PDA

View Full Version : Phillips Explorer Back Question

nm39131
31-Jan-2014, 11:32
Hi, was the Explorer 8x10 ever made with a rotating back? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen something tempting.

Thanks!

dap
31-Jan-2014, 11:35
As far as I know the explorer never came with a rotating back. The compact was the model with the rotating back.

Tri Tran
31-Jan-2014, 13:49
The Explorer doesn't come with the rotary back. Dick designed this particular model dedicated for landscape field camera . However you can flip the camera side way if you want the portrait shot. It's super light weight is under 6lbs. Or just use it as handheld point and shoot LF as I did a few hyperfocal shot in Halong Bay, Vietnam.

Drew Wiley
31-Jan-2014, 14:05
The correct term is "reversible" back. A rotating back is something else and fairly uncommon - think the last one of those I saw was on an old 4X5/5X7 'Dorff "Special". But Dick Phillips designed that particular model as "horizontal only" to keep the wt way way down. Shooting vertical with one would certainly be clumsy.
I suppose it could be modified.

Oren Grad
31-Jan-2014, 14:06
No, it wasn't. The eBay lot you're looking at is mis-identified. I'd guess it's an early Compact II.

nm39131
1-Feb-2014, 10:28
Many thanks for the answers. Is there any reason to shy away from an early Compact II model versus a later one?

Oren Grad
1-Feb-2014, 10:51
Many thanks for the answers. Is there any reason to shy away from an early Compact II model versus a later one?

Not if it's in good condition.

Taking a close look at the pictures in that listing, the front standard seems to have a somewhat more complex construction than you see in Dick's other cameras, including later production of the Compact II. I wonder whether it was an experiment he tried in just a few cameras. From the looks of it I wonder whether it may allow control of tilt independently from rise - in most of Dick's cameras they're secured by the same knob. Don't count on it, though - I'm guessing here.

Also, as noted in the description, this camera is equipped with a lensboard reducing adapter to accept Canham (and possibly Toyo field) lens boards. You should be able to pop that out and use Sinar/Horseman view boards as the camera was originally designed for.

Sal Santamaura
1-Feb-2014, 19:27
...I wonder whether it was an experiment he tried in just a few cameras. From the looks of it I wonder whether it may allow control of tilt independently from rise - in most of Dick's cameras they're secured by the same knob...Yes, it does appear to provide independent control of front rise and tilt. However, I'm guessing that, since it's nekkid aluminum, someone other than Dick might have modified the camera. I suppose we could always ask Dick. :)

Oren Grad
1-Feb-2014, 20:34
However, I'm guessing that, since it's nekkid aluminum, someone other than Dick might have modified the camera.

I think you're right. The uprights don't look like Dick's, and whoever did it also replaced the usual swing-up lensboard retainer blade with a more traditional slide-retainer. I don't think that's an improvement.

Sal Santamaura
3-Feb-2014, 17:06
...I'm guessing that, since it's nekkid aluminum, someone other than Dick might have modified the camera. I suppose we could always ask Dick. :)I did send Dick a message, including a link to the auction, asking about that front standard. He replied a little while ago confirming he had nothing to do with the modification. He added that, in his opinion, the seller should have black anodized the aluminum before listing the camera.

originalphoto
5-Feb-2014, 10:38
Good price, over 10 grands. It is good time to sell your Phillips since recently many of them were sold with very high price.

Jonathan Barlow
5-Feb-2014, 10:46
It sold for $10,100.00.

dap
5-Feb-2014, 12:57
That final price is crazy town. But...I'd be more shocked if the winning bidder actually paid up.

Drew Wiley
5-Feb-2014, 13:03
Nuts. Absolutely nuts. For that kind of money I could buy a basic CNC setup and enough tooling and materials to probably make half a dozen of em. But no, I'm not
interested in making cameras (Chamonix has essentially cloned it with newer materials), and not interested in selling my own Phillips. It was an innovative design for its time, and I personally like its reliable simplified operation; but the cost of the materials and labor that went into in the first place weren't especially high at all.

nm39131
6-Feb-2014, 00:12
Crazy price indeed for a camera that isn't even all original.

originalphoto
6-Feb-2014, 16:41
something is behind the sale, buyer should be from China and most likely is the dealer.