PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Exposed Film

klocksib
28-Jan-2014, 20:15
I've been shooting and developing my own black and white 4x5 film for about six months now, and would like to start shooting some color. I don't plan on developing the film myself, and plan on shipping it down to Citizen's Photo in Portland. What's the best way to ship large format film? In the film holder? Some other packaging?

Jim Andrada
28-Jan-2014, 21:00
I'd ask the folks you plan to ship it to what packaging they recommend.

Ben Hopson
28-Jan-2014, 21:06
Empty film boxes work well. Just label the boxes with film type, process etc. and enclose a note to return the boxes. Use the complete 3 part film boxes for light tightness and pack the film boxes inside another shipping box. I would avoid sending film in holders.

Ben

Daniel Stone
28-Jan-2014, 22:02
Empty film boxes work well. Just label the boxes with film type, process etc. and enclose a note to return the boxes. Use the complete 3 part film boxes for light tightness and pack the film boxes inside another shipping box. I would avoid sending film in holders.

Ben

+1

I've shipped many sheets of 4x5 and 8x10 film to labs across the country(this is primarily E-6 and C-41 processing), and I've never had a problem using regular 'ol USPS Priority Mail.

Put the exposed film into empty film boxes(triple nesting ones the film came in, or a spare just like it), pack it up and send it away :)
I've never had issues w/ x-ray damage on USPS parcels containing exposed or fresh film.

4x5 color is ADDICTIVE, so make sure your wallet is ready ;)!

StoneNYC
29-Jan-2014, 01:46
I use Praus, their prices are great and they even sent me a few extra boxes for next time as mine were a little shabby.

lenser
29-Jan-2014, 13:01
Some labs have their own shipping envelopes, so check with yours. Never trust just the envelopes. Wrap them in clear shipping tape in both directions (I lost 50 sheets from a day away four day shoot by not doing that once). The three part box is great, but I also had a box like that crushed on one corner by some sort of transport machine, presumably something like a fork lift, in the post office. since it was full, I only had a very small amount of leakage from one corner. Had it been only half full, I probably would have lost the whole batch. Now I send in a larger box with packing materials. Finally, never ship a box without taping on a name and address to the film box. If I had done that to that envelope that I failed to tape all around, I might have still gotten the film back.

AtlantaTerry
29-Jan-2014, 15:12
Most labs will send you empty boxes. Just ask.

Be SURE to mark the box as to the type of film you put in because it might not be the same as what is on the manufacturer's label.

Also, mark it EXPOSED: Open In Darkroom Only.

klocksib
29-Jan-2014, 21:49
Perfect, thanks everyone for the advice!

Michael Kadillak
30-Jan-2014, 08:21
I would also put the film in the Ilford black plastic sleeves and them put it into the triple box. I use this technique to change out holders on a road trip after having learned my lesson with unintentional fogged film. Film is far to expensive to take chances with.

Another suggestion would be to ask the company processing your film to tell you what developer and process they use with your film. How your negatives print could offer suggestions to improve the results you have to work with.

StoneNYC
30-Jan-2014, 10:07
I would also put the film in the Ilford black plastic sleeves and them put it into the triple box. I use this technique to change out holders on a road trip after having learned my lesson with unintentional fogged film. Film is far to expensive to take chances with.

Another suggestion would be to ask the company processing your film to tell you what developer and process they use with your film. How your negatives print could offer suggestions to improve the results you have to work with.

Do they make 11x14 and 14x17 tripple boxes? Have any extras I need a few...

Regular Rod
8-Sep-2014, 15:24

This is very important advice! NB ILFORD black plastic bags! Save your B&W ILFORD packets for when you use colour.

Kodak and Fuji put their films in dreadful, tear-open-by-feel, use-only-once, farting little packets that are no good for filling back up again with your exposed sheets as there is insufficient material in the packets to allow you to fold over the end and tuck it safely into the inner box.

Cost effective for Kodak and Fuji but it's to Hell with the customers' needs...

RR

StoneNYC
8-Sep-2014, 16:56
This is very important advice! NB ILFORD black plastic bags! Save your B&W ILFORD packets for when you use colour.

Kodak and Fuji put their films in dreadful, tear-open-by-feel, use-only-once, farting little packets that are no good for filling back up again with your exposed sheets as there is insufficient material in the packets to allow you to fold over the end and tuck it safely into the inner box.

Cost effective for Kodak and Fuji but it's to Hell with the customers' needs...

RR

RR, not to disagree with you, but with the Fuji, I have no issues with having enough material to fold over, Kodak's bags are horrid. But even more important, the Ilford bags don't seem to be as light resistant as other bags, and I think the Fuji bags are a little thicker/denser. So there's a trade off...

I also noticed the print paper bags of ilford are thin, the oriental paper bags are really thick, use those!