PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Norma 5x7 back on Rittreck View?

HeinrichVoelkel
8-Feb-2014, 04:56
I did read it somewhere here before, but I would like to see a picture or two of this combo? Anybody tried it or is using this combination.

Regards
Heinrich

John Schneider
11-Feb-2014, 09:13
I never heard of this combination; 5x7 backs for Rittrecks seem about as common as the camera. What are exceedingly rare are 5x7 backs for the Toyo metal field "5x7" (if memory serves me, actually marked Toyo Sakai Special 4 3/4 x 61/2). I have seen several modified backs for this camera, which is almost always found with just the 4x5 back. I've seen hack jobs with wooden 5x7 backs and some nicer metal back adaptions (I even made one using a 5x7 Plaubel back, which involved a decent bit of machining but came out well and even more compact than the original 5x7 back).

HeinrichVoelkel
11-Feb-2014, 18:07
hey jackpie, why did you delete it, I was reading it this moment

jackpie
11-Feb-2014, 18:12
The Sinar back does fit but there are a couple of issues:

The back is held on by the Norma spring catches which lock behind the metal frame of the opening in the back of the Rittreck and into the first fold of the bellows. This may cause some wear to the bellows.

The light trap ridges mate loosely so although they are interlocked there is some play and the back can be moved around a few mm. That said the back is held firmly by the catches. The light traps could be improved by glueing on felt strips.

I haven't used my Rittreck with this Norma back because I have an original 5x7 Rittreck back. But I see no reason why it wouldn't work ok.

jackpie
11-Feb-2014, 18:17
hey jackpie, why did you delete it, I was reading it this moment

I was having trouble with uploading some photos. I can't get them to appear in the correct orientation. Oh well, do you get the idea?

HeinrichVoelkel
13-Feb-2014, 15:04
Thank you so much for the info Jackpie.

Ozzz
31-Mar-2017, 04:21
This thread was a while back but may I ask a further question about compatibility between Rittreck and Sinar - I'm actually a Sinar 5x7 user and have been offered a Rittreck style back plate that have the graflok mechanism - a crucial thing to use 617 roll film holder mounted on 5x7 plate. May I just ask what are the measurements for the Rittreck back plate that connects to the camera (i.e. length and thickness the plate in the third picture to your post?) Thanks much Jackpie

jackpie
1-Apr-2017, 05:45
Hi Ozzz, if your intention is to fit a Rittreck back to a Sinar 5x7 it isn't going to work. The back plate in pic 3 is the back of the Rittreck camera alongside the Sinar back. I have a Sinar Norma 5x7 and a Rittreck. The Sinar back will fit on the Rittreck but a Rittreck back doesn't fit on a Sinar! It's larger than than the Sinar. The Sinar back fits the Rittreck by fitting inside the light trap on the camera back. The Rittreck removable back is 221mm x 221mm x 3mm.

Ozzz
1-Apr-2017, 18:15
Thanks for the useful advice!