PDA

View Full Version : Esterly Speed-Mat Mat Cutter

jeroldharter
11-Feb-2014, 20:12
Anyone have experience with these mat cutters? They look ideal. I have emailed them for a quote but they are not too responsive yet. About how much do the manual models cost? I am currently using a basic Fletcher mat cutter so I think this would be a huge step up.

Drew Wiley
12-Feb-2014, 11:00
I've got one of these right at the top of my wish list. I had a very early model once. The basic models start around $3,500, depending on size and features, then
go up from there. These will greatly improve productivity and even save money in materials, on the long haul, from reduced mistakes. A wise investment.

Darin Boville
12-Feb-2014, 11:02
Did you buy the one in the other ad? I was tempted but the timing is not right...

--Darin

Drew Wiley
12-Feb-2014, 11:12
I've avoided deals on used ones - if it is something you can see in person first, you can assess the actual condition. These machines are well made and durable, but I know people who could damage a titanium ball. Unless it was something I could pick up locally, I'd far rather purchase something new. Which I intend to do.

jeroldharter
14-Feb-2014, 16:09
I have not purchased one yet. I have twice requested a quote from their website with no response.

Drew Wiley
14-Feb-2014, 17:00
Probably weather related. I deal with all kinds of companies that haven't even be able to answer their phones certain days lately. Esterly has a good reputation for
service.

jeroldharter
14-Feb-2014, 17:03
That's good to hear. Their mat cutter looks excellent.

Darin Boville
14-Feb-2014, 23:44
That's good to hear. Their mat cutter looks excellent.

I hear they are great, too.

If you get one will you cut all my mats for free????? :)

--Darin

jeroldharter
24-Feb-2014, 20:13
I bought one used. Pick it up Wednesday.

Darin Boville
24-Feb-2014, 22:46
Looking forward to hearing how you like it...

--Darin

Drew Wiley
25-Feb-2014, 09:51
There are quite a few in use in the Bay Area, Darin, including on the Peninsula. I will probably install one in the next few months on a big sliding panel. I've used em before.

Drew Wiley
25-Feb-2014, 10:40
Sorry for the gaps in my memory, but it is Bill Atherton down there somewhere in the Silicon Valley area who Esterly uses as an endorsement for their cutters. He's
otherwise pretty well known as one of the local gurus of digi printing innovations, along with Charlie Cramer down that way. On this side of the Bay, Joe Holmes uses a Speedmat too. I sold mine way back; but it was an early model anyway, and the new ones are much more versatile.

bill2424
25-Feb-2014, 16:30
I've owned one for maybe 15 years and it is one of the best pieces of equipment I have ever purchased. I can't tell you how much it has saved me in wasted museum board. I have never had a problem with it in all those years. I bought the 40"x60" model.

Bill

ROL
25-Feb-2014, 17:08
Any thoughts, or better yet experiences, on the Onyx 90 (http://framingsupplies.com/Onyx90/Onyx90WallMountedMediaCutter.htm)?

Darin Boville
25-Feb-2014, 17:15
Any thoughts, or better yet experiences, on the Onyx 90 (http://framingsupplies.com/Onyx90/Onyx90WallMountedMediaCutter.htm)?

That's just a media cutter, right? Not a mat cutter...

--Darin

Drew Wiley
26-Feb-2014, 10:24
That's just a board cutter, and Fletcher makes better ones anyone. I've got one that will do tempered glass, sheet glass up to 1/2" thick, fomeboards, plexi, all
kinds of stuff. But sizing down matboard per se seems to work better with an onboard sizing feature on a matcutter itself. Esterly generally comes with one unless
you deliberately choose their cheapest model.