PDA

View Full Version : Modified CC402

John Conway
27-Jan-2014, 17:19
Anyone using Calumet CC series cameras will appreciate this modification . The viewer mod doesn't work with the B&J Orbit monorail . Different back . It works nicely since it can be kept on the camera while loading and unloading film holders . The mod consists of one Cambo viewer , two brass lampshade caps , two stainless hex bolts with washers , and two picture hanger spring sets . Total cost under four bucks.

http://i44.tinypic.com/30d9j5g.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2q3nng1.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/33tgn4k.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2r47udl.jpg

lenser
27-Jan-2014, 17:53
That is just flat out clever.

Nice job!

Louis Pacilla
27-Jan-2014, 19:32
Anyone using Calumet CC series cameras will appreciate this modification . The viewer mod doesn't work with the B&J Orbit monorail . Different back . It works nicely since it can be kept on the camera while loading and unloading film holders . The mod consists of one Cambo viewer , two brass lampshade caps , two stainless hex bolts with washers , and two picture hanger spring sets . Total cost under four bucks.

http://i39.tinypic.com/33tgn4k.jpg

Hey John.

Not that it matters at all it's more self serving in that I'm testing my memory.:o

Did you post this a while back? I swear I remember this same clever solution and it had to be you. I seem to remember the use of the spring loaded plate hangers for the springs and hooks. I'm talking like two or three years back.
Either that or I'm having one of those deja vus.

BTW- Nice thinking outside of the box.:)

John Conway
27-Jan-2014, 20:33
Hey Louis , I did post this when I originally did the project. I also put together a similar set up on my Keith twin lens 4X5 camera. With the Keith , I used a different viewer. I searched for my post but it was gone. So I made new pictures of the camera today and posted them to share with members of the forum. And thank you for the kind words.

John Conway
27-Jan-2014, 20:33
That is just flat out clever.

Nice job!

Thank you

Kirk Gittings
27-Jan-2014, 21:03
Cool idea on one of my favorite cameras, but it should be moved to the DIY forum?

BetterSense
27-Jan-2014, 21:08
Cambo viewers are free? Where can I get one? How do they work?

Dan Fromm
27-Jan-2014, 21:25
Cambo viewers are free? Where can I get one? How do they work?

Not free. KEH sometimes has them and they turn up on eBay fairly often.

There are three models for 4x5 cameras, two reflex (the OP shows a monocular one, there's also a binocular) and one straight-through. The reflex finders have a 45 degree mirror, mirror and eyepiece rotate on the base. The straight-through has an eyepiece, no mirror. Duh. All three attach to the rear of the 4x5 Cambo Graflok back, not to the rear of the Cambo bail back. None has a ground glass, the gg is part of the back to which the viewer attaches. Basically specific to Cambo but they've been adapted to other makes.

John Conway
27-Jan-2014, 21:27
Cool idea on one of my favorite cameras, but it should be moved to the DIY forum?

Thanks Kirk . One of my favorite cameras as well .

Megapixel
28-Jan-2014, 02:22
Very nice. Thank you for taking the time to take & post the photos. I may start looking for a viewer to do this mod on my CC-400.

John Conway
28-Jan-2014, 04:21
Very nice. Thank you for taking the time to take & post the photos. I may start looking for a viewer to do this mod on my CC-400.

You can get the Cambo viewer for under a hundred bucks on eBay . Some are listed for 300.00 but they don't sell. I am on my third viewer from eBay . The highest price I paid was 95.00 and the lowest 45.00 . One sold yesterday for 75.00 .

George E. Sheils
28-Jan-2014, 06:39
Hi John,

Like Louis I remember your original post.
This is my one and only LF camera too.

At the moment I am using an old Cambo bag bellows which is attached to the back witha a piece of velcro fastener.
However, I have been tempted to try this idea as it looks so neat.

Can I ask you does the viewer give a good clear image with the wide angle lens?
Mmmm... I wonder if dimento (Damian Drohan) still has his Cambo viewer for sale...

John Conway
28-Jan-2014, 14:24
Hi John,

Like Louis I remember your original post.
This is my one and only LF camera too.

At the moment I am using an old Cambo bag bellows which is attached to the back witha a piece of velcro fastener.
However, I have been tempted to try this idea as it looks so neat.

Can I ask you does the viewer give a good clear image with the wide angle lens?
Mmmm... I wonder if dimento (Damian Drohan) still has his Cambo viewer for sale... Yes , the image is nice and clear. Outside shooting is always clear and bright. Inside is OK . Sometimes with my f/8 wide angles when shooting inside , I will pop off the viewer and use the loupe. That is what makes the set up nice. You just pull back the spring and remove the viewer for critical focusing if the light levels are low. The four lenses I use with my CC402 are 47SA XL f5.6 ,Nikon 65 f4 , SA 90 f8 , and my favorite lens the 121 f8 super angulon. All on flat boards. Even the 47 XL! I have made some wonderful images with my CC402 with Cambo viewer. I wish I could share them on the forum but I do not have a scanner and my computer skills are not great.