PDA

View Full Version : AWB Wind Stabilization kit - can I get a picture of one?

Phil Hudson
27-Jan-2014, 23:23
I'm considering buying the AWB wind stabilization kit for my homebrew 11x14 but I'm having trouble finding clear pictures of it to see if it is suitable for fitting to my camera. Can anybody post a couple of pictures, especially of the hardware attached to the front and rear standards of their camera?

Thanks!

Louis Pacilla
28-Jan-2014, 07:39
Have you seen this company photo?

http://www.filmholders.com/wskit.html

Nathan Potter
28-Jan-2014, 12:53
I originally constructed a home made version of the device Louis has shown for my TK45 cameras. Maybe it helped a bit but was really minimally effective. The biggest difference came from supporting the lens on the front standard with two monopods placed at roughly 60 degrees out from the lens. Then I loaded the center column of the tripod using a cloth bag filled with perhaps 20 lbs of rocks from the car. This all helps greatly but in fairly high wind you're mostly sunk.

A wind break can help greatly. I've seen somewhere a three pole setup with canvas stretched between where the poles are driven into the ground. Or course such a thing is not for backpacking.

I use the monopod trick now on almost all my exposures.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Phil Hudson
28-Jan-2014, 13:12
Have you seen this company photo?

http://www.filmholders.com/wskit.html

Thanks Louis - that's the only photo I did find. From the rather small photos I was unsure exactly how it attaches to each standard so I was hoping for a bit more detail or experience. I'll have to figure out if it can be adapted to my needs or if a home made solution would be more convenient.

Phil

Keith Pitman
28-Jan-2014, 14:03
I had one of these at one time, but it's been a few years. From memory, the fixtures that hold the stabilizing rod are screwed into threaded inserts that you must install in the top of the front standard and the rear frame. Easy to do. I used the stabilizer on a shaky Korona and it helped some.

Grumium
1-Mar-2016, 16:15
Although I assume that Phil found a solution in the meantime, I'd like to resurrect this old thread. It might be helpful for others.

I used to use the AWB Wind Stabilization Kit on my Canham 7x17. It did help to stabilize the back standard (which is the "wobbly" part of the Canham). Please note that AWB supplies a wood screw that I replaced (and the aluminum profile custom machined) with a 1/4" threaded bold that attaches to the given threads on the Canham.

147358 147359 147360 147361

The kit comes with three solid aluminum rods that screw into each other. If you can live with a single rod, I'd go for a lighter carbon fiber tube.

Jac@stafford.net
1-Mar-2016, 16:54
When the issue is wind or breeze, a stout golfing umbrella used as a directional shield is a better solution. Besides, it also serves as a good walking stick.

Tin Can
1-Mar-2016, 17:12
Although I assume that Phil found a solution in the meantime, I'd like to resurrect this old thread. It might be helpful for others.

I used to use the AWB Wind Stabilization Kit on my Canham 7x17. It did help to stabilize the back standard (which is the "wobbly" part of the Canham). Please note that AWB supplies a wood screw that I replaced (and the aluminum profile custom machined) with a 1/4" threaded bold that attaches to the given threads on the Canham.

147358 147359 147360 147361

The kit comes with three solid aluminum rods that screw into each other. If you can live with a single rod, I'd go for a lighter carbon fiber tube.

Is this still for sale?

The AWB website is clearly dated 2006 which makes me wonder, many times over the years, if the products are actually for sale.

Grumium
1-Mar-2016, 17:14
Randy, the answer to your question is just an email to Alan away ;-)

Greg
1-Mar-2016, 17:48
I use a Manfrotto 359 Long Lens Support slightly modified so that it clamps on to the front bed of the camera. Literally takes less than 30 seconds to set up and less to take down.

lab black
1-Mar-2016, 17:53
I use two AWB stabilization kits on my camera, both of which have been extremely beneficial. The standard kit attaches on top of the front and rear standards. A custom designed kit attaches the rear standard to the base. If you call or write to him, possibly he can also design something specific to your needs.

Tin Can
1-Mar-2016, 18:05
Randy, the answer to your question is just an email to Alan away ;-)

I seldom email folks from last decade.

No matter how cool that is.

Roger Thoms
1-Mar-2016, 19:28
Randy, I emailed Alan a couple of years ago and he got right back to me.

Roger

David Lobato
1-Mar-2016, 20:42
I'm just wondering about the workflow. So you focus, adjust movements, and refocus if necessary. Then clamp on the stabilization device. If you need to refocus it's loosen the stabilization rod and retighten after refocus or re adjust movements. It might be prudent to re-check focus after clamping the rod.

Notes: 1) You could also use the rod to rig a bellows support to prevent sag. 2) Be careful with a wind break umbrella. If it's attached to the camera support the whole thing could be toppled in the wind.

Steven Tribe
2-Mar-2016, 02:57
I can see some advantage with this system with cameras that have different sized front and rear standards. It needs double the number of screw tensionings compared with the side support system. Side support is mechanically a more effective system as the bracing rods are directly above the standard/base connections. And, of course, the materials and colour will look out of place on traditional wood/brass cameras.

Tin Can
2-Mar-2016, 07:29
Randy, I emailed Alan a couple of years ago and he got right back to me.

Roger

Thanks Roger. That's good to hear. I address this and more in my Rant.

dentkimterry
16-Jun-2017, 18:04
I emailed this outfit about a week ago and have heard nothing.
Terry