PDA

View Full Version : Lens like Mamiya RZ67 110mm

miesnert
23-Jan-2014, 17:06
Hello,

I sold my RZ67 kit to be able to buy a large format camera and lenses about a year and a half back. Recently I have been missing the 110mm lens for that camera quiet a bit and I am now wondering if there are any lenses (either with a 6x9 back or with 4x5 sheet film) I could look into that have a similar look and focal lenght?

Thanks for you input.

Taija71A
23-Jan-2014, 20:27
... With 4x5 sheet film that has a similar look and focal length -- Like the 110mm on a Mamiya RZ67?

Thanks for your input.

____

A lens with a F.L. of 200mm (on 4x5 Film)... Will give you the same look and 'Angle Of View' -- As the 110 on your Mamiya RZ67.
Therefore... I would choose a 210mm Lens.
--
Best regards,

-Tim.
_________

David R Munson
24-Jan-2014, 09:49
You might want to look for a Schneider Xenar 210mm f/4.5 if you want the wider aperture, though you'll have a lot more choices and still plenty of shallow DOF if you go for a 210mm f/5.6. I've had Nikkor W and Symmar EX 210mm f/5.6 lenses and found both to be great.

miesnert
26-Jan-2014, 23:53
hi, thanks for your answers. I have a Fujinon 210mm on (permanent) loan from a friend. And tough the angle of view is the same, there is something else about the Mamoya I like, the way it renders the image is incredible. I prefer it over the other Mamiya lenses I owned.

genotypewriter
28-Jan-2014, 21:15
hi, thanks for your answers. I have a Fujinon 210mm on (permanent) loan from a friend. And tough the angle of view is the same, there is something else about the Mamoya I like, the way it renders the image is incredible. I prefer it over the other Mamiya lenses I owned.
If your reasoning is "that warm feeling I get"... then there's very little that anyone can do to help you because you're talking about a very personal thing. Even if you find an identical design of the said lens made for 4x5, and if you shoot the exact same scene, the outputs will be different. The biggest difference will come from the size of the film grain and what it does to the end-effect of the image. If you have tried a ~200mm ~f/5 lens on 4x5 and didn't "feel it", maybe you should try shooting on a smaller format than 6x7... there are heaps of ~f/1.4 lenses to experiment with on the 35mm format (with film or digital) and maybe you might find something there.

Also, I think a lot of us hang on to lenses we like on different formats for the same dilemma. It's the same reason why people collect cars (and various things) like that because each does something in its own appealing way.