PDA

View Full Version : Need some big Rodagon lens usage advice

Tin Can
22-Jan-2014, 14:44
Right now I am using a 240mm Rodagon to enlarge 8x10 3x to 20x24 inches. Seems good to me.

The lens center is 12" from neg and lens center to table is 33" More or less.

I want to know what to expect with 300 and 360 mm Rodagon enlarging a couple different things.

#1 8x10" neg enlarged to 72" wide mural. Which lenses are best and what is the lens to neg distance?

#2 11x14" neg enlarging 3x to 33x42". Here I need to know which lens will do it and which is best. Also need lens to neg and lens to print distances. Can a 300mm Rodagon do that?

I have been looking all over for this type of info and getting nowhere.

Any chance of using 16" or 19" Artar for these purposes?

Drew Wiley
22-Jan-2014, 14:52
Those kind of enlargement factors from 8x10 do not really warrant any special type lenses. Any ordinary Rodagon 300 or 360 or whatever should work fine. I'd be
skeptical about ideal performance with an 11x14 neg, however. But Bob S. on this forum would be the one to ask. If you can get by printing around f/11, an
Apo Nikkor process lens of either 305 or 360 will work superbly for 8x10. I don't have experience with artars.

Bob Salomon
22-Jan-2014, 15:21
You have the best lens now. The 240 is an 810 enlarging lens. All the longer lenses will do is require more enlarger head height which may also increase exposure time slightly but will, depending on what enlarger you have, may increase the possibility for vibration.

If you were making murals then the Rodagon-G would be best but for the magnifications that you are talking about the regular Rodagon would make a better print. Once you are looking at 15x and greater the G would be the superior lens.

Tin Can
22-Jan-2014, 15:49
Thanks Drew and Bob.

It seemed to me the Rodagons were/are best. Edmund Scientific speaks highly of them. The Fotar is good to go with 8x10. I am still curious how to calculate my 11x14 neg to lens and lens to print sizes, BEFORE I modify this Calumet 8x10 enlarger. It has a bigger chasm above the bellows to allow me to create an extension box to use with 11x14 negs.

This is a project of exploration more than a logical move. I have this equipment and the time, I want to try 11x14 enlarging, why not?

Bob Salomon
22-Jan-2014, 16:49
Thanks Drew and Bob.

It seemed to me the Rodagons were/are best. Edmund Scientific speaks highly of them. The Fotar is good to go with 8x10. I am still curious how to calculate my 11x14 neg to lens and lens to print sizes, BEFORE I modify this Calumet 8x10 enlarger. It has a bigger chasm above the bellows to allow me to create an extension box to use with 11x14 negs.

This is a project of exploration more than a logical move. I have this equipment and the time, I want to try 11x14 enlarging, why not?

The 480 Rodagon would cover 11 x 14 I am not sure about the 360mm. I am out of the office for a while so I can not check the old specs on the Rodagons until I get back. I hope by next Wed. but it could be longer.

Ginette
26-Jan-2014, 15:15
See this info Randy http://www.prograf.ru/rodenstock/enlarging_en.html

Tin Can
26-Jan-2014, 15:31
Thanks, I did see that, seems Russia has the only published info available! I did pick up a Rodagon 360mm and the site claims 10x12 coverage, I think that will have to do. I haven't noticed a Rodagon G 480mm for sale lately and none sold on eBay.

I do have a APO Ronar 480 f9 I use as a taking lens, I will try that when I get the 1st prototype built. First iterations are never the best, always plan for 2. Sharpshooters welcome.

See this info Randy http://www.prograf.ru/rodenstock/enlarging_en.html

ic-racer
26-Jan-2014, 20:25
An inexpensive 18" or 19" process lens should be great for a three power enlargement of an 11x14" negative.

Bob will tell you more, but I don't think that Apo Ronar has great coverage. Of course since you already have the lens you can tell us if it works as a 11x14 enlarging lens :)