PDA

View Full Version : Super-Angulon 47 XL on Tech V ?

Paul Schilliger
1-Aug-1999, 13:27
Although Linhof does not consider this to be adequate, I wonder if a 47mm S-Angu lon XL could be used on my Super Technika V 4x5", with some difficulties for foc ussing, but with adequate shift possibilities. Any experience ?

Bob Salomon
2-Aug-1999, 11:51
The 356mm, 45mm and 47mm lenses will not focus to infinity on a Technika other than the Master Technika 2000.

Is infinity focus important for your needs?

Paul Schilliger
2-Aug-1999, 13:08
Thanks Bob, Yes, infinity is important. My primary intent for this lens is landscapes on 6x9 and 6x12 rollfilms. Though I have measured the minimum space between the lensboard and the groundglass and it is far less than the focal distance given for this lens. In your answer (45-47mm lenses not suited for infinity) have you taken into account the special lensboard with bellows and focussing screw designed for short focal lenses ? I was going to set it aside and use a normal l ensboard, focussing by pulling the chariot on the rails (this is awkward but I have done it with a 65mm lens).Should it work? Than k you for your advice. Regards

Paul

Bob Salomon
3-Aug-1999, 08:04
You will never focus continuously and accurately by pulling and pushing the bellows. Critical focus is too critical for movements that crude. that is why the focusing is done by geared mechanisms capable of small precise adjusments.

You will also have an almost impossible time trying to get the drop bed out of the picture. Especially vertically.

Paul Schilliger
3-Aug-1999, 18:24
Bob,

You are right! This would be a lame couple. Never mind the wide landscapes! Thanks for your advice!

Paul Schilliger
22-Aug-1999, 18:39
Well, after lots of hesitating, I purchased this Super-Angulon 47 XL with it's c enter filter. I went for a trip in the Alps and was pleased to see the results on 6x9 and 6x12 films. Although the focusing is awkward, the slides are perfectly sharp. I used the pulling back of the Technika to achieve p erspective control. In 6x12, the stretching of any object in the area beyond the 6x9 format is quite unbearable, not to speak of wh at it would be in the corners of a 4x5"! The light fall on the fresnel is drastic! I hardly see anything beyond a 9x9cm sqare from the center. Nevertheless, I am very satisfied with this lens. It makes very dynamic 6x9 or 6x12, where foreground and sky are invol ved. Perhaps even 4x5's with subjects that can bear lots of stretching. I would'nt recommend it for architecture on it's full c overage. A square becomes rapidly twice as wide. Unless, as someone suggested, one would look at the picture at a distance that m ay reproduce the angle of the taking. Another hindrance (not to speak of the price!) are the two f stops needed for th e center filter. I found myself with pauses of a second in the sunshine! This makes it hard to catch vegetation in the foreground in the almost always windy conditions of a light changing day!