PDA

View Full Version : Can use Fujj instand film with vertical shots?

kevs-2323668
29-Jan-2014, 14:04
I had my Sinar 4x5 set to vertical, but it did not seem then I was able to use the Fuji holder and the slider was blocked by the camera. Is this possible to do? thanks.

Kirk Gittings
29-Jan-2014, 14:19
With the opening of the bail to the top or bottom?

AtlantaTerry
29-Jan-2014, 14:21
What was blocking? The holder should easily insert from the top of the camera, just like film holders should. Were you trying to load the holder from below the ground glass? If so then, yes, the monorail could be in the way. Orient the back so the Fuji holder inserts from above.

If you can upload some cell phone photos, maybe we can see what the problem is and help you.

kevs-2323668
29-Jan-2014, 14:42
The holder points downs and hits the tripod so there is no way to get the slider out.
Has anyone been able to use instant film on veritcal shots? I could take photos on next shoot. will make note.

Tin Can
29-Jan-2014, 14:51
Sold my P because of this issue.

I have had the same problem with Horseman 4x5 L. You need space to pull the darkslide from one end and also space to rip the film out the other side.

I found my Horseman could do it, only in vertical and with full rear rise, and bending the dark slide to get it in and out.

Darin Boville
29-Jan-2014, 14:57
Sounds like you are running into the same problem I had when I (briefly) owned a Sinar P.

Holder only goes in one way due to the bulge which means the darkslide and film come out the bottom.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?63095-Correct-way-to-use-Polaroid-back-on-Sinar-P&highlight=darin+sinar+instant

Sold it because I couldn't use instant film easily.

--Darin

kevs-2323668
29-Jan-2014, 17:13
Randy, thanks you sold the Sinar because of this, and Darin, you sold the Holder or the Sinar?

I can't sell my Sinar, too invested it. I'd probably just bail on doing Vertical instant previews.

Was there any solution Darin, hard to read the whole thread.

Actually, even horizontal previews are a pain now that I'm shooting 400 and they are at 100. Good to just get one in for light leaks or lens issues.

Kirk Gittings
29-Jan-2014, 19:06
Seriously? It only rotates so that the bail opens down?

Darin Boville
29-Jan-2014, 19:24
Seriously? It only rotates so that the bail opens down?

If we are talking about a P (the only Sinar I've ever used) the bulg-y part of the Instant film back (pack film, not single sheet) sticks out too far to place it on the bottom of a vertical shot--it rams against the camera. So you have to put it on top. But if you do that then the darkslide (and film) have to come out the bottom. That requires the darkslide to make a sharp turn, mid-slide. No fun. Also on the P I had trouble inserting the instant film back--it was super-tight--way too tight since you had to use brute strength to get it in and the camera would get bumped.

Since I had a project in mind that was heavy on instant film I sold the P. Nice camera otherwise.

--Darin

Lou Baleur
29-Jan-2014, 19:37
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?63095-Correct-way-to-use-Polaroid-back-on-Sinar-P

Amedeus
29-Jan-2014, 20:04
I have no issues with the Polaroid 550 and Fuji PA-45 holder for 4x5. I'm shooting on P and P2, 8x10 with reducing back or on my 4x5 dedicated Sinar P.

I can make this combination work with the Polaroid 405 holder for the smaller than 4x5 format on the reducing back . Works best with the dark slide down, you have to bend it a little bit but not too much of an issue in my case. You can do it also dark slide up but then it's a bit of a hassle to get the 405 holder from under the GG. Can't make the 405 back work vertically on the 4x5 Sinar P I have.

I really don't bother with the 405 on Sinar too much as I'm mostly shooting 4x5 and 8x10 polaroid. The 405 is delegated to my Speed Graphic anyhow, I just turn the camera.

YMMV.

kevs-2323668
29-Jan-2014, 20:15
thanks Darin, I think I have P, maybe F, but I surmise it's same issue.
This is fine art, no client, so I can just do horizontals. As it is not true 4x5 instant film now anyway! Thanks for confirming this is hopeless, needed to know.

Karl A
29-Jan-2014, 20:18
I have no issues with the Polaroid 550 and Fuji PA-45 holder for 4x5. I'm shooting on P and P2, 8x10 with reducing back or on my 4x5 dedicated Sinar P.

I can make this combination work with the Polaroid 405 holder for the smaller than 4x5 format on the reducing back . Works best with the dark slide down, you have to bend it a little bit but not too much of an issue in my case. You can do it also dark slide up but then it's a bit of a hassle to get the 405 holder from under the GG. Can't make the 405 back work vertically on the 4x5 Sinar P I have.

I really don't bother with the 405 on Sinar too much as I'm mostly shooting 4x5 and 8x10 polaroid. The 405 is delegated to my Speed Graphic anyhow, I just turn the camera.

YMMV.

+1

Those polaroid backs that take fp-100 film basically don't work on a Sinar. Not worth the frustration in my humble opinion. But the PA-45 (which takes actual 4x5 instant film) is a breeze to work with, horizontal or vertical.

kevs-2323668
29-Jan-2014, 20:57
I have Fuji back, not working Vertically.

Darin Boville
29-Jan-2014, 21:06
I have Fuji back, not working Vertically.

Just to be clear, there are (or were?) two types of instant backs by Polaroid and Fuji that go by a variety of names. I always get the models numbers confused. But basically you have the thinner full 4x5-inch, single sheet backs that seem to work just fine with the Sinar. And then you have the 10-sheet pack film backs that shoot a slightly smaller image--these backs are thicker and do not seem to work easily with the Sinars. That's my experience, at least.

--Darin

Liquid Artist
29-Jan-2014, 21:51
It sounds lik my Calumet may have the same issue if I tried it.
I am wondering if just moving everything back on the rail would be a solution, while shooting with longer lenses.