PDA

View Full Version : 4 months on a cruise ship - what would you bring?

Keytarjunkie
21-Jan-2014, 12:30
I may or may not have just agreed to work on a cruise ship for 4 months (as a musician). The itinerary includes Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Italy, Greece, Netherlands, Russia, Sweden, Norway...however, I won't have a lot of time to spend on foot, and don't really want to do tourist photography (sorry). I'm interested in documenting the ship and other crew members, and making some sort of project out of it. Unless it is a total flop, I might do a few more of these contracts on other ships as well.

So if you had to fit all of your belongings in one suitcase for 4 months, what would you bring with you? Here's what I have (I already ruled out my 8x10):

-Nagaoka 4x5, 150mm Nikkor, 90mm f/8 SA, changing bag, meter, etc
-Mamiya 7, 80mm (and I'd love to get a 43mm, I think this would be a good opportunity)
-Canon 5D II, 35/1.4, crappy 20-35mm lens
-Canon S90 point-and-shoot
-Nikon SB-600 flash (big), Sunpak 111 flash (tiny)
-tripod???

I'm really not sure I will have enough room or time to deal with the 4x5. I'm also not sure I can bring a tripod with me, it might just take up too much space.

I'm seriously leaning towards the Mamiya 7 and 80mm, with no tripod. I might be leaving, like, immediately...so I would have to find a 43mm on short notice, or have it shipped to me. I would also bring a flash.

I'm also seriously considering picking up a Ricoh GR, the new aps-c one.

Any thoughts as to what you would pack?

Tin Can
21-Jan-2014, 12:32
S90 as it is always in your pocket, shoots great and leaves room for other necessities.

Keytarjunkie
21-Jan-2014, 13:00
S90 as it is always in your pocket, shoots great and leaves room for other necessities.

I'm pretty positive I'm going to take it no matter what - it's so small and easy to deal with. I'm a little concerned that I'll want something more substantial than just a point and shoot for 4 months, though. I'm also not sure if the Ricoh GR would replace the S90 for me, or be a good addition, or not be necessary at all.

Tin Can
21-Jan-2014, 13:05
Sure buy the Ricoh, after all you will be making money and, if careful, not spending it.

Get your shots now.

I'm pretty positive I'm going to take it no matter what - it's so small and easy to deal with. I'm a little concerned that I'll want something more substantial than just a point and shoot for 4 months, though. I'm also not sure if the Ricoh GR would replace the S90 for me, or be a good addition, or not be necessary at all.

DrTang
21-Jan-2014, 13:22
Mamiya 7 and a fishing pole

David Schaller
21-Jan-2014, 17:30
Mamiya 7 and a fishing pole
+1!

Darin Boville
21-Jan-2014, 18:50
If it was me?

A Fuji X100s if there is a budget. Extra batteries (only Fuji brand). Extra cordless charger.

A small tripod, at least a gorilla-pod. (They make a big one with a decent ball head.)

Add in the Mamiya 7 if there is still room *after* some sort of tripod.

Then the flash for fill on the bright, bright days.

--Darin

Andrew O'Neill
21-Jan-2014, 19:53
Gravol....:)

AtlantaTerry
21-Jan-2014, 21:11
Canon 5D II, 35/1.4, crappy 20-35mm lens

I believe if you bring a crappy lens you will later regret it.

Lachlan 717
21-Jan-2014, 21:47
Xpan.

smithdoor
22-Jan-2014, 08:45
A spare boat ever thing water prof and a lot of film

Good luck
Dave

Xpan.

Bob Salomon
22-Jan-2014, 09:02
What will they let you take and do they allow you to photograph on the ship and where can you do so? Crews quarters or anywhere?

Rollinhofuji
22-Jan-2014, 10:23
Mamiya 7 (80mm plus 43mm, thatīs what you want to hear, right? ;-)).
Changing bag, daylight tank, developer. Film!

Corran
22-Jan-2014, 15:16
BTW, there's a 43mm lens FS in the classifieds ;)

Honestly I am flabbergasted why you want to screw around on the boat when you are making stops in all those interesting places..."tourist" photography is kind of a stupid term, you can make interesting and compelling shots even of tourist attractions. Regardless, I sure as heck wouldn't bring all that. One camera and a couple lenses, maybe an extra small 35mm camera if you want.

