PDA

View Full Version : Goerz anschutz shutter diagram

manx-eric
10-Feb-2014, 13:43
Hi folks, this is my first time here so I hope someone can help me. I have just bought a Goerz Anschutz folding strut camera to restore. It is the type where the shutter is set outside the camera so it's after 1905. Normal restoration work until removing the ground glass frame the shutter is completely rotted and turned to shreds. I do have experience remaking S/Graphic focal plane shutters but this is my first of these and the problem is that there is not enough curtain to take a pattern off. Has anyone got a diagram of the shutter run/track. I can work out the lengths etc if I can get a diagram of how it worked. I have searched the net with no luck. Thanks for looking. eric110223110223110223

andrewch59
5-Nov-2015, 03:22
Hi Manx-eric, are you still trying to find an example for measurements? I have recently purchased one with the shutter material in good shape. If necessary I will open it up and send you a coupe of pics?

manx-eric
6-Nov-2015, 02:13
Hi Manx-eric, are you still trying to find an example for measurements? I have recently purchased one with the shutter material in good shape. If necessary I will open it up and send you a coupe of pics?

Hi Andrew,
I must thank you for sending me that reply and offer, I waited so long without a reply I stopped bothering to check. I'm realyl sorry to have missed you. I still have the camera's but life has kind of got in the way, usual stuff, job, kids, mortgage, grandkids etc so now i'm retired and remembered the Goerz's.
Did you ever have a look yourself, or even still have the camera, if so any info would be very welcome.

thanks again for the original reply

eric

andrewch59
7-Nov-2015, 03:00
Hi Eric, yes I had the camera out today and in pieces. I am still trying to figure out how the shutter works. I think I am getting close. I will probably be able to give you a measured copy of the shutter early in the week, as I am out shooting building ruins tomorrow. Will contact you when I have it prepared.
Cheers

dahlen59
10-Dec-2015, 21:56
Hi I also have a problem with the shutter. The curtain do not run all the way when cocking the shutter.

dahlen59
12-Dec-2015, 00:09
Hi I also have a problem with the shutter. The curtain do not run all the way when cocking the shutter.
I attach a photo so you can see how it looks like.
My guess is when they changed the curtains the did not get the right match if the cogs (teeths) on the gearwheels but maybe it is simpler than that. On my camera the tension setting knob is loose so I canīt try to set the the tension. The tension is 0 (in the hole were you can see the various tensions).

andrewch59
12-Dec-2015, 17:07
I was trying to remove my shutter so I could make a diagram with measurements, but I cannot get the spring loaded rollers out without removing everything. These blinds are not an easy task, mine now has a twist in the blind?? Will try again in a few weeks when the impulse to throw it across the room passes

Tim Deming
12-Dec-2015, 22:30
I attach a photo so you can see how it looks like.
My guess is when they changed the curtains the did not get the right match if the cogs (teeths) on the gearwheels but maybe it is simpler than that. On my camera the tension setting knob is loose so I canīt try to set the the tension. The tension is 0 (in the hole were you can see the various tensions).

If you can remove a plate on the right side of the camera (according to your foto), and expose the gears, then you should be able to realign the gearing by loosening or removing a cog. I've found this is the easiest way to correct this problem.

I'd also mention that it's a good idea to clean and lube the rollers, and rest of the mechanism before trying to make adjustments

dahlen59
14-Dec-2015, 11:37
If you can remove a plate on the right side of the camera (according to your foto), and expose the gears, then you should be able to realign the gearing by loosening or removing a cog. I've found this is the easiest way to correct this problem.

I'd also mention that it's a good idea to clean and lube the rollers, and rest of the mechanism before trying to make adjustments

Thank you for your quick and very informative answer witch also is corresponding to my idea of the problem.
The tension knob is also loose from its metal pin. Thatīs another indication.
PS: Do you also have an explanation about the tension coupled to exposure time?
There is a hole were tension can be read. And on the time setting knob there is slow times very close to each other and on the other side of the knob there is (if i remember correct) 1/140 sek. So if tension 2 is it so easy that it is 140x2?
Regards
Mats :)

Ron (Netherlands)
21-Jan-2016, 11:34
The focal plane shutter of the Anschutz may differ from the one in the Deckrullo, but perhaps the pictures of the restoration might still be of help:
http://www.presscameras.org/deckrullo/deckrullo_repair.html