PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 cameras and 6x17 photography

Travis
12-Sep-2004, 21:06
I'm new to this forum and I would like to say what a brilliant website you have created - such a wealth of information!

It has been ten years since I studied photography and used a studio 4x5 camera for 'table-top' commercial work. I have since worked in the film and TV industry with film cameras, but would now like to have a go at large format landscape photography (as a hobby). After quite a few months of research on the internet, I had pretty much decided to buy either a second hand Linhof Technorama or Fuji G617. However, the fact that they came with fixed lenses always worried me, because I knew that I would probably find this very limiting. I am aware that both manufacturers make models that allow a small selection of interchangable lenses, but the price of these quickly turned me off.

I recently discoved the Canham 6x17 roll back, which opened my eyes to the whole new possibility of the large format camera. I have since tried to research as much as I can on the internet about this 6x17 back and would like to discuss and confirm my findings.

It seems that a couple of 5x7 cameras have been specifically designed to take this 6x17 back, being the Canham MQC, the Walker Titan XL Wide and the Osaka (which can be adapted). I have also read that any camera that has a Graflok back will accept the 6x17 back. Does this require any further adaption, or will it simply attach to this sort of back? If so, surely this makes my options far greater when it comes to camera choice.

Ideally I would like to find a suitable second-hand 5x7 camera to use with this back, but failing that, the Osaka is appealing due to the fact it is about $1,000 cheaper than the MQC (unfortunately I DO have a small budget). Has anyone had any experience with the Osaka 5x7?

I noticed that the Linhof and Fuji panoramic cameras required a centre filter for the wide lens. Is the same filter required for certain focal lengths with the 5x7 camera using the 6x17 back?

That's probably enough questions for now. I look forward to hearing from anyone who can add to or confirm my findings.

Thanks, Travis.

Frank Petronio
12-Sep-2004, 21:17
The Osaka isn't anywhere near the quality of the other cameras you mention, which is reflected in its price. The Shen-Hao from China seems to be the biggest bang for the buck, and reviews are positive. They also sell an inexpensive 6x17 back, which is more primative than the Canham. But... for the price, it looks good. Check it out with Jeff at Badger Graphic at http://www.badgergraphic.com; Midwest Photo at http://mpex.com/; or ShenHao itself (you can buy directly - search this website for info) http://www.shen-hao.com/.

If a lens requires a center filter on a 6x17, then it will require the same on 12 x 18 film (5x7). The lenses used on the 6x17 bodies are exactly the same as the lenses you buy for view cameras. Their extra expense comes from the focusing helicoils and proprietary lens mounts. And because they have you over the barrel.

You can rent 6x17 cameras in major cities - it might be worth trying one before going hawg wild - scanning and printing 6x17 is abit more hassle than 4x5, etc.

Gem Singer
12-Sep-2004, 21:32
Hi Travis,

I recently purchased a 5X7 Tachihara from Jim, at Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com). For marketing purposes, Bromwell has named his version of the Tachihara, Osaka. It is identical to the Tachihara. Jim assured me that the 5X7 Tachihara is fully capable of handling the Canham 6X17 roll film back, if I should decide to add one in the future.

You can e-mail Jim at jim@mpex.com to verify this information. He also handles the Canham 6X17 backs, and will make a package deal on the combination of theTachihara 5X7 and the Canham 6X17 back. Tell him that you read this on the LF forum.

John Kasaian
12-Sep-2004, 21:35
Travis,

If you really want to stay under budget look for an old Agfa Ansco Universal 5x7 with sliders in the back that will give you two 2-1/2"x7" exposures on a sheet of 5x7 film. The back can track up against the front standard like a tailboard camera, or you can rack out the bellows to nearly 20 inches which gives you a great choice in lenses and focal lengths from extremely wide to long. All this goes for about $200, often with a shuttered lens thrown in. Truly a "universal" camera. I have one and its a peach! Unless you're not open to an alternative to roll fillm, I think you'll find these old cameras(in good condition of course) worth looking at.

Ellis Vener
12-Sep-2004, 21:37
when I reviewed the Canham 6x17cm back for "View Camera" Iused it on a late 1960s vintage 5x7 Linhof Technika IV. This camera has sort of a Graflock back -- a removable ground-glass frame but no sliding bars to lock the back into place. Jeff Wheeeler at Quality Camera in Atlanta took some heavy gauge steel or aluminum wire to hold the back in place on the camera. It worked like a charm. Evidently it is not too difficult to do something similar with an Arca-Swiss or Sinar 5x7 camera as well.

Some experimenting with which ever lens you use is advised but in general any lens shorter than maybe 120mm might needa center weighted filter.

Travis
12-Sep-2004, 22:25
Thanks everyone for the info. For some reason I was unable to locate the Shen-Hao website - the link didn't work. That's interesting that the Tachihara and Osaka are essentially the same camera. Obviously this would be a lesser quality camera than the Canham and Walker cameras, but Eugene seems to think it still does the job.

To reply to John's message, I would prefer to stick to the larger format of the 6x17 roll film, as I would like to blow the images up very large and I know I have plenty of choice when it comes to film stocks.

Frank mentioned the new Shen-Hao 6x17 roll film back designed for 4x5 cameras. I see that this was reviewed in the latest View Camera Magazine. Unfortunately, living in Australia, I may not be able to get hold of this magazine, so can anyone provide more info on this back? How does it work on the smaller 4x5 camera?? It seems to stick out the sides a long way. Also, it seems to come with some kind of viewer. This back would seem to be a great alternative to the 'Rolls Royce' Canham back. It would also allow me to use any 4x5 Graflock back camera, which appear to be in greater supply than 5x7 cameras.

I see that Bender has a 'build your own' 4x5 camera, but not with a Griflock back. I guess one of these cameras could possibly be adapted to take the Shen-Hao 6x17 back, which really brings the price down. Anyone had experience with these Bender cameras?

Thanks again for your help people.

Travis

Ernest Purdum
13-Sep-2004, 06:45
One nice point about nearly all view and field cameras is that the back comes off and permits all sorts of possible modifications. The combination of a 5X7 camera with a reducing back to Graflok 4X5 is a very pleasant one. Amongst other benefits, it gets more use out of your expensive lenses, since a wide angle lens on 5X7 becomes a moderate angle lens with good movement capability on the smaller size.

Graflok backs, by themselve, are continuously available on eBay. Making up the adapter frame to fit one to a 5X7 camera is a fairly easy job for a competent woodworker. (Space the Graflok frame back about 9/16" to accommodate the bulge of the Polaroid 545 holder.) eBay sellers can't spell. Search for graphlok, grafloc, graflock, etc.

The thin plywood sheets used by model makers are excellent for use in making adapter frames. For a nicer finish and/or to stack up to the exact thickness required, the thin mahogany, cherry, etc. sheets available from www,micromark.com are very helpful.

ramin
13-Sep-2004, 07:22
Hello Travis:

I myself am very interested in this Shen Hau 6x17 back but since it has just entered the market I think I will wait for a while till I hear the reports from the first users. Kerry Thalmann (http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/499511.html) has apparently written an article on this back as you know your self; I think he is the person who can answer your questions. I have no access to the article mentioned either so I can only assume the back must have an extension housing and a 6x17 ground glass, I don’t really know the role of that magnifier glass illustrated in this picture: http://www.viewcamera.com/pdf/2004/VC97-summaries.pdf http://www.badgergraphic.com/search_product2.asp?x=4078

steve simmons
13-Sep-2004, 09:18
In the Sept/Oct 04 issue of View Camera there is an article called "6x17 on a Shoestring".

steve simmons