PDA

View Full Version : Robert Langham @ Hubbell Trading Post AIR in April.

Robert Langham
2-Feb-2014, 14:22
Just got the news that I got the April 14-28 slot at Hubbell. Early enough that there won't be a huge tourist crowd but late enough that it won't be icy. Very exciting. Very close to Canyon de Chelly, one of my favorite places! You stay in a big stone room loosely shaped like a hogan right at the Hubbell family residence.

Wall stripes at Canyon de Chelly.

Robert Langham
15-Feb-2014, 16:59
A very busy time before this but prepping away. Thank goodness for used books on Amazon.com and for terrain maps on google and elsewhere. The backup research I am doing ought to be worth about 9 credit hours!

http://robertlangham.blogspot.com/ Keeping up with it on my blog.

Robert Langham
15-Feb-2014, 18:12
One thing I did was get on Vistaprint and crank up 500 Artist in Residence cards. I bet I can pass out 500 in two weeks, though I may be giving them to sheep at the end.

Nathan Potter
15-Feb-2014, 20:46
Congrats my fellow Texan. This ought to be an interesting experience. 9 credit hours should equip you with an intimate background of the area and the Post. Good luck. So what's your camera gear for the excursion?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Kirk Gittings
15-Feb-2014, 20:49
Love that place but........just curious. I have been there a few times. There must be more to shoot there than I remember? Two weeks?

Robert Langham
16-Feb-2014, 07:00
Nathan: taking my 5X7 and 8X10 Deardorffs. Probably put Nikon digital in to do a little work for the site and staff. iphone for notes, blogging and facebooking. Toying with the idea of doing a little processing on site

Kirk: Yeah- just a few buildings, (though I'm sure I could stay busy making still lifes of junk.) There's little bit of interesting landscape up and down the wash. Might find something if they give me access to the collections and artifacts. The real prize is being just down the road from Canyon de Chelly. It's like being in the Louvre- a masterpiece around every corner. (35 bucks an hour for a guide. Antelope House tours is going to get rich.) I've got a couple of portfolios going out of there and can really hammer away. Never been to Three Turkey. Most of the AIRs travel around- one guy was as far north as Shiprock and as far South as Petrified Forest. I plan to stay pretty close.

I do have an idea for an epic shoot on the site, just depends on the staff and locals and logistics.

Kirk, If I need anything, don't think I'm not calling YOU!

iphone note of the kitchen stovepipe, Hubbell Family residence.

Robert Langham
16-Feb-2014, 07:05
But, oh, how I love CdC. Let me count the ways...

Road, Canyon del Muerto, 2012.

Might be early Spring in the canyon. Blooming trees.

Nathan Potter
16-Feb-2014, 11:23
Wonderful mood in that shot Robert. Love it.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Robert Langham
18-Feb-2014, 06:26
Can I get one of our moderators to bounce this thread down to Location and Travel? Probably will fit better down there.