PDA

View Full Version : Paper for Carbon?

Kirk Gittings
24-Jan-2014, 16:46
Did I read somewhere that carbon printers can use old silver paper? I have a bunch of very old multi-contrast paper I want to get rid of for shipping plus a few bucks to package it. Most;y 16x20. Interested?

Curt
24-Jan-2014, 18:45
Pm'd

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Jan-2014, 19:08
Curt... fast on the trigger! Kirk, yes expired and not fogged is fine for carbon transfer support. If Curt does not take it all I'll take some off of your hands.

Curt
24-Jan-2014, 19:57
I want it, I want it!! In a nice way! Jim I'm getting my 11x14 well along and the larger, and smaller sizes of paper will be much welcomed. Thanks Kirk.

Kirk Gittings
24-Jan-2014, 20:12
none is light fogged.

Curt I've been out since posting this. Tomorrow I will look at what all I have.
k

Curt
24-Jan-2014, 22:11
Thank you Kirk, no problem, whenever you get a chance I'm here.

Curt

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Jan-2014, 22:17
Nice job! NOw finish the camera and get to work printing carbon!! :-):)

Ginette
24-Jan-2014, 22:28
Are RC papers, B&W and color works too? I have certaintly many boxes Ektacolor RC papers 8x10 maybe 11x14.

Vaughn
25-Jan-2014, 00:44
Nice speed there, Curt! I just made a few 11x14 contact prints on some very old silver gelatin paper (Ektalure K) from the 70's -- beautiful stuff. Glad I did not fix it out! Any old VC paper would be more-than-likely too old...but fine for carbon.

RC papers work...I just do not like the look and feel of it, compared to fiber paper. But probably fine for testing. I think the color paper should fix out okay, but am not sure (usually it requires a bleach/fix -- but may not need it if not exposed...again, not sure).

Fortunately I have a stash of old 16x20 and 11x14 paper -- old Kodak and Ilford (Elite and Gallerie, respectively), plus some odds and ends.

Thanks, Kirk, for thinking of us carbon folks!

Curt
25-Jan-2014, 08:38
Nice job! NOw finish the camera and get to work printing carbon!! :-):)

That's the plan! 😄

Curt
25-Jan-2014, 08:45
Nice speed there, Curt! I just made a few 11x14 contact prints on some very old silver gelatin paper (Ektalure K) from the 70's -- beautiful stuff. Glad I did not fix it out! Any old VC paper would be more-than-likely too old...but fine for carbon.

RC papers work...I just do not like the look and feel of it, compared to fiber paper. But probably fine for testing. I think the color paper should fix out okay, but am not sure (usually it requires a bleach/fix -- but may not need it if not exposed...again, not sure).

Fortunately I have a stash of old 16x20 and 11x14 paper -- old Kodak and Ilford (Elite and Gallerie, respectively), plus some odds and ends.

Thanks, Kirk, for thinking of us carbon folks!.

You're right Vaughn, these materials are too good to waste and will be very useful again. I was just lucky to see Kirks post first. Thanks Kirk for thinking of us as Vaughn said!

Jim Fitzgerald
25-Jan-2014, 09:16
I have some Ektalure as well and wish I could find some more in 11x14 or 16x20. Great paper!

sanking
25-Jan-2014, 10:29
Silver papers are still available in several surfaces but nothing like in the hey day of silver gelatin photography. At one time Kodak alone had ten or more named papers (Kodabromide, Ektalure, Medalist, Portralure, etc.) and most of these named papers were available in six or more surface types (F, G, J, K, M, N, R, etc.). Even with silver printing the surface type had a lot to do with the final "image" look. With carbon printing the "look" is infinitely more variable still.

As a general look I prefer papers for carbon printing that have a slightly "pebbly" type surface. Unfortunately these type papers seem to be the hardest to find as the prevailing aesthetic for silver gelatin printers favored hard surface glossy papers with F type (high gloss) type surfaces.

Like Curt and Jim I am more than willing to take off your hands any old photo papers that are no longer useful for silver gelatin printing, though I am mainly interested in matte and pebbly surfaces in 16X20" or larger size.

Sandy