BarryS
22-Jan-2014, 15:43
I'd bring the Mamiya 7 with the 80mm and a 65 or maybe the 50mm. Everyone goes nuts over the 43mm, but I rarely see it used effectively.

Tin Can
22-Jan-2014, 15:54
Good question, I have heard crew are to work and disappear.

What will they let you take and do they allow you to photograph on the ship and where can you do so? Crews quarters or anywhere?

Bob Salomon
22-Jan-2014, 16:47
Good question, I have heard crew are to work and disappear.

They normally do not mingle with the passengers while on board outside of their job. They may be on tours with passengers on shore but they usually stay together with other crew members on the same tour. You ID them by watching where they go when re-boarding since the embarkation doors are usually by an entrance to the crew quarters.

evan clarke
22-Jan-2014, 16:58
I'd bring something to numb me..

onnect17
22-Jan-2014, 17:19
Roundshot 35 and an small point and shot digital. Portable Canon selphy printer (you can send some souvenirs shots to friends and family from around the world). Start a diary of the trip and record all kind of feelings, good or bad. Bring several memory cards and send them back home with backups just in case.

And for god sakes, first and foremost, ENJOY THE TRIP !!!

anglophone1
23-Jan-2014, 11:28
http://clive-evans.photoshelter.com/gallery/Transatlantic-Crossing-10-days-100-people-1000-bottles-of-wine/G0000irwVljE_8rg/
Xpan + m8

anglophone1
23-Jan-2014, 11:31
http://clive-evans.photoshelter.com/gallery/Faces-of-the-Atlantic-Seabourn-Spirit-Lisbon-Ft-Lauderdale-November-2009/G0000OZimsIrQAq0/
Rolleiflex

Jac@stafford.net
27-Jan-2014, 11:22
Given news like this (http://www.nbcnews.com/health/royal-caribbean-cruise-end-early-more-600-sick-2D11999555), then bring diarrhea medicine.

Jody_S
27-Jan-2014, 11:38
For film, if you absolutely must use film: Fuji GS645 or similar.

But I think you would do better with digital and a laptop (if you don't have room for a laptop, then some sort of portable storage device). Something like a mirrorless digital; small enough to fit in a pocket, decent enough lenses and quality, better than (most) P&Ss. Plus, if you don't get the absolute latest model, you won't be that put out if it gets stolen. Of course, for your first trip, you can just take a decent P&S and see what sort of photography you're able to do, and save this decision for the next trip. I'm amazed at the quality I'm able to get from a $200 P&S, and the versatility if you bother to take it off the green square setting.

Leszek Vogt
27-Jan-2014, 13:56
Whatever you get + other valuables, you could get a backpack where metal mesh is incorporated in the material...and you can tie it w/wire cord to unmovable bed post or the like. Even if someone has access to the room, they will not be able to cut-out the fabric to steal the items. Yes, a stolen camera might be a phys loss, but it also prevents you to have a passionate outlet, and not to mention loss of photo memories. I'd take a small laptop so you could at least see review the images + some sort of digi rig and 2-3 primes. Also couple of small external hard drives for a backup/copy and few (tested repeatedly) memory cards. If you'd do any video, you'd need more cards. I might consider, for special vistas, a 6x6 camera like Rollei or Yashi 124...if there is enough room.... or even 6x9 with couple of optics. Keeping the film cool might be an issue. It's bit confining of an island, at least to me, and the view doesn't change much, but since you'll be working....this could be somewhat tolerable. All I can say is bon voyage and occasionally think how much cashola you saved, being away from all the retail bs.

Les

Nathan Potter
27-Jan-2014, 14:45
Based on recent cruise ship events I'd be inclined to bring my private doctor along with a camera that is suitable for small spaces - like a bathroom.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Tin Can
27-Jan-2014, 14:48
Lol

based on recent cruise ship events i'd be inclined to bring my private doctor along with a camera that is suitable for small spaces - like a bathroom.

Nate potter, austin tx.