PDA

View Full Version : Advice, feedback, opinions appreciated on these lenses i was just given, please.

Primo I.
20-Jan-2014, 18:30
I received a few lenses from a a neighbor of mine who knows I am into photography. He got them from a friend who was clearing up a family home before being sold. I would appreciate any fee back on them, what folks on this forum think of them, if they have used them, if they like or dislike them, what format might they best suited for, anything. I am familiar with a couple but have never shot with any of them. I have both a 4x5 (zone VI & Toyo 45g and an 8x10 Deardorff Commercial Studio Camera that I can use with them). I am still a novice at Large format and would appreciate any feedback from the members of this forum. Thank You. I am also posting pictures of them:
1) G. Gennert 6 1/2 inch f:6.8 Series III No. 3a Sylvar Lens (I've read that this could be a Goerz lens but not sure since I could not verify it)
2) SEROCO Anastigmat Series V f:6.8 8x10 lens ( I read this is a Sear Roebuck Branded lens but also a Goez Lens-again, I can not verify if it is a Goerz lens rebranded)
3) Seneca Convertible Anastigmat Series I F:6.3 Focus 6 1/2 Inch ( on the shutter it states 16ft Front element/ 11 feet back element/ f:6.3 EQ)
4) Eremann Doppel Objektlv 1:11 F=14cm (that is all I could make front the writing on the front lens)
5) Wollensak Velostigmat Series II F:4.5 Focus 6 inch
6) Wollensak TASOPE FOCUS 8"
7) Kodak Anastigmat f:6.3 170mm
8) Rodenstack - YSARON f:4.5 105mm108860108861108862108863

Primo I.
20-Jan-2014, 18:32
Here are the other pictures of the lenses:

goamules
20-Jan-2014, 19:10
All of these, except maybe the Velostigmat, are run of the mill lenses from the first couple generations of anastigmats. None of them really stand out as classics, though I'm sure all take sharp, albeit low contrast pictures. Velostigmats are well known Tessar types, that were perhaps a step our two down in the day from Zeiss and Bausch & Lomb Tessars. Again, all will take good pictures, and you can try them and see if any ring well with you. But none are cult lenses in high demand.

Primo I.
20-Jan-2014, 19:17
Thank you. That is all I can ask for is someones honest opinion. I do plan on shooting a few sheets with each lens for the pure fun of it and see what develops. I actually hope I like what I see afterards and see if there is any room for creativity.
Thank you again Garrett, I sincerely appreciate you opinion and more importantly your time.
Regards,
Primo

Jody_S
20-Jan-2014, 20:36
1) G. Gennert 6 1/2 inch f:6.8 Series III No. 3a Sylvar Lens (I've read that this could be a Goerz lens but not sure since I could not verify it)

This is a Dagor-type lens.

Primo I.
20-Jan-2014, 20:52
Thanks. Which Dagor would it mostly resemble? I read its similar to a Syntor Anastigmat. Someone else tells me it resemble a Dagor Double anastigmat. From what I read, I would say its closer to a Syntor than anything else based on the lens elements.
Thank you again, I do appreciate it.

Louis Pacilla
21-Jan-2014, 09:50
Thanks. Which Dagor would it mostly resemble? I read its similar to a Syntor Anastigmat. Someone else tells me it resemble a Dagor Double anastigmat. From what I read, I would say its closer to a Syntor than anything else based on the lens elements.
Thank you again, I do appreciate it.

This a Dagor Dagor manufactured by Goerz America and re-branded for sell by G Gennert Co. A 6 1/2" Dagor is stated by Goerz America to cover whole plate stopped down with a bit of wiggle room for movements .

I added a clip from a G Gennert catalog on the Sylvar lenses

Michael Graves
21-Jan-2014, 10:16
I've always enjoyed the Velostigmat lenses. I've had the 7.5" and the 12" and both gave very nice images. Both needed to be stopped down a bit for optimum sharpness, but gave wonderfully soft and rounded images at the wider apertures. I still have one copy of the 7.5 and am kicking myself still (5 years after the fact) for selling the 12".

goamules
21-Jan-2014, 12:00
Wow, I mispoke, not realizing Goerz let other companies relabel their lenses. So that would be the best of the bunch, in terms of sharpness and contrast.

Primo I.
21-Jan-2014, 17:38
This is great information. I really appreciate this attachment. Thank you.

Primo I.
21-Jan-2014, 17:40
I sincerely appreciate the feedback from everyone. I would have been happy with just one lens that was decent enough to experiment with, but it seems I have at least a couple which is more than I could ask for. I am curious though about the SEROCO Lens and its capabilities since it is supposed to cover 8x10.

Floyd Waller
21-Jan-2014, 17:49
The Kodak 170mm f6.3 Anastigmat is a dialyte formula and can be very sharp like its cousin the 203mm Ektar. I have one of them in an Ilex Universal shutter that is as sharp as any of my more modern lenses!