PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 linhof

brucep
11-Feb-2014, 07:27
Can anyone tell me what model this is and anything that I should look out for when buying one such as levers that are prone to be missing etc. All my current cameras are wooden field cameras and I know nothing about these "press style" cameras.

It has been offered to me with a linhof select 150mm Xenar (no lens board) a box of fp4 and a film holder. Does $800 sound about right, too much or "grab it quick"?

Thanks
Bruce

Bob Salomon
11-Feb-2014, 08:02
Technika II no parts or accessories have been made for it in decades. Buyer beware

DrTang
11-Feb-2014, 08:17
is it 5x7 or 13x18?

ie: will it take regular 5x7 holders?

brucep
11-Feb-2014, 08:25
is it 5x7 or 13x18?

ie: will it take regular 5x7 holders?

Yes it comes with 1 Fidelity film holder with the plastic tabs

Oren Grad
11-Feb-2014, 09:05
The 150 Xenar is an odd choice for 5x7 - it's intended for 4x5, is specified to cover 180mm at f/16 and infinity focus while 5x7 requires a minimum of around 210mm. Without testing it, I wouldn't assume that it will cover 5x7 with decent quality even if stopped down further.

brucep
11-Feb-2014, 09:42
The 150 Xenar is an odd choice for 5x7 - it's intended for 4x5, is specified to cover 180mm at f/16 and infinity focus while 5x7 requires a minimum of around 210mm. Without testing it, I wouldn't assume that it will cover 5x7 with decent quality even if stopped down further.

I would move the lens on. ..It isn't something that I want.

Bruce

DrTang
11-Feb-2014, 10:06
I would move the lens on. ..It isn't something that I want.

Bruce

unless you can get 250/300 for the lens.. that's just a bit steep for that camera

we've all seen them listed for 2500 on ebay..( I picked mine up from keh at a ridulous price)...but if you look around - you can find a tech 3 for about that

BUT.. despite there being no parts available - you could shoot the hell out of that camera

It's Linhof's fault for making them so bombproof..they last way past their repair parts availability

expect to pay 40 -80 for lensboards though

Leonard Robertson
11-Feb-2014, 11:25
That price strikes me as plenty high, but I'm not familiar enough with that vintage Linhof to tell you what a good price would be. You can search Sold listings on eBay to get an idea what the Xenar is worth. My guess is somewhere in the range of $150-200, but it will depend on age and condition of lens and shutter.

Look closely at the fit of the film holder in the back to make sure the "modern" 5X7 holder does work. Also there is a slight chance the plane of the ground glass and the film plane of the holder aren't the same. Maybe someone who knows early Linhofs can comment on that.

The main thing to check is the condition of the bellows. A small flashlight moved around inside the bellows in a darkened room is a must. If there are pinholes in the corners of the bellows it may be possible to patch them, but it may end up needing a new bellows. That may cost $300 or so (admittedly a wild guess).

Len

stormpetrel
11-Feb-2014, 11:48
I got my Technika III 5x7 with a nice boyer sapphir lens for $500 2 years ago....

stormpetrel
11-Feb-2014, 13:45
Just for info, a 5X7 Technika III was sold for $875 on APUG few days ago (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/127156-sale-linhof-technika-5x7-xenar-lens-australia.html) (210mm Xenar and linhof tripod included).

Roger Hesketh
1-Mar-2014, 19:52
Lens boards are not to much of a problem with this model. It is after all just a piece of 2mm thick aluminium with it's lower edge chamfered to fit under the retaining strip. I recently had 5 of these and 5 of the later 129mm sq 5x7 Technika boards cut for me for a tenner.

To one of the Technika II boards I have attached a Graflex adapter board which allows Pacemaker 4x5 boards to be used on Anniversary Speed Graphics. The Pacemaker board clips onto the adapter. By doing that I can use lenses mounted for use on my Crown Graphic on the Linhof. My camera is a Technika II like this one but a previous owner has removed the 5x7 back and replaced it with a 4x5 Graflex Graflok back.

I paid about £40 for mine perhaps 10 years ago.

DrTang
1-Mar-2014, 19:59
a previous owner has removed the 5x7 back and replaced it with a 4x5 Graflex Graflok back.

you carry around a 5x7 tech to shoot 4x5?

now that's dedication

Tin Can
1-Mar-2014, 20:32
I have one similar. Mine takes standard 5x7 holders, has excellent original bellows that have 21" extension. Weighs under 7 lbs. It has an adapter to use standard 4x5 Linhof lens boards. Easily holds a 210mm lens inside when folded. Has 3.original working levels. Geared front shift and rise, bed drop and the usual Linhof moveable back. The back also rotates.

Extremely well made, in excellent condition. I love it. It would be the last camera I would ever sell.

Roger Hesketh
1-Mar-2014, 20:44
you carry around a 5x7 tech to shoot 4x5?

now that's dedication

Sometimes, but I have a metabolic muscle disorder and can not walk far. So I do not do carrying. I use an off road mobility scooter to transport me and my gear when I go out. If I am taking a lot of gear I trail a small bicycle cargo trailer behind the scooter.

Because I am transporting rather than carrying I suppose I tend to take out things that one would have to think twice about if one were carrying. For instance I use a very heavy old Miller cine tripod that I would not even have considered carrying when I was fit. I'm not carrying it so why not. Besides sometimes beggars can't be choosers and the camera only cost me £40.

I have recently been making a series of reducing backs for a Thornton Pickard Whole Plate camera. I suspect that in the future that is the camera I will reach for most.

A 5x7 Technika used for 4x5 does have it's advantages though. I am not the only one to think so http://www.cameraquest.com/LF_linhof_technika_5x7.htm