm not in the least bit interested in "holy grails", just a reasonable quality standard working lens. Preferably something that I could pick up S/H in a shutter for a few hundred dollars max.

Thanks

Bob Salomon
15-Feb-2014, 08:21
360mm is the usual longest. Nikon made a tele that could also be used up to, if I remember correctly, 400mm. Wista makes an extension lens board that will let you use some longer lenses on a Technika. Of course, near focus is limited by the amount of extension and physically being able to fit is limited by the diameter of the rear lens group.

MonkeyBrain
15-Feb-2014, 09:09
Thanks Bob, very helpful.

Probably wouldnt be worth my while bothering to buy another lens just to get 60mm more than the 300 I already have, but a 400 would be good if I can find the Nikon you mention.Any suggestion as to where I might be able to find info regarding the precise model?

Will look into the Wista board too.

MonkeyBrain
15-Feb-2014, 09:47
I found this elsewhere on LF:

"Another option, as already noted, is an extension board for a standard, non-telephoto 360mm. I use a Wista extension board to mount a Fujinon 450mm on my present Linhof Master Technika (it has 16"+ extension.) The Wista design is quite nice; it's a set of threaded rings that can be screwed together to provide up to 4" extra extension--though all that extension can be a little unstable, depending on your camera."

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/archive/index.php/t-5189.html

Sounds promising, but is there a difference in bellows extensions between the Tech V and a Master?

Bob Salomon
15-Feb-2014, 09:56
No,it is the same

Bob Salomon
15-Feb-2014, 09:58
Thanks Bob, very helpful.

Probably wouldnt be worth my while bothering to buy another lens just to get 60mm more than the 300 I already have, but a 400 would be good if I can find the Nikon you mention.Any suggestion as to where I might be able to find info regarding the precise model?

Will look into the Wista board too.
Call me when we reopen on Tuesday and I can find it. 800 735-4373 x15

MonkeyBrain
15-Feb-2014, 10:13
Thanks again.

I'm on the other side of the world right now so phoning sounds like a slightly costly option. But really, thanks for the offer.

I also found this suggestion:

"I don't want to add to the quandry, but if a lightweight, super sharp, longer focal length lens is what you want, check out the Fujinon 450c (c for compact). It is tiny and just awesome. I use with with my Linhof MT2K. It is not a tele. I need to extend the bellows fully to use it, but I bought an Ebony extension lensboard to get extra draw and it is great. I can focus in at about 40 feet with that board extension."

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/006NQM

40 feet isnt exactly close, but it might be ok for my purposes if nothing else is available.

EDIT: Having done a little research, I'm not sure that a lens which merely "might be ok for my purposes" is worth paying the price that the fujinon 450c tends to go for. The search continues...

If you remember to look it up, please do post the Nikon info. But no worries if you forget.

Jac@stafford.net
15-Feb-2014, 10:33
I bought an Ebony extension lensboard to get extra draw and it is great. I can focus in at about 40 feet with that board extension."

Note that you can extend the back a couple more inches. Along with the extensions, perhaps you can focus closer yet.

MonkeyBrain
15-Feb-2014, 11:13
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

Though its always possible that 40 feet was already with the back extended.

Either way though, that Fujinon 450c costs way more than I paid for any of the lenses I currently own (and which I make more use of than I'm ever likely to get out of a 450mm).

Oren Grad
15-Feb-2014, 11:43
The Nikkor tele sets were 360/500/720 and 600/800/1200, with the different FL's achieved by mixing and matching front and rear components. The 500mm combination is specified as requiring a flange focal distance of 349.9mm. The 360 requires 261mm.

Details here, if you don't mind wading through the Japanese:

http://www.nikon-image.com/products/lens/lf/t/ed360mmf8.htm

http://www.nikon-image.com/products/lens/lf/t/ed500mmf11.htm

Jac@stafford.net
15-Feb-2014, 11:46
[...]Either way though, that Fujinon 450c costs way more than I paid for any of the lenses I currently own (and which I make more use of than I'm ever likely to get out of a 450mm).

Considering that the 360 Tele-Arton is only 8% shorter, and that it is a telephoto with adequate bellows left over, perhaps just cropping the negative would suffice, and save you money.

