PDA

View Full Version : Kodak 2D 5x7 Backpack Help Needed

SLVRGLTN
10-Feb-2014, 11:26
I have a Kodak 2D 5x7 I need ideas on a backpack that can be used to hike with but also be able to carry on the plane for trips Worldwide it will carry the following:

Kodak 2D 5x7
Ext rail
Tripod sliding block
5-10 film holders at one time
3 to 5 lenses (depending on what subjects I'm after shooting)
but more like 3 lenses at one time...
dark cloth
filters
Loupe
Light meter

Plus pen(s) and notepad

Plus misc. items I need something comfortable for long hikes but don't need to break the bank on purchase...

I do have a ACU bag I used for many years that might work but I don't want to carry the camera in it or anything else without some type of protection...

Any ideas thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Brian

Bill_1856
10-Feb-2014, 13:23
Don't forget the most obnoxious accessory, in size AND weight -- the tripod. You don't need a backpack, you need a mule!

SLVRGLTN
10-Feb-2014, 13:42
Don't forget the most obnoxious accessory, in size AND weight -- the tripod. You don't need a backpack, you need a mule!

I have a Manfrotto 055XB w/3047 head I know I need a carbon tripod but I'm in no rush to buy one I look for one of those light weight pods once I get used to using my setup as it is now... a mule would be a great idea but I prefer a camel lol

Ray Van Nes
10-Feb-2014, 19:12
Hello. I have a 5x7 Seneca and I use an f/64 pack which works quite well. It is light enough to use a carbon fiber tripod. I have hiked round trip 10k and 500mm elevation gain with it.

Vaughn
10-Feb-2014, 20:34
Random thoughts:

I would suggest lightening and compacting the load by taking only two lenses that do not need the ext. rail so that you can leave that and the tripod sliding block home, keep the holders closer to 5 than ten, and don't forget a changing bag/tent. Or find a lighter 5x7!LOL!

Consider carrying an extra GG in a padded 5x7 film box.

Buy or make (out of closed cell foam) extra padding for the camera and lenses -- with protection against something pushing in and breaking the GG.

Size things so that the camera, lenses, film and film holders can fit in the pack and the pack can be carried on a plane (maybe the meter in the pack, too). Tripod, and other accessories can fit in the dufflebag/suitcase.

But a nice way to work with the 2D (I have a Eastman View #2 5x7) is to keep in on the pod and have the holders and meter in a shoulder bag (one lens). I keep the darkcloth over the camera and a stuff sack over the camera/darkcloth if it is wet or I just want extra protection for the camera. Nothing to set down on the ground to get left behind, stolen when you back is turned, or stepped on -- nice for working fast. Richard Misrach use to worked that way, only with 8x10.

Drew Bedo
11-Feb-2014, 14:14
I would start by looking at the PhotoBackpacker system of storage/protective boxes. They can be packed into any back pack or bAG. I love mine, check it out.

http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.php

ScottPhotoCo
11-Feb-2014, 15:24
After finding the prices of photo bags prohibitively expensive I started looking for options. I wanted durability, flexibility and anonymity so people wouldn't know that I was carrying expensive gear in my bag. I found this bag on Amazon and it has been fantastic. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HTUVOE/ref=wms_ohs_product_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ScottPhotoCo
11-Feb-2014, 15:26
A few more pictures:

ScottPhotoCo
11-Feb-2014, 15:27
I have to add that I purchased the Photobackpacker for my 8x10 and it works exactly as described.

SLVRGLTN
11-Feb-2014, 18:18
That's exactly what I need it's perfect amazon has the same bag but different name what did you pay for yours? Thanks again also where can I find wrap big enough to protect my camera? Size needed???

I do have a Kodak 8x10 as well and will go the photo backpacker route once I'm ready to shoot with it...

ScottPhotoCo
11-Feb-2014, 19:03
If I remember correctly, around $80. I bought the wrap at Freestyle Photo here in LA.

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Drew Bedo
19-Feb-2014, 13:43
In the early 1990s we took a trip out west for our 20th anniversary. I had just gotten into LF with a Speed Graphic and make-do was my main strategy. A back pack was needed but buying ANYTHING was not an option. I got out a Jan-Sport book bag type day pack and laid the gear into it to see what I could take. Had to do some editing! Then took a closed cell foam sleeping pad and cut it into maybe 6-8 pieces all the same shape of the bag. Then each piece had windows cut into it for the gear. The cut pieces were stacked and hot glued together and stuffed into the book bag. It was a solid and well padded set up. I could have dropped it from a 3rd story window.

Pack and foam can often be found in a thrift store for a few bucks.

Twenty years later, I am deaf, blind and lame so I only take my gear out on a set of heavy duty luggage wheels or a golfbag cart.

Vaughn
19-Feb-2014, 16:22
Just an example of taking a travel pack and turning it into a camera pack (8x10). Five holders go in the detachable daypack.

tgtaylor
19-Feb-2014, 16:34
A Lowprto 400AW might work. I've read where it is allowed onboard as a carry along.

Thomas

tgtaylor
19-Feb-2014, 19:27
Now that I thought about it, the LowePro 400AW will work for 5x7. The film holders will slip into the front pocket (get a case to keep them nice), the tripod on the side, and the rest of the gear (photograpy that is) inside.

Thomas