PDA

View Full Version : My "as is" Fuji 250 6.7

John Conway
24-Jan-2014, 15:30
I don't usually go for "as is" or bargain grade stuff because in the past I've had some bad experiences. But I have been looking for a 250 6.7 at a reasonable price . There are not many 6.7 250 fuji lenses around lately. And when they do pop up for sale , they are priced pretty high. So today one pops up on ebay for a buck thirty (#281251944785) . I knew this wasn't going to last long , it looked pretty decent , so I bought it. Now , seller described it as having no mounting ring , but in the picture , the lens is mounted to a board with some kind of ring. If I can make that ring work I'll be happy. If not , where do I get a ring ? Anyway , I think she will be a good performer . The issue with the front element seems minor.

Ari
24-Jan-2014, 17:02
It's a Seiko shutter, you might be in for a long search for that retaining ring.
It looks, from the photo, that it is front-mounted to the lens board; I've never seen it done that way with this lens before, but if it works, use it.

Jody_S
24-Jan-2014, 17:10
His 'S-I ring' is plainly a flange or retaining ring, so you should have no trouble mounting the lens. And I wouldn't worry about 'hairline scratches' to the front element, as described by a Japanese seller. I'm sure the lens will be fine, and a great bargain for the price.

BarryS
24-Jan-2014, 17:11
It looks like there's a flange instead of a retaining ring. Should work fine mounted to another board.

Steve Goldstein
24-Jan-2014, 17:15
If you really want a mounting ring, there's always SK Grimes. It may not be cheap, but it'll certainly be a thing of beauty.

John Conway
24-Jan-2014, 17:39
It's a Seiko shutter, you might be in for a long search for that retaining ring.
It looks, from the photo, that it is front-mounted to the lens board; I've never seen it done that way with this lens before, but if it works, use it.

It does look like it works. But it bugs me. I'm thinking I may be able to use that ring on the back of the board. Just drill holes in the board and use longer screws . Everything must be flush on the front side of the board. Can't wait to get her mounted on my Calumet C1 .

John Conway
24-Jan-2014, 17:45
His 'S-I ring' is plainly a flange or retaining ring, so you should have no trouble mounting the lens. And I wouldn't worry about 'hairline scratches' to the front element, as described by a Japanese seller. I'm sure the lens will be fine, and a great bargain for the price.

Thanks Jody I'm building my 8x10 system . A good deal every now and then helps.

BrianShaw
25-Jan-2014, 07:33
I once bought a lens that was front mounted with a flange to a wooden board and when I moved it to a Cambo metal board the flange was turned around and used as a retaining ring. It was an Acme shutter, but maybe you can do the same/similar.

Fred L
25-Jan-2014, 07:52
looks like you should be able to remove the flange and use it like a retaining ring. might need to be trimmed if you're going to use it on the same board.

John Conway
25-Jan-2014, 09:43
Yeah..... I'm thinking a little trimming here , a little drilling there , and she will be up and running on my C1 in no time at all. I like tinkering with large format equipment. When I have the parts in front of me it all comes together and I get an idea. For instance , just this morning , I was looking at the plastic slide/swing lock knob on the front standard of my Calumet C1. I always thought it should be metal . Over in the corner sat an old B&J Grover 8X10 monorail doing nothing but taking up space . The Grover is an ugly , heavy camera loaded with heavy duty aluminum knobs , brackets and hardware . So , I put together an improved lock knob .

Simon Benton
25-Jan-2014, 09:48
Took me 2 years to find a retaining ring for my 250 f6.7 and I was lucky enough to find 2 at the same time. If you get stuck let me know and we can arrange something.

John Conway
25-Jan-2014, 10:17
Took me 2 years to find a retaining ring for my 250 f6.7 and I was lucky enough to find 2 at the same time. If you get stuck let me know and we can arrange something.

Ok Thanks Simon

BrianShaw
25-Jan-2014, 11:10
If the C1 uses metal boards like the SC then you might be happily surprised that the only cutting or trimming is to make the hole in the lensboard!

John Conway
25-Jan-2014, 11:41
If the C1 uses metal boards like the SC then you might be happily surprised that the only cutting or trimming is to make the hole in the lensboard!

Oh yes..... definitely a metal board. It is actually the same board as a Deardorff but metal .

John Conway
29-Jan-2014, 16:33
Well , my 250 6.7 arrived today from Japan. The "as is" lens is pretty darn nice. the front element issue is just a very minor coating blemish . The flange will work fine on a C1 board. A great deal.

John Conway
29-Jan-2014, 17:58
Things are better than I thought . After a good cleaning , I don't see anything at all on the front element or the rear element! Oh yeah .