PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock Portrait 220mm, anyone know about this one?

Colin D
30-Jan-2014, 16:03
I've never heard of a Rodenstock Portrait or soft focus lens but this one is on the bay at the moment, it looks nice, has been written up nicely, and has a price to match the build up. Anyone know of them? Rodenstock is not a brand I immediately associate with Portrait or Soft Focus, is that because they are no good relative to the other more celebrated and discussed lenses or are they rarely seen?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370982423460?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_5676wt_929

Ciao

Bob Salomon
30-Jan-2014, 16:50
How can you possibly not associate the Rodenstock Imagon with soft focus or as a portrait lens?

cowanw
30-Jan-2014, 17:03
Hmmm.
This is a portrait/soft focus lens made using technology of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The glass contains embedded particles or inclusions that do not change the image from that originally obtained by the original user.
You won't be very happy if the only image obtained is one by the original owner.

John Conway
30-Jan-2014, 17:27
That is a beauty . Very cool lens .

Amedeus
30-Jan-2014, 19:46
This is a Petzval type lens, not necessarily a "soft focus" lens. The Imagon line is definitely a soft focus lens line.

There was a Rodenstock "soft focus" labeled lens sold on the auction site with possibly a triplet configuration ... first one I've ever seen labeled "G. Rodenstock Soft Focus Munchen"

Colin D
31-Jan-2014, 00:39
Haha, I even have an Imagon :), what was I thinking, or not thinking. This looks a snappy lens all the same, quite fast at f3.5 I would have thought.

Ok, showing my ignorance, is a portrait lens not soft?

Bob Salomon
31-Jan-2014, 05:10
Haha, I even have an Imagon :), what was I thinking, or not thinking. This looks a snappy lens all the same, quite fast at f3.5 I would have thought.

Ok, showing my ignorance, is a portrait lens not soft?

Back in the late 70s and early 80s Linhof sold a Rodenstock lens labeled "Linhof Portrait" which was made for them by Rodenstock. It was about a 240mm and was actually, originally designed as a tele lens. Although labeled Portrait it was not soft. Portrait, in this case, referred to the focal length.