PDA

View Full Version : First 8x10

jonesp
11-Feb-2014, 12:51
Looking to purchase my first 8x10 this spring and after looking at several used, I've found that Bender Photographic produces their own version (in kit form), new, at a competing price. Does anyone have any experience with their equipment? Here's a link: http://www.jaybender.com/BPH/8x10.htm

vinny
11-Feb-2014, 13:06
bender (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/search.php?searchid=2614241)

Oren Grad
11-Feb-2014, 13:11
You need to look elsewhere. As the top page on the website (http://www.jaybender.com/BPH/index.htm) says (emphasis added)...

This page is posted for friends and family so you can see the web site that used to be on the internet when I was manufacturing and selling Bender View Camera Kits throughout the world. For thirty years of my adult life, this is how I made my living. It was a great business, supported me well, and allowed me a lot of free time to pursue many other interests. But, as you may know, digital photography has indeed killed film, and film based cameras like this. I can not complain that I did not know the end would come. In 1977 I gave a talk at the Society for Photographic Education, introducing photography instructors to "pixels" and how digital images were formed. During that talk I predicted the demise of film and suggested that film based processes would be relegated to the art world only. While I was sad to see the business die, after 30 years I was certainly ready to do something else. I design homes for a living now, and enjoy that immensely. Have a look at the old Bender Photographic web site. This is only available as a way of telling the story of a company that does not exist any more. If you have found your way here via search engines or other old links, please understand that these cameras are no longer available (sorry).

C. D. Keth
11-Feb-2014, 13:29
You didn't want one anyway.

vinny
11-Feb-2014, 13:56
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/127162-national-view-8x10-camera-extension-betax-no-4-wollensak-shutter-holders.html

jonesp
11-Feb-2014, 14:15
WOW, thanks all. The link went straight to the kit and I didn't bother looking at other pages. My search will continue (thanks for the link Vinny).

You need to look elsewhere. As the top page on the website (http://www.jaybender.com/BPH/index.htm) says (emphasis added)...

This page is posted for friends and family so you can see the web site that used to be on the internet when I was manufacturing and selling Bender View Camera Kits throughout the world. For thirty years of my adult life, this is how I made my living. It was a great business, supported me well, and allowed me a lot of free time to pursue many other interests. But, as you may know, digital photography has indeed killed film, and film based cameras like this. I can not complain that I did not know the end would come. In 1977 I gave a talk at the Society for Photographic Education, introducing photography instructors to "pixels" and how digital images were formed. During that talk I predicted the demise of film and suggested that film based processes would be relegated to the art world only. While I was sad to see the business die, after 30 years I was certainly ready to do something else. I design homes for a living now, and enjoy that immensely. Have a look at the old Bender Photographic web site. This is only available as a way of telling the story of a company that does not exist any more. If you have found your way here via search engines or other old links, please understand that these cameras are no longer available (sorry).

Andrew Plume
11-Feb-2014, 14:38
Bender went belly up from memory

andrew

gleaf
11-Feb-2014, 15:30
I have managed to collect and extra Calumet C-1 (Black Monster 18 pound era). They make nice robust starter 8x10's. And there are many other options. Enjoy your search.

Alan Gales
11-Feb-2014, 16:36
I did this a couple years ago. On the cheap preowned side (of 8x10 that is) I found the Calumet C-1, Toyo monorail, and the old wooden tailboard cameras. Yousuf Karsh used a Calumet C-1.

On the more expensive preowned side, I found that nice Deardorffs were $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 and Kodak Masters were $2,000.00 or a little more. Of course price varies based on condition. I ended up finding a Wehman for $1,500.00 and have been very happy with it.

Of course if you really feel like spending some money you could buy that new $10,000.00 Ebony and cart it all around in your Porshe Cayenne. ;)

Jon Shiu
11-Feb-2014, 16:42
The 8x10 Bender Camera weighs under 6.5 lbs.

Jon

alavergh
11-Feb-2014, 19:03
I too saw the bender camera and was seriously considering getting one, but they do a really bad job or saying that they are closed. It literally has all the info still up to mail in nan order form. I would think they could do a better job of making that known.

John Kasaian
12-Feb-2014, 17:39
Beater Agfa/Anscos should still be found at reasonable prices. It was good enough for Ansel!
Are you already shooting LF? Some 4x5 gear will translate into 8x10, but not a lot of it will.
Loupe, light meter& cable release will, maybe some filters and maybe some lenses will but
that's not likely unless you were "thinking down the road" when you were shopping.

tgtaylor
12-Feb-2014, 18:59
Besides the camera, you will also need: Lens, film holders, suitable tripod, focusing cloth for 8x10, case to carry it around with you and a storage case and, of course, film. It's a rewarding format and if it works for you you'll be hooked like me.

Thomas