PDA

View Full Version : Red River Papers - thoughts?

Corran
11-Feb-2014, 09:25
Entering into the world of inkjet printing here at the university for an upcoming show...

Anyone use Red River Paper here? http://www.redrivercatalog.com/

A good friend told me they were very nice papers. They are super cheap - but they don't sell to retailers, just straight to the user, so that may be why.

I've been going back and forth the last couple of weeks trying to decide on a paper to use, and stick with it. I don't have time or the inclination to screw with a ton of different papers. Looking at simple matte surface papers only really - I like that "look" for wet prints. But not sold on that look for inkjet necessarily.

If you haven't tried RR, feel free to suggest good, affordable papers - I have also been looking at "Innova" papers.

Corran
11-Feb-2014, 10:03
It's not the different types of papers I'm struggling with so much as the myriad different brands.

Mark Stahlke
11-Feb-2014, 10:09
I wasn't impressed with Red River papers. I'm a fan of Moab papers, especially Entrada.

Preston
11-Feb-2014, 10:35
Bryan,

If it's an Epson printer take a look at Epson Velvet Fine Art. It has a nice matte surface. I've also printed B&W images (conversions from color films) on Epson Premium Luster and they look pretty nice.

-P

Corran
11-Feb-2014, 10:52
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I'm printing on Epsons. How is that Velvet paper with b&w Preston? I'm mostly going to be printing color (wet printing the b&w) but there are a couple b&w that I need to print with ink as well.

brian mcweeney
11-Feb-2014, 18:02
I use Red River paper Lustre for all my color printing on an Epson. No complaints, and I might add nice people at Red River.

Peter Gomena
11-Feb-2014, 18:36
I have not used the RR papers, but I'll second Preston's remarks about the Epson Velvet Fine Art. It looks really good with black-and-white. It's not cheap, but it's very heavy and luxurious.

bigdog
12-Feb-2014, 07:28
A good friend told me they were very nice papers. They are super cheap - but they don't sell to retailers, just straight to the user, so that may be why.

Not entirely true. Although they are located in Dallas, my wife uses Red River papers (in an Epson printer) but buys the paper at Competitive Camera, a Dallas dealer.

Corran
12-Feb-2014, 17:33
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to order a roll of Epson Velvet and one of Enhanced Matte and try those out.

Preston
13-Feb-2014, 08:02
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to order a roll of Epson Velvet and one of Enhanced Matte and try those out.

Bryan,

Just a thought, here, but you might consider buying some cut sheets and run some prints to see if you like the papers before you buy expensive roll paper.

--P

Corran
13-Feb-2014, 08:41
You are right, Preston, but if there's one thing I've learned from the film/darkroom experience, it's to give a particular film/paper a good run before deciding if there's "something better" out there. The general positive reviews and comments about this Epson stuff gives me confidence to spend $150 on it. Not to mention that working at a university has its perks - I will probably "split" a roll with a friend so my "real" cost will be less anyway, not much more than a pack of 17x22 and shipping.