MonkeyBrain
15-Feb-2014, 12:14
The Nikkor tele sets were 360/500/720 and 600/800/1200, with the different FL's achieved by mixing and matching front and rear components. The 500mm combination is specified as requiring a flange focal distance of 349.9mm. The 360 requires 261mm.

Details here, if you don't mind wading through the Japanese:

http://www.nikon-image.com/products/lens/lf/t/ed360mmf8.htm

http://www.nikon-image.com/products/lens/lf/t/ed500mmf11.htm

Hey thanks,

I dont actually know what FFD I have on my camera (and google doesnt seem to know either). Do you think the 500mm combination might work on a Tech V?

I'd come to the conclusion that probably my best bet would be a Fujinon T 400 f.8 (I have the 300mm version already and like the results), but if I could get away with a 500mm instead of a 400 that would be great.

Though I'd have to look at prices before getting too excited; the fujinons seem to go for about the top end of my budget, but given that the nikon is effectively 3 lenses in one I'm guessing itll cost more.

MonkeyBrain
15-Feb-2014, 12:16
Considering that the 360 Tele-Arton is only 8% shorter, and that it is a telephoto with adequate bellows left over, perhaps just cropping the negative would suffice, and save you money.

Thanks but I really hate cropping.

Though that's more because it totally changes composition than because of the loss of resolution (though that too).

Oren Grad
15-Feb-2014, 12:48
I dont actually know what FFD I have on my camera (and google doesnt seem to know either). Do you think the 500mm combination might work on a Tech V?

The Master Technika instruction manual I have on hand says that the maximum bellows draw is 430mm, so the 500mm Nikkor T should be well within reach. In principle, it ought to be able to manage the 600 as well (409.2mm), but that one's in Copal 3 and weighs 1650 g, and I'm not sure you want to hang that much mass at the far end of a Technika focus bed stretched all the way.

but given that the nikon is effectively 3 lenses in one I'm guessing itll cost more.

It's uncommon to find complete Nikkor tele sets for sale. Usually what you find is single combinations of front and rear components, or with one extra component to allow two FL's. Not surprisingly, the longer combinations tend to be harder to find. Anyway, it may not solve your problem, as the longer ones especially tend to be fairly expensive.

MonkeyBrain
15-Feb-2014, 13:00
The Master Technika instruction manual I have on hand says that the maximum bellows draw is 430mm, so the 500mm Nikkor T should be well within reach. In principle, it ought to be able to manage the 600 as well (409.2mm), but that one's in Copal 3 and weighs 1650 g, and I'm not sure you want to hang that much mass at the far end of a Technika focus bed stretched all the way.

It's uncommon to find complete Nikkor tele sets for sale. Usually what you find is single combinations of front and rear components, or with one extra component to allow two FL's. Not surprisingly, the longer combinations tend to be harder to find. Anyway, it may not solve your problem, as the longer ones especially tend to be fairly expensive.

Ah yes, the manual. Ooops :o

Anyway, thats good news. As a 500 is quite a long lens.

Thanks for explaining about the Nikkor sets. It actually suits me better that I wouldnt have to pay for 3 lenses when I only need one. However I looked around a little for a 500mm and the only one I could find on sale costs a good $300 more than the Fujinon T 400 would cost me, so I'm not sure. Maybe if I'm patient though.

What do you think would happen with such a heavy weight on the from of the camera? Obviously it wouldnt be very stable on a tripod, but otherwise? Do you think it might damage the bed/bellows?

Jac@stafford.net
15-Feb-2014, 13:12
What do you think would happen with such a heavy weight on the from of the camera? Obviously it wouldnt be very stable on a tripod, but otherwise? Do you think it might damage the bed/bellows?

The Technika has two tripod mounts. Use the rear one for the camera body, and the one on the bed with a monopod or a brace to the front leg of the tripod.

MonkeyBrain
15-Feb-2014, 13:53
The Technika has two tripod mounts. Use the rear one for the camera body, and the one on the bed with a monopod or a brace to the front leg of the tripod.

Thanks. The brace sounds more practical. But thinking about the weight that's in my camera case already I'd probably go for the 500mm over the 600mm in the end anyway tbh

Btw, I seem to remember you recommended a Wista telescopic lupe to me on here a few months back. Ive been looking on the 'bay for one periodically ever since, but none have come up at all. In fact the only long lupes Ive seen this whole time have been the $70 Chinese ones. Never thought it would be so difficult to find a lupe.

