PDA

View Full Version : Wide lens suggestions

gevalia
11-Feb-2014, 07:37
The widest I go with my 4x5 kit is 90mm and I have only ever had one reason to go wider. I'd like to add a wider lens to fill that need. Think Horseshoe Bend in AZ. Landscapes only. B&W only. Any low cost suggestions? Under $800, used is fine. Is it possible I can find one that doesn't require a center filter? Once I start looking at specs from 75, 72, 65, etc...my head just starts looking for the scotch.

Joe O'Hara
11-Feb-2014, 08:32
I've used a 75mm f/6.8 Grandagon (not the "N" version which is newer I think). Very small and sharp
but limited coverage for movements.

I've never felt the need for a center filter, but that's going to depend on your subject matter and
personal taste.

If you are using a field camera, beware of lenses shorter than 75mm. You may find the camera bed
in the image, depending on the details of the design. Check it out first.

Oren Grad
11-Feb-2014, 09:14
If you are using a field camera, beware of lenses shorter than 75mm. You may find the camera bed
in the image, depending on the details of the design. Check it out first.

Yes, and achieving enough bellows compression may be a problem, too. To the OP: what camera are you using?

If you have a camera that can accept very short lenses, your price point won't be a problem - these days there are many competent 65's and 75's available second-hand for well under $800, often under $400. If you need something in a hurry, KEH has plenty in stock.

gevalia
11-Feb-2014, 09:37
Yes, and achieving enough bellows compression may be a problem, too. To the OP: what camera are you using?

If you have a camera that can accept very short lenses, your price point won't be a problem - these days there are many competent 65's and 75's available second-hand for well under $800, often under $400. If you need something in a hurry, KEH has plenty in stock.

Chamonix 4x5 n2.

Ari
11-Feb-2014, 09:54
If you need lots of rise, the 72 kills them all.
If not, any of the 75 lenses will be quite sufficient.

I mention 75 because shorter lenses than 75 are quite far removed in look from the 90mm focal length; but maybe you want a more extreme viewpoint?

I like Rodenstock, Fuji and Nikon for used lenses, I think the older Schneiders should be purchased with more caution.
They had quality control issues that led to a lot of soft and problematic lenses being sold.

IanG
11-Feb-2014, 10:07
I use a 65mm f8 Super Angulon, with B&W landscapes I find no need for a centre filter, it's allowed me to make some great images. I also use a 75mm f8 SA mostly on my 617 camera as a standard lens and would buy a seconds to use for 5x4 if I found one at a good price.

The QC issues Ari refers too above was with earlier 90mm Angulon lenses and not the Super Angulons, and seems to have been an issue with the Compur shutter and cell spacing.

Ian

gevalia
11-Feb-2014, 10:21
I use a 65mm f8 Super Angulon, with B&W landscapes I find no need for a centre filter, it's allowed me to make some great images. I also use a 75mm f8 SA mostly on my 617 camera as a standard lens and would buy a seconds to use for 5x4 if I found one at a good price.

The QC issues Ari refers too above was with earlier 90mm Angulon lenses and not the Super Angulons, and seems to have been an issue with the Compur shutter and cell spacing.

Ian

ian,

Would you have any images using the 65 and 75 posted so I can get a gut feel?

Regards,,
ROn

IanG
11-Feb-2014, 11:07
ian,

Would you have any images using the 65 and 75 posted so I can get a gut feel?

Regards,,
ROn

I don't have particularly good quality images online, I'm part way trough re-scanning.

This is the 75mm lens though on 617

http://lostlabours.co.uk/portfolios/portfolio_images/aprodisas_04a.jpg

The 65mm on 5x4

http://www.lostlabours.co.uk/images/lydney.jpg

Ian

Lightbender
11-Feb-2014, 20:49
i (just recently) purchased a 65mm f4.5 grandagon. I did have a 65mm f8, but at those wide angles, the light fallof in the corners makes it very difficult to focus.
Super Angulon f5.6, Grandagon f4.5 , Nikkor SW f4, Fujinon f5.6. -Any of these can be had for under 800.
Dont skimp here. The extra light makes it so much easier. Expect to pay in the 300-400 range.

I have a 47mm also but really have no use for it on 4x5.

Doremus Scudder
12-Feb-2014, 10:28
... Think Horseshoe Bend in AZ.

75mm is almost too long for Horseshoe Bend. For $800 or so, you likely won't find one of the newer super-duper XLs, but you can find 65mm and 75mm lenses with adequate coverage for most landscape work for less.

FWIW, I have a 90mm and a 75mm. In 30+ years of LF work, I've only kicked my tripod once or twice and said, "damn, I wish I had a wider lens..."

Best,

Doremus

Corran
12-Feb-2014, 18:27
75mm is almost too long for Horseshoe Bend. For $800 or so, you likely won't find one of the newer super-duper XLs, but you can find 65mm and 75mm lenses with adequate coverage for most landscape work for less.

FWIW, I have a 90mm and a 75mm. In 30+ years of LF work, I've only kicked my tripod once or twice and said, "damn, I wish I had a wider lens..."

Best,

Doremus

I have seen 58mm XL lenses with CF selling for under $800 on eBay.

Lens alone, under $600. They've become ridiculously cheap. I think a lot of folks are going to the 47mm XL for ultra-ultrawide and skipping the 58mm XL altogether. I have both, was going to sell one, but they both are so nice and useful I decided not to.

On the cheaper side, I saw a nice 65mm f/5.6 SA sell for under $200 a couple of days ago!!

Professional
12-Feb-2014, 22:39
And that is why i bought SA 72mm XL, it has large IC of similar FLs in that range, it gives enough room for some movements, and with wide angle bellow it may be even greater movements slightly to the limits of the lens IC, in the past i was looking at many WA lenses such as 75mm, 65mm, 72,....etc, and at the end i found out that 72mm is the most suitable widest lens with adequate movements.