PDA

View Full Version : Wash for Film & Prints How long to use water with shortage???

smithdoor
2-Feb-2014, 11:23
Wash for Film & Prints
How long to use water in washing your film and paper with shortage of water today
Poll

Pawlowski6132
2-Feb-2014, 11:42
Wash for Film & Prints
How long to use water in washing your film and paper with shortage of water today
Poll

Is there a shortage of water in California????

Why?

ROL
2-Feb-2014, 11:52
Film and paper require different washing times and regimes because of their fundamental differences in base materials, acetates and polyesters vs. fiber and resins.

ROL
2-Feb-2014, 11:55

Why?

In my best McEnroe "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!" There's always a water shortage in California, even when there isn't.

smithdoor
2-Feb-2014, 12:23
Hard to see, ever uses water here for grass and plant it just the lakes that are dry or almost dry
If live in LA they just pump the rest of the state dry. There is no rain or ever snow here just sun shine. Water ration in CA not yet.
I was using for house and yard 3,000 gal per month now cutting back to help state

Dave

Why?

smithdoor
2-Feb-2014, 12:31
I would have to put two polls one for paper and one for film
So I just did one poll

Dave

Film and paper require different washing times and regimes because of their fundamental differences in base materials, acetates and polyesters vs. fiber and resins.

Pawlowski6132
2-Feb-2014, 12:46
In my best McEnroe "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!" There's always a water shortage in California, even when there isn't.

I live in Michigan. How would I know?

Drew Wiley
4-Feb-2014, 17:02
California gets some of the deepest snows on earth. And if, even in those abundant water years, we figure out how to waste it all and not save up any for a drought. And the longest drought on record (official weather records, not tree rings) is now upon us. Our dams were built for both flood control and agricultural water storage,
and further up the rivers, for hydroelectric power generation. I lived right in that area of the world - the most intensively dammed river on earth, the San Joaquin,
and my father was one of the inspectors at the beginning of that vast project in its Federal sense (not private energy dev, which came earlier). Still, parts of that
canyon are quite remote and rarely visited. After all, the San Joaquin canyon is twice at deep as the Grand Canyon in places. But stored water and a full lakes have habitually been used as an excuse to make everyone happy, esp developers who like to pave over everything except for their own golf courses, and for ag
interests that like to spread way outside the reasonable boundaries into what is virtually desert. ... won't go into all the details. Read a classic like Cadillac Desert
or Land of Little Rain. Of course, Calif is not unique in wasting water, but on the average year water is paperwork allocated 800% over actual reservoir capacity!
So in a serious drought year like the last one, or probably the upcoming one .... there are going to be folks who have to figure out somewhere else to bathe or
even flush the toilet. Worse, I expect dust storms and an epidemic level of valley fever in parts of the San Joaquin Valley. It's spread by blowing dust.