PDA

View Full Version : Arg!!

DrTang
14-Feb-2014, 11:33
So... I find a 4x5 reducing back for my Linhof Tech 5x7

sweet

and it's an 'International Back' version too..so I can use roll holders and my Polaroid 405 back
on my 5x7

or so I thought... the 405 Instant film back fits on the 4x5 back (the actual 4x5 circular part)...but not when attached to the adapter

the Polaroid instant holder anyway kind of has a bulge on the top that hits the frame of the adapter.. I suppose on 4x5 cameras, or adapter backs that don't sit as flush to the frame.. the buge is not a problem

my question..I guess..is.. is the Fuji Version of the instant pack film back any different?

brianjnelson
14-Feb-2014, 21:47
Can you post a photo showing the problem?

BTMarcais
17-Feb-2014, 00:08
Well, my fuji PA-145 fits fine on the 4x5 reducing back I have for my 5x7 tech. There is a bulge on the fuji back, but it might not be as prominent as the 405?
There is definitely a fair amount of small variation in Linhof designs, especially in the 5x7's it seems.
We should probably compare photos of our backs at some point.
-Brian

DrTang
1-Mar-2014, 19:55
Alright

Pix #1 is the P405 back mounted on my 4x5 tech III - - you can see that there is a bulge on the underside of the back, but on a 4x5 it doesn't matter as it hangs off
- you can't rotate the back with it on - but that's no biggie

Pix #2 shows the 5x7 to 4x5 adapter and how little of a standoff there is from the platten

- that buldge thing is 'just' a little big for the pback to fit on

I'm wondering if the fuji instant film back has less of a 'buldge' ?

Tin Can
1-Mar-2014, 20:45
My PA-45 fits my 4x5 to 5x7 to 8x10 ancient Linhof Color.

DrTang
1-Mar-2014, 21:35
Hmmm - perhaps I should try to get one of those

wait...I'd want the PA-145 holder..... I wonder if there is a difference in fitment?

Tin Can
1-Mar-2014, 21:45
Don't know that.

Hmmm - perhaps I should try to get one of those

wait...I'd want the PA-145 holder..... I wonder if there is a difference in fitment?

csxcnj
2-Mar-2014, 07:47
I'm assuming you're talking about the film gate. This is not an exact measurement but comparing the Fuji and Polaroid backs side by side the bulge on the Polaroid is about a small 1/8th of an inch larger than the Fuji measuring from the front of the holder to the back.

Is the bulge on the Polaroid just slightly to big or a whole bunch too big?

csxcnj
2-Mar-2014, 10:24
The Polaroid at its deepest point is 1-17/32"
The Fuji is 1-13/32"

DrTang
2-Mar-2014, 10:29
an 1/8" would be tight - a 1/4" would probably work

looks like I'll have to get one in person..or with a money back guarantee

Thanks guys

I'm assuming you're talking about the film gate. This is not an exact measurement but comparing the Fuji and Polaroid backs side by side the bulge on the Polaroid is about a small 1/8th of an inch larger than the Fuji measuring from the front of the holder to the back.

Is the bulge on the Polaroid just slightly to big or a whole bunch too big?

csxcnj
2-Mar-2014, 11:06
The gap between the lock strip and the "bulge" is also an 1/8" wider on the Fuji than my Polaroid. It looks like the Linhof back slopes on all sides. Maybe that will give you enough room for the Fuji.

Polaroid had two different styles of this holder. Mine is the older version. Yours actually looks more like the Fuji version so what I'm reporting could just be incorrect for you.

Anyway, keep your eye on KEH. They frequently have Fuji holders and are extremely understanding about returns. I'd email and let Them know you're looking for one.

I just started using these and they are fun.

DrTang
2-Mar-2014, 15:19
It looks like the Linhof back slopes on all sides. ...

yeah..my back is apparently an older one that Doesn't slope - it's flat - so that makes it more problematic

This whole thing is because it would be cool to put a p-back on my 5x7 to test out lenses that would not fit on my 4x5 (because of flange size mostly)

- so... it's not a critical need...BUT NOW that I started on this path - - I MUST MAKE IT SO

my new plan is to buy or build a spacer with a graflock ..or hell... even a cambo sping back might work (those things have a wide bail opening if I remember)

it's not important to me to keep the same focus distance as it is with a 5x7 back.. I'd refocus anyway if I was switching backs around..so a little spacer might be the ticket

DrTang
3-Mar-2014, 08:27
Done and Done

in looking around on ebay for some kind of 'spacer' or something I could convert..I found another 57 to 45 reducing back with a bigger stand off - so I bought it

and it cost me no more than I probably would have spent messing around trying to build something (especially if one includes gas for driving to the hardware store and back like 15 times)

so..anyone need a flat 57 to 45 Linhoff reducing back???