PDA

View Full Version : Which focal length for Large Format Enlarger

Mpunktmayer
1-Feb-2014, 04:44
I have a question as inexperienced and hope to get help here:

I am looking for a Enlarger lens for large format photography. I have found out that probably 150mm are common.
Unfortunately, there is nearly no 150mm lenses with M39 connector available.

Hence the question: Can i also use a 135mm lenses or are there any disadvantages.

Leigh
1-Feb-2014, 07:29
The "normal" enlarging lens is the same focal length as the "normal" taking lens for any format.

A 135mm lens will work fine, as a slight wide-angle, provided it covers the 4x5 negative.

- Leigh

Bob Salomon
1-Feb-2014, 07:58
You can use either a 120mm WA or a 135mm. Both of these from Rodenstock fully cover 45 and both have a 39mm lens mount. Between a 120mm Rodagon-WA, a 135mm Rodagon and the 150mm Rodagon the 120 is the best performer for prints a normal magnifications.

Of the three only the 135mm is currently manufactured.

Stephen Willard
1-Feb-2014, 16:49
The bigger the enlarger lens the less problems you will have with light falling toward the edges. 150mm will be noticeable better than smaller ones the moment you start going big because there will be less light fall off. Do not skimp on an enlarger lens because enlarging is where most of the image degradation occurs. A high quality lens like the EL-Nikkor 150mm lens will enlarge much better than most other lenses. Make sure you get the newer version of those lenses.

You should also be aware that 50% of the used enlarger lenses will not produce a sharp image because enlarger lenses get dropped a lot. Small enlargements will look okay, but the minute you go big then it becomes real noticeable. I recommend whether you buy a new or used one you should test it. A quick test is to setup your enlarger with a negative in it to make a 16x20 and then use a 10x grain focuser to examine the grain at the edges of the 20" dimension. If you cannot bring the grain into sharp focus and the image under the grain focuser does not look crisp then you have a defective lens. If you have access to a known good enlarger lens then you will be able to see the difference very quickly when you do a side by side comparison.

You can also use this test to do a quick check to see if your enlarger is properly aligned. Raise you enlarger to it highest point and grain focus on one side. Lock the focus into place and then check the opposite side. If the grain on the other side of the enlargement is out of focus then the your enlarger is not properly aligned. Check the grain both right to left and front to back. All grain on all sides should be sharp and crisp.

Hope his helps....

jose angel
3-Feb-2014, 01:45
I second Stephen`s recommendation about buying the best lens, it will outlast you, but they are probably too pricey. BTW... to check the extreme corners I think a -very good- focusing loupe is needed... not so common these days (=$$$).

And let`s be realistic... many times we don`t enlarge "too large". So I wonder how good process lenses are for small enlargements (2-3x). There are many cheap L39 lenses in 150mm, but with apertures of f9.
I have some of them that I haven`t used for decades, simply because I enjoy the best Rodagons... but I`d bet they work quite good. If you like I think I can check at least an APO-Geronar (I think) and a G-Claron in 150mm. I think I also have a Gerogon (?) and an APO-Ronar. One of the Rodenstocks is a WA version, if I`m not wrong. All very cheap secondhand.

Anyway, if you are so sure about your interest in traditional printing, I`d spend on a good enlarging lens. Could I ask why do you want it on L39 mount?

Drew Wiley
3-Feb-2014, 11:12
I prefer a 180 or longer focal length for 4x5 format, but once owned a 135 Rodagon which was a fine lens, but with a little more falloff than I generally liked for color printing, though it is easy enough to burn in your corners a little more when black and white printing. My 150 is a Apo Rodagon N - a wonderful lens but pricey. Some
process lenses work superbly for enlarging, but have smaller usable apertures, so it just depends. G-Claron taking lenses actually work OK (better than many older
enlarging lenses), but again, will be a bit dim to focus if you have a weak light source. I'd rather use a 180 G-Claron, which I have in fact tested. I have no
experience with G-Claron process lenses, only with ordinary view camera G-Clarons. My favorite process lenses for enlarging are Apo Nikkors, but I don't know if they
ever came in shorter focal lengths. I only use them for 8x10 printing.

Drew Wiley
3-Feb-2014, 11:14
Ooops typo... There never was a 180 G-Claron. I meant to say, 140 Fujinon A, which is very similar to the G-Claron design, but multicoated, and a lens owned by
many large format photographers anyway.

Drew Wiley
3-Feb-2014, 11:15
Typo again... drat these rheumatic fingers (weather change today)... 180 Fujinon A, not 140, obviously (funny I didn't spell that, obliviously).

ac12
3-Feb-2014, 11:59
Why the 39mm mount restriction?
With most LF enlargers (like Durst and Omega) you can get lens boards that will handle the larger lens mounts; 42mm, 50mm, 53mm, etc.
Then you are not artificially limiting yourself.

In my case I got a 135mm lens for 4x5 because of headroom. I do not have an XL chassis to lift the head far enough off the baseboard to use the 150 for large prints, plus I would hit the floor joists anyway (low ceiling height). If you have the headroom and an XL chassis, I would go with the 150mm lens, then get the matching lens board.

Larry Gebhardt
3-Feb-2014, 13:36
The newest versions of the Nikon 150 and 135mm lenses support both M39 and 50mm lens boards. Both are excellent.

Mpunktmayer
4-Feb-2014, 01:19
The answer is simple: I sold an LPL7450 as an Large Format Enlarger. After selling the Buyer was unhappy because there was a 50mm lense mounted.
This lense is not for Large Format Enlarging and thats why I have to buy a 135/150mm lense for him. This is also the reason why I look for an cheap solution and why I'm fixded on M39.
I also looked for an M50 Lense Board but the price of 60 EUR is naughty for a piece of metal

Michael S
4-Feb-2014, 08:37
The 240mm Nikkor works well with 8"x10" negatives, but I also use it when enlarging 4"x5" negs so that I can work within the "sweet spot" of the lens. If I have to make a bigger print, say 20"x24", I utilize the 180mm Rodenstock (which is a very sharp lens).