PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating Issue Epson 4900 Printer

beauport
24-Jan-2014, 10:07
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm hopeful I may find some help for my Epson 4900. I use the 4900 and an Epson 3880 regularly and out of the blue the prints from the 4900 appear slightly washed out and have a "cooler" look to them than what I am seeing on my calibrated monitor. I printed the same image on the 3880 on the same paper type and the print matched very closely to what the monitor displayed. I did all the usual things to corrrect the issue on the 4900, head cleaning, verifying no cloging to find there were two but with subsequent cleaning all are now clean. I did a head alignment. At the end the results were the same. I called Epson professional imaging and the rep suggested I uninstall and reinstall the print drivers which I did. I made sure the drivers and firmware are up to date.
I've been printing with Epson Exhibition Fiber paper and, to save money while getting poor prints I tried Red River polar luster. Again, the images printed on the 3880 were good while those printed on the 4900 were slightly washed out and cool. I use Photoshop CS6 for file prep and printing. Using a PC with Windows 7, 64 bit. Up until 2 days ago both printers made nearly identical prints. I'm not sure what to try next. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Peter Mounier
24-Jan-2014, 10:14
Someone here might be able to help, but it sounds like you're confusing large format printing with large format photography. The latter being photographs shot with a large format camera ie: view camera. This forum is populated by large format photographers who generally do darkroom printing of their large format negatives.
You're more likely to find help on a different forum, such as ...
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Kirk Gittings
24-Jan-2014, 10:37
Wish I had more to contribute. We have 5 4900s where I teach and the only problem I have ever seen that remotely looks like this is a clogged ink channel.

Greg Lockrey
24-Jan-2014, 11:33
I'd make sure that you aren't ''double'' profiling. Typically you have the printer profile turned off while the printing program turned on to the proper printer/paper combination. Also make sure the profile for your paper/printer are correct. If you are using a 3880 to compare with, then maybe that's the profile you are using on the 4900.

beauport
24-Jan-2014, 11:58
I'd make sure that you aren't ''double'' profiling. Typically you have the printer profile turned off while the printing program turned on to the proper printer/paper combination. Also make sure the profile for your paper/printer are correct. If you are using a 3880 to compare with, then maybe that's the profile you are using on the 4900.

Peter, thanks and yes I am aware I'm in a large format photograpy site and not one regarding printing per se, but reading through the threads I saw questions and responses to larger printers and is why I brought the issue here.
Greg, thank you. I made sure the profiles I am using were for the specific printer whether the 3880 or 4900 and did not mix intermix these. I don't believe I can be double profiling since I have Photoshop and not the printer handling the color management. I do do a soft proof before hand in Photoshop and this has never caused an issue before but I will skip this step and see if this had any effect.
As I mentioned this is frustrating as the 4900 has been flawless for a few years and this came about basically out of the blue.

Greg Lockrey
24-Jan-2014, 14:07
I'd double check to see what the 4900 is doing. I have a 3800, 4800 and a 9600 and for some reason the 4800 wants to truncate the settings to a place I don't want them to be. The other two behave themselves... ;) You may have to go as so far to look at ink saturation percentage. Perhaps the slider got moved by gremlins.