PDA

View Full Version : Glass Plates & Holders

Rickmartinsphoto
3-Feb-2014, 02:45
Hi everyone,
I'm considering using 4x5 glass plates with my Linhof TK and have a couple of questions:
Are wood holders going to ruin the camera's springs?
Has anybody ever tried to modify a modern pastic holder to work with glass?
If yes, how?
Thanks for the feedback!

Jim Andrada
3-Feb-2014, 05:53
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?29596-Converting-film-holders-for-glass-negatives

imagedowser
3-Feb-2014, 10:13
You will also find information in Alt Photo Process by Chris James. Chapter 22 written by Mark Osterman for collodion, calotype and dryplate.

imagedowser
3-Feb-2014, 10:15
Sorry, that's Second Edition of Alternative Photographic Process...

c.d.ewen
3-Feb-2014, 15:58
The photos below are of a common film holder and a plate/film holder. The plate/film holder has a spring loaded pressure plate to push the glass plate or the film forward, towards the lens. Note the auswerfer on the side of the plate holder; it's a lever used to eject the plate (or film) out of the bottom of the holder.

Betcha ya can use it in a Linhof. :)

Charley

ps: I got these many years ago on eBay, and they were quite scarce then. I haven't looked lately, but I'd bet they've gotten even scarcer. Only the Linhofs with the arrow on the front have the auswerfer.

c.d.ewen
3-Feb-2014, 16:07
Note the auswerfer on the side of the plate holder; it's a lever used to eject the plate (or film) out of the bottom of the holder.

Yeah, I can illustrate that. That is a glass plate in the holder.

Charley

Rickmartinsphoto
4-Feb-2014, 13:37
So far i've learned that film holders can be modified, and that glass plate holders are "fatter" than film.
The distance between the emulsion and the lens must be the same as that between the groundglass and lens, which means that modifying film holders will be a pain.
Ergo, glass holders it is.
Anybody knows what will become of the technikandan's springs? I'm worried they'll become fatigued...
A big "thank you guys" to all of ya!