PDA

View Full Version : Digital Negative for Silver Gelatin Prints: New Method

Michael Rosenberg
9-Feb-2014, 18:53
I have posted on my web site a monograph detailing my method for making digital negatives for silver gelatin prints. This is an adaptation of Ron Reeders method of making QTR profiles. In the monograph I describe how to make single curve ink profiles that yield a linear curve corresponding to monitor %K values. I also describe how to make black adjustment curves, correction curves, and combination adjustment and correction curves. These profiles result in darkroom prints indistinguishable from traditional projection negative prints, and exhibit fine grain and smooth tonality transitions. The monograph is in the form of a PDF that can be downloaded and saved.

I am unable to post the profiles, curves, and grayscale target, for download on my website (due to the host restrictions on files), but will e-mail them to any interested. The grayscale target incorporates additional gray steps for those interested in using Ralph Lambrechts or Huntington Witherill's spreadsheets to make correction curves, as well as Zone System scale for visual calibration.

The ink profiles that I describe may also be of interest to people using alternative processes.

My web site: www.mprosenberg.com

I have also posted this announcement on DPUG.

Regards,

vinny
9-Feb-2014, 19:57
I am interested in this method because I have plenty of negs with defects/dust that I would like to print on silver paper.

sanking
11-Feb-2014, 07:30
Some months ago Mike shared his single gray value of profiling with me and I quickly adapted it for my digital negatives intended for carbon transfer, and with Mike's permission, made the method and some sample profiles available on the Yahoo carbon transfer site in the files section. The one gray value method is remarkably simple and makes results much more predictable with digital negatives than methods that use two and three gray values.

Sandy