PDA

View Full Version : How to separate UV glued modern lens elements?

monkeymon
12-Feb-2014, 07:26
Is there a way, i can separate modern UV glued lens elements?

Jody_S
12-Feb-2014, 15:04
Is there a way, i can separate modern UV glued lens elements?

Glass jar with sealed lid, paint stripper, time (days-weeks).

Kevin Crisp
12-Feb-2014, 15:09
I've had good luck with MEK, but it can take a week or more. Acetone would probably eventually work as well. If it is working, you'll start to see a cloudy ring around the elements. It will progress in toward the middle, and eventually you can pop them apart with a fingernail.

Summers Optical makes a checmical for this, but it is very flammable and must be used with a true lab-style hotplate, not simply an electric burner with a glowing orange element. It should be much faster. I bought a quart of it and haven't used it due to safety concerns.

cikaziva
12-Feb-2014, 15:31
hello, i did a lot of separation of UV cement. good industrial acetone works. it thanks time but it works. find dental and prothetic supplies firm in your aria and you can buy specialized cement separator. its cheap but it fumes up so ware the mask. good luck

gleaf
12-Feb-2014, 16:25
Re paint stripper. Watch out for strippers with a content including "n methylpyrrolidone". Make sure any lens coatings will withstand the chemical soup.

imagedowser
12-Feb-2014, 16:54
When you re-cement the lenses, use canadian balsam.... the vast majority of lenses made between 1850 and1950 are still fine and not separating. Easy to use easy to reverse, organic and as a result less toxic.

monkeymon
12-Feb-2014, 18:53
Thanks for the replies, i'll try acetone and give it some time! I already got some UV glue and glued one lens with it, seems to work nicely.. and this is a modern lens for RB67...

And sorry for posting this in the lens sections, probably should go under DYI.

Steven Tribe
17-Feb-2014, 03:57
As this is a common problem, it would be a good idea to click on the black triangle (bottom left) and ask if the mods could move the thread to DIY.

The balsam "experience" is far more adjustable and reversible than the synthetic/UV process (for beginners!).