PDA

View Full Version : HC110 + Kodak TMax 100 processing question

ScottPhotoCo
8-Feb-2014, 18:06
Just realized that I am out of my usual Tmax developer and I need to process film tonight. I do have a new bottle of HC110 sitting here but I've never processed with it before. Can anyone recommend something that worked well for you using HC110 and Tmax? I will be processing in a Patterson tank 6 sheets at a time. I'll look up the combo on the Massive Dev chart but I'd love to hear what has worked best for you.

Film exposed at box speed with no pushing/pulling required.

Thanks!

Mark Barendt
8-Feb-2014, 19:01
When in doubt, and even when not, I tend to follow the instructions from the manufacture.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j24/j24.pdf

VictoriaPerelet
9-Feb-2014, 03:24
Tim, years ago I settled on HC110 as only developer for scanning. I usually use TMAX 400 and develop in Jobo at med rotation (or hand roll jobo tank on rollers when need to develop on location) Dil E for 8 mins. I like negs to be flat. Jobo agitation is pretty aggressive .... I think Kodak sheet specs out longer time, but to me neg becomes way too contrasty.

here's comparison with XTOL I did awhile ago:

http://victoriasphoto.com/Notes/Jobo_XTOL_dil_HC100/

Agitation in Patterson is much less aggressive, I'd start with 12mins for dil E.

YMMV

ScottPhotoCo
10-Feb-2014, 00:28
Tim, years ago I settled on HC110 as only developer for scanning. I usually use TMAX 400 and develop in Jobo at med rotation (or hand roll jobo tank on rollers when need to develop on location) Dil E for 8 mins. I like negs to be flat. Jobo agitation is pretty aggressive .... I think Kodak sheet specs out longer time, but to me neg becomes way too contrasty.

here's comparison with XTOL I did awhile ago:

http://victoriasphoto.com/Notes/Jobo_XTOL_dil_HC100/

Agitation in Patterson is much less aggressive, I'd start with 12mins for dil E.

YMMV

Thank you Victoria! Much appreciated. :)

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

natelfo
11-Feb-2014, 15:00
Tim, I develop T-Max 100 (at ASA 100) in HC-110 dilution H (1:64) by rotary processing in a Jobo tank, which you can do by hand on rollers, or with a motor base. I develop for 11:00 at 70 deg. F, add 30 seconds for every degree under, subtract 30 for every degree over. I made a quick hand roller base by screwing four roller casters to a block of wood. If you are not used to rotary developing, just make sure to keep it moving, do not stop! Switch directions about every third rotation. Each rotation should take a little under 2 seconds. Works great, lasts long time.

ScottPhotoCo
11-Feb-2014, 15:37
Tim, I develop T-Max 100 (at ASA 100) in HC-110 dilution H (1:64) by rotary processing in a Jobo tank, which you can do by hand on rollers, or with a motor base. I develop for 11:00 at 70 deg. F, add 30 seconds for every degree under, subtract 30 for every degree over. I made a quick hand roller base by screwing four roller casters to a block of wood. If you are not used to rotary developing, just make sure to keep it moving, do not stop! Switch directions about every third rotation. Each rotation should take a little under 2 seconds. Works great, lasts long time.

Thank you kindly. I need to do some experimenting. I chickened out on the HC-110 this round and used XTOL just to be safe. I'll do some testing with what both you and Victoria recommended.

Thanks again.

Ari
11-Feb-2014, 15:49
Tim, I have used TMax 100 a few times with HC-110.
Dilution H (1:63), 10 minutes at 21˚C (70F) in a rotary drum.
IIRC, I would expose it at ISO 64.

bill2424
12-Feb-2014, 08:34
I've been processing Tmax100 in HC110 in a tray Dilution B 68 degrees for 9.5 min. normal development