PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean frosted side of ground glass?

Mark Schumann
6-Feb-1998, 17:09
What is the best technique to clean the frosted side of a ground glass? I'm talk ing about when blowing the dirt off doesn't work. Can you wash them under hot wa ter and soap and rinse off really well. Or should you rinse with alcohol.

Ted Brownlee`
6-Feb-1998, 23:20
After removing the ground glass from the frame, soapy water can be used to clean it. If there is a fresnel lens sandwiched with the ground glass, separate them first. The fresnel can also be cleaned with soapy water, although you need to be careful. The acrylic that it's made from scratches very easily. When you reasse mble, ensure that the fresnel is on the correct side of the ground glass

Peter Hughes
9-Feb-1998, 14:24
I find that good ol' Windex (or a weak solution of PLAIN ammonia & water) works fine, evaporating without a trace.

Ron (Netherlands)
16-Jan-2016, 03:43
What is the best technique to clean the frosted side of a ground glass? I'm talk ing about when blowing the dirt off doesn't work. Can you wash them under hot wa ter and soap and rinse off really well. Or should you rinse with alcohol.

I have good experience with using Muscle Steel Fix by Johnson (kitchen cleaner). Its very nice and easy for taking away any old markings (many times made with pencils) on the frosted side of the glass. It also cleans the glass and makes the frosted site bright again.

(came across this very old post and thought it might be of help)

daniellewallace
16-Jan-2016, 04:10
I find that good ol' Windex
http://hautavis.net/125/o.png

uphereinmytree
16-Jan-2016, 04:43
usually hot soapy water is fine, alcohol works just as well. I have had some GG that had stubborn stains and I used a tiny bit of comet rubbed in to the ground surface to make it new. just don't get the scouring powder on the smooth side as it will add fine scratches easily.

mdarnton
16-Jan-2016, 07:16
I use dishwashing soap and lots of water for both the glass and fresnel. The trick on fresnels, which I learned cleaning 35mm, screens is not to dry with anything that touches, but rather to use an air hose to blow off all of the water, carefully blasting it out of the grooves. Anything you touch it with will leave some sort of residue, if only dust. So I clean all my focusing screens at work now.

Also, I learned cleaning glasses, paper towels have something in them, I don't know what, perhaps a sizing, that's water soluble and leaves a scum on lenses, so no more paper towels on anything I have to see through. Unlike what people believe, they won't scratch glass, but they do leave crud, so they're out. Now I change the hand towels in my kitchen more often and use those for drying my glasses.

Roger Thoms
16-Jan-2016, 09:50
On a plain ground glass I use Bon Ami cleanser and warm water. On gridded I'd be very cautious. I completely removed the grid on a Burke & James ground glass with water and Bon Ami. The ground glass was very dirty so I didn't have much to lose. I also know from shooting in the rain that the grid on my Sinar ground glass comes right off with water. Fortunately that was just a few drops so grid is still very usable.

Roger

Tin Can
16-Jan-2016, 10:16
Perhaps worth mentioning.

Many old cameras, no matter how shiny looking have very dirty GG.

Clean those old GG and you will be amazed.