PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for large format focus loupe

dimento
25-Jan-2014, 02:53
Hi Guys, I shoot with 2 4x5 field cameras and an 8x10 C1, and am looking for recommendations for a focus loupe. I currently use a Nikon, which has good optics, but is designed for contact sheet/lightbox use and I find it very awkward for groundglass focussing.

Can anyone recommend something longer which will allow me to focus without contorting myself?

My budget isn't huge

thanks

D

dimento
25-Jan-2014, 02:59
just found a very similar post so will follow through that one

Ari
25-Jan-2014, 12:28
Damian, have a look here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6x-MC-Muti-Coated-Focusing-Loupe-Lupe-for-4x5-8x10-Camera-by-Hening-/281087935354?pt=US_Viewfinders_Eyecups&hash=item417225837a
I've not tried them myself, but have heard mostly positive comments.

dimento
25-Jan-2014, 12:42
Damian, have a look here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6x-MC-Muti-Coated-Focusing-Loupe-Lupe-for-4x5-8x10-Camera-by-Hening-/281087935354?pt=US_Viewfinders_Eyecups&hash=item417225837a
I've not tried them myself, but have heard mostly positive comments.

thanks Ari, that's a nice looking loupe, might have to invest

BradS
25-Jan-2014, 13:35
I use +3 reading glasses...from the drug store. Much easier than a loupe.

dimento
25-Jan-2014, 13:59
interesting approach, and cheap!!

AtlantaTerry
26-Jan-2014, 15:53
Someone in the For Sale Forum is selling a very nice Wista loupe for $50. I have the Calumet version and really like it.

Jody_S
27-Jan-2014, 11:02

I've been using +3.25 and +4.00 glasses for a couple of years, I recently bought a pair of +6.00 off fleabay. They arrived broken, but I was able to cobble them back together last week and I'm about to try those for finer focus. I find the +3.25 isn't quite enough magnification for my eyes now, though they did quite well 5 years ago.

dimento
27-Jan-2014, 11:17
I've been using +3.25 and +4.00 glasses for a couple of years, I recently bought a pair of +6.00 off fleabay. They arrived broken, but I was able to cobble them back together last week and I'm about to try those for finer focus. I find the +3.25 isn't quite enough magnification for my eyes now, though they did quite well 5 years ago.

that's mad, must try it,

Jody_S
27-Jan-2014, 11:43
that's mad, must try it,

The main advantage, I find, is having both hands free while you focus; 2nd, you can see a much larger area of the ground glass (the whole thing, on 4x5, with a pair of +3.25).

Michael Alpert
27-Jan-2014, 11:44
dimento,

I've never used reading glasses, but I may try them sometime in the future. I use an Ebony handheld loupe (I have no idea what they cost these days). It's a multi-element lens with great resolution that is one of Ebony's better products. I bought mine used, so I know they sometimes show up on the second-hand market.

dimento
27-Jan-2014, 11:46
dimento,

I've never used reading glasses, but I may try them sometime in the future. I use an Ebony handheld loupe (I have no idea what they cost these days). It's a multi-element lens with great resolution that is one of Ebony's better products. I bought mine used, so I know they sometimes show up on the second-hand market.

I think I'm just about swayed, worth a try for a few €€

BradS
27-Jan-2014, 12:03
I just find the reading glasses so much easier to use and manage. The biggest and most obvious advantage is that you don't have to hold the loupe! You have a free hand to grip the dark cloth, fiddle with the aperture knob, direct your subject, adjust camera movements, etc...I could never go back to using a separate loupe. Its just way too clumsy....and when the damned thing gets lost, too expensive to replace.

BradS
27-Jan-2014, 12:06
........I find the +3.25 isn't quite enough magnification for my eyes now, though they did quite well 5 years ago.

I feel for you...my eyesight seems to get worse every few years too. :(

Leigh
27-Jan-2014, 13:23
I've owned several variations on a theme that I think is quite good.

This loupe is an aluminum cylinder, approx 1.5" OD x 3.75" long, with protective bezel and eyecup.

I've owned examples bearing the name of TOYO or PEAK, among others.
I've seen the power quoted as 3.5x or 4x. I think 3.5x is correct.

- Leigh

Tim Meisburger
27-Jan-2014, 15:24
I also have a nice loupe, but find myself, for the reasons mentioned, going more and more with the reading glasses. When I first picked them up (couple bucks on the street here in Bangkok, I was a bit amazed to see the whole ground glass in focus. Seems my near vision had deteriorated more than I knew, and I had been compensating for my inability to see with the loupe.

toyotadesigner
28-Jan-2014, 23:41
The Peak loupes are relatively low priced and good. Available in several magnifications:

http://www.peakoptics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=103

Larry Kellogg
11-Feb-2014, 07:44
I like the Rodenstock 4x Aspherical, not cheap, though, and it looks to be discontinued. I have one of the Hennings but find it to be too small and constraining.