PDA

View Full Version : George Tice

macandal
11-Feb-2014, 21:16
I wanted to see the documentary that's been made about George Tice. I didn't know anything about him, and I had a chance to see some of his prints at a gallery here in San Francisco last fall and was really impressed by the quality of his photographs. Anyway, I knew a documentary had been made and I was trying to see how I could see it when all of a sudden I stumbled across a link to imdb.com that was showing the full movie. What it here:

http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi1982310425/

Watch it quickly. I don't know how long it'll be up. I'm glad I got to know (at least through his photographs) George Tice. What a great photographer he is.

(I don't know if this is the right place to post movies about photography/photographers; if it isn't, please move it to the appropriate section.)

Bill_1856
11-Feb-2014, 22:23
Bravo! Thanks for posting.

Doug Howk
12-Feb-2014, 09:31
A very inspiring documentary. I have a few of his books, and am ordering more after watching the video twice so far.
Thanks for posting.

Amedeus
12-Feb-2014, 10:04
Inspiring indeed. Loved watching it and enjoyed every single minute of it.

Eric Biggerstaff
12-Feb-2014, 10:45
Thank you! What a great movie.

MIke Sherck
13-Feb-2014, 16:31
Thanks for the link; it was an interesting and informative film. I wish they made one of these for every photographer I admire!

Mike

John Conway
13-Feb-2014, 20:53
That was a wonderful documentary. I read about George Tice many years ago . The article I read was about his Paterson NJ photography. I didn't know about all the other work he did. He is a great artist .

Bill_1856
13-Feb-2014, 22:43
He is the natural successor to Walker Evans.

David Schaller
14-Feb-2014, 07:33
I watched it last night. Thanks for posting the link! Terrific film.
Dave

billie williams
14-Feb-2014, 09:27
That was great! And inspiring. Thanks for posting the link!

Jim Galli
14-Feb-2014, 10:28
Anyone who thinks they might ever be a photographer of any importance needs to watch this . . . and be humbled.

Noah B
14-Feb-2014, 10:42
Just watched this, it was terrific! I've been waiting to see this since I saw a trailer for it awhile back. I got interested in his work last fall, Paterson is one of my favorite books.

Alan Gales
14-Feb-2014, 12:01
Thank you so much for posting this, Mario.

When George Tice was featured in View Camera Magazine I was one of the people who posted on this forum that I didn't care much for his images in the magazine. I really wasn't knowledgeable about his work and didn't quite understand some of it.

After watching the movie I have a new respect for George Tice. I found so many of his images to be just outstanding.

austin granger
15-Feb-2014, 15:50
I was only vaguely familiar with Tice's work before watching this, but I am certainly an acolyte now. Wow! I hope everyone watches this moving, inspiring, and yes, humbling documentary.

I am so glad you posted this. Thank you.

r.e.
15-Feb-2014, 21:33
So:

Executive Producer: George Tice
Producer: Peter Bosco (who appears throughout the film as Tice's assistant)
Cameraman and Sound Recordist: Bruce Wodder

This film is so bad, both in terms of content and production values, that I'm surprised that Tice released it.

Tice, in interminably long interview sequences, appears to be bored with his own project, and doesn't seem to have anything to say of any substantive interest.

He was either unable, or couldn't be bothered, to get anyone of any significance in the photography world to appear in the film. Instead, we are treated to his meanderings about nothing, his kids, a former girlfriend, gallery owners who sell his work, the views of a friend who happens to be the producer, etc.

The editing and camera work are amateurish and deadly boring, and the sound recording is nothing short of atrocious.

I think that Tice deserves better than this, but given that he was the Executive Producer, it's hard to be sympathetic. He apparently inflicted this on himself. I just wish that I hadn't wasted 72 minutes watching it.

Bill_1856
15-Feb-2014, 22:10
I totally disagree. The only problem is that it's too short.

dsphotog
19-Feb-2014, 10:13
Very inspiring!

John Conway
19-Feb-2014, 17:43
Just watched it again. I just really like to watch and listen to the artists that make the images that I like . The way he told the story of the gas station shot , just driving up the garden state parkway on the way to his girlfriends house , looking at the scene , and finally making an image of it . It is very inspiring . It makes me , a regular guy , want to get out there and set up up my camera . It's a real story about a regular guy that worked hard to achieve his dream to be a photographer.My kind of film.

Michael Clark
19-Feb-2014, 22:31
I liked it, down to earth sort off prospective of Tice being Tice. Gives a peek look at his technique and philosophy of Photography.

Mike

Bob Mann
22-Feb-2014, 08:31
Thanks for the link - throughly enjoyed viewing it!