I gather that Horseman and Toyo also made long lupes for viewing through the hood, do you know if these are comparable to the Wista?

Not that I've seen any of these two come up for sale either, but, incase I ever do...

Might just have to get a Chinese one in the end as I'm not sure how much longer I can continue working without a lupe now. I'll put start a WTB thread in the classifieds forum now though and see if anything comes up.

Jac@stafford.net
15-Feb-2014, 14:00
Btw, I seem to remember you recommended a Wista telescopic lupe to me on here a few months back. Ive been looking on the 'bay for one periodically ever since, but none have come up at all. [...]

Each time I visit the 'bay, I remember that recommendation and look for the long Wista for you. Frankly, I am mystified. Did they make it so long ago for just a little while?

I gather that Horseman and Toyo also made long lupes for viewing through the hood, do you know if these are comparable to the Wista?

I do not know. Sorry.

Bob Salomon
15-Feb-2014, 14:46
I do not know. Sorry.

It has been discontinued for a few years now.

MonkeyBrain
15-Feb-2014, 15:20
"Each time I visit the 'bay, I remember that recommendation and look for the long Wista for you. Frankly, I am mystified. Did they make it so long ago for just a little while"

Thanks, that's very kind of you. The fact that none have come up for sale is probably a sign that most people who bought one agree with your recommendation.

Though searching again now I uncovered a thread on here where someone was discussing their enormous collection of lupes (they had like 8 or 10...I can't imagine what on earth for) so perhaps people are just hoarding them?

Jac@stafford.net
16-Feb-2014, 11:07
To be specific it is Wista Hood Loupe model 1045

As Bob S. (Wista distributor) wrote, it is discontinued, and if you browse retail sites you will find very many brands of ground-glass loupes are not available. Quite disappointing. It might be due to low demand. Dunno.

MonkeyBrain
17-Feb-2014, 01:55
Thanks, model noted. Will keep looking.

Yeah, I very much doubt there's any real demand for these new now. But I also would have imagined that the lack of demand would mean there'd be plenty of them on the S/H market. Strangely, it seems not...

Corran
17-Feb-2014, 10:32
Late to the party here but yes, the 500mm Nikkor-T works fine on my Master Technika. I have an extension board, and it just barely doesn't reach infinity for the 720mm element, which is disappointing. I guess I need a slightly longer extension for that one.

Whenever I use long lenses I usually add a monopod to the front standard somehow. For the 720mm I have used my Chamonix 45-n1 with a fabricated extension bar. I drilled a hole in the bar to accept the monopod. Works perfectly with no stability issues.

Bob Salomon
18-Feb-2014, 08:40
The longest lens listed by Linhof in the 1994 catalog was the 360mm T-Nikkor ED mounted on the 001119 board. The same listing also shows that the 500mm version in the same board fits the Technikardan 45 and 45S. But the TK has more extension then a 45 Technika.
In the 1976 Linhof catalog the longest lens listed for the 45Technika was the 360mm Tele Arton and Tele Xenar lenses.
In the latest Linhof factory price list the longest lens for the 45 Technika is the 400mm Apo Tele Xenar mounted on a special version of the 00119 called the 001119z board. This board has the hole milled in a different position then the regular 001119 board and is special order only.

MonkeyBrain
21-Feb-2014, 06:52
Thanks Corran and Bob. Not made any decision yet so the info is useful.

Wall-H
13-Dec-2023, 18:56
The longest lens listed by Linhof in the 1994 catalog was the 360mm T-Nikkor ED mounted on the 001119 board. The same listing also shows that the 500mm version in the same board fits the Technikardan 45 and 45S. But the TK has more extension then a 45 Technika.
In the 1976 Linhof catalog the longest lens listed for the 45Technika was the 360mm Tele Arton and Tele Xenar lenses.
In the latest Linhof factory price list the longest lens for the 45 Technika is the 400mm Apo Tele Xenar mounted on a special version of the 00119 called the 001119z board. This board has the hole milled in a different position then the regular 001119 board and is special order only.

Hey Sir,
I'm seriously considering Technikardan 45 and 45S and Nikkor-T 360mm or 500mm. I loved the Technikardan 23 when i held in my hand but is there any way possible to extend that bellow ? or tube perhaps to push lens forward via custom board or